STAR TREK 2d20

Licensing Permissions for DnD 5th Edition

I'm writing adventures for 5e and I thought I might format some of them for FG. The documentation states that as long as it follows the DM Guild Rules its should be fine, but only mentions the core rule books. On the Guild Website it states:

"Your work can use any of the 5th Edition D&D rules published by Wizards of the Coast, plus decades of published material for the Forgotten Realms, Ravenloft, or Eberron setting".

This suggests I can use rules from Volo's Guide to Monsters and other such models.

The DM Guild also says I can use either my own art, or stock art from specific, sanctioned downloads--ONLY for distribution through the DMs guild.

I know I can't use a home brew setting, but if I create a home brew monster or class, does that count as using the SRD license in an acceptable manner?

Finally, I know can I sell FG content through the DM's Guild:

https://support.dmsguild.com/hc/en-u...bleTop-Content

Can I get permission to sell on the FG Website?

A lot of questions I know...

Thanks

Blog Entries
    In order to sell on the FG website you will have to contact SmiteWorks directly at [email protected].

I'll answer with my understanding and experiences.

You can sell on the FG website if all of your content complies with the SRD. But that means you can NOT use the DMsGuild license which means you can not use content from any WotC books (PHB, Volos, etc), except for the SRD.

On theDMsGuild you can do everything you talked about. You can use content, including monsters, classes, races, magic items, except artwork from any of the WotC books (like Volos) OR from any other DMsGuild product. For instance, you can buy a copy of Monsters of the Guild, and then use a bunch of those monsters as well as ones from the MM & Volos in your adventure. Of course, that means that anyone else that published on the Guild can use yoru monsters and magic items as well, and you can ONLY distribute via the Guild.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    Generally you will need to be an established publisher to sell on the FG website AND you will lose access to the other things that the DMsGuild offers.
    The other place you can legally sell FG content is on the RPGNow/DriveThruRPG sites where you can sell FG material for 5e that complies with the SRD license.

Blog Entries
    Except the only OBS site with the Smiteworks permission to sell .mod is DMs Guild.

If you want to use materials from the books, DMs Guild is the best place. If you want to develop your own IP and keep it, then using the Open Gaming License is the best path.
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrdin Potter View Post
    Except the only OBS site with the Smiteworks permission to sell .mod is DMs Guild.

If you want to use materials from the books, DMs Guild is the best place. If you want to develop your own IP and keep it, then using the Open Gaming License is the best path.
    https://www.rpgnow.com/browse.php?ke...t=&pfrom=&pto=

Blog Entries
    I cannot see what that sends me to on my phone, but that is the answer that Doug gave me when I asked the same question a week ago.

Otherwise contact him directly.
    Last edited by Myrdin Potter; November 10th, 2018 at 23:31.
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

Blog Entries
    RPG Now and DriveThruRPG share the exact same list, because, well, they're both the same store. Lot of AAW stuff and whatnot, but the important thing that stuck out to me (that I saw anyway, couldn't be bothered scrolling through multiple pages) is that every product was from established publishers, same as the FG Store. DMs Guild has an exclusive ability for any Joe Schmoe willing to accept the specific limitations (as well as only 50% of the commission vs. 65% for non-OBS-exclusive projects or 70% for OBS-exclusive) that OBS and WotC enforce for DMG.

Blog Entries
    You need to publish on DMsGuild or have a License Agreement in place with us to sell outside of DMsGuild. AAW Games has a license agreement with us so they can sell through OBS, on Paizo.com and their own site.

Quote Originally Posted by ddavison View Post
    You need to publish on DMsGuild or have a License Agreement in place with us to sell outside of DMsGuild. AAW Games has a license agreement with us so they can sell through OBS, on Paizo.com and their own site.
    What about ENWorld and their magazine EN5ider and other publishing? I know they have said they are open to working with new authors/creators/artists but I don't know if they make .mod versions.

Thread Information