DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Checking my understanding of 5E rules

After many years of playing 3.5E/Pathfinder, I'm getting ready to run my first 5E game, and I'd just like to make sure I'm up on the key rules - particularly where they differ from the earlier editions.

Am I right in saying that there is no way to interfere with a spell being cast in combat? The opportunity attack appears to only be used when a character moves out of another's threeatened area.

Also, is there no penalty for shooting a missile weapon into melee? There is a rule that you have disadvantage if a foe is next to you when making a ranged attack (which also applies to spells that need a ranged attack roll), but nothing about shooting into melee that I can see.

Blog Entries
    The guidance in the rules is cover. Generally a -2 to fire into melee.
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

Blog Entries
    Honestly? Forget every rules you know about 3.5/PF. Just pretend 5E is a completely different game. If you don't, you are constantly going to be be going, "what about...?"

AoO work differently, yes.
    Yes there are ways to interrupt spells, usually with other spells and not with combat attacks.
    Yes you can shoot into melee with no penalty.

5E is very streamlined. No penalties or modifiers for a bunch of things. Generally you have modifiers for cover, and most everything else is handled by advantage/disadvantage.

Attached is a doc I did when my group switched. Haven't looked at it in years, so some of it may be wrong and I doubt I would approach it this way now.

Again though, it's not just some rule changes, its a completely different system with different design objectives. I suggest you approach it that way.Major Rules and Playability Changes in 5E vs 3.zip

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thanks for that, LordEntrails. I am trying to treat the it as a different game, but I'm just checking these differences to make sure I haven't missed something.

Also, a saving throw roll of 1 isn't an automatic failure, and a roll of 20 isn't an automatic success?

If in doubt, use advantage/disadvantage. Move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Callum View Post
    Also, a saving throw roll of 1 isn't an automatic failure, and a roll of 20 isn't an automatic success?
    True. The same goes for Skill (Ability) rolls of 1 and 20. Only Attack rolls that result in 1 or 20 are auto success/failure.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nylanfs View Post
    +1 . . .
    FG:Unity Ultimate License Holder: Meaning anyone can join my games, even those with just the Demo . . .
    Timezone: UTC-6/CST (My 'Current' Local Time)
    Currently Running: An Old-School Essentials campaign, set in Hârn . . . Here is the discord channel -> Hârnic OSE.
    Current Design Project: Developing a stand-alone "Hârnic 5e" setting for OSE and Fifth Edition . . .

Here are two things that help me as I dm:
    Top 5 rules everyone gets wrong (by Taking20)

The sage advice compilation PDF.

I review these periodically just as a reminder, because I still make mistakes.

Link to the newer v2.2 Sage Advice Compilation PDF: https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/d...Compendium.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by GunnarGreybeard View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nylanfs View Post
    +1 . . .
    ++1

Thread Information