DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

CoreRPG ruleset: Does targeting in the CT do anything?

I have been fiddling around with the CT for a good half hour but cannot see any effect or result coming out of the Combat Tracker when I target someone.

I tried:

dropping dice from the actor's char sheet on the CT
    dropping dice from the actor's char sheet on the target token on the map
    dropping dice from hotkey on the CT
    rolling dice from the actor's char sheet
    dragging-dropping the roll result from the chat on the CT

There just seems to be no effect at all.

Can someone confirm if this feature is non-functional or am I missing something here?

Blog Entries
    Targeting in CoreRPG makes the target references available to the dice rolls.
    Other than that what are you expecting it to do?

Hi damned,

Whenever I make a roll against a target, there is no text in the chat box that would indicate the target. My basic expectation, even in the absence of the advanced functionalities from the 5e ruleset, would be to see some indication in the chat that a roll was made against the target.
    But it is looks like there is no target set. Just the plain roll is announced. I listed all the different ways I have tried to make rolls on the target, but in the chat they just look the same as when you make a simple un-targeted roll.

I am logged in as GM.
    The actor and the target are both in the CT.
    I dropped the target button on the target and the CT shows in the targeting view/row that the character has the target NPC targeted.

Blog Entries
    Thats more about the rolls themselves.
    The rolls dont know that they should be using targets.

If you launch 5e and have Magrel the Barbarian target the Sorceress Sophia and then you pick up 2d20 and throw them it will do the same thing as CoreRPG. It will roll 2d20 and report the dice result.

When you do an attack roll in 5e it is programmed to look at the targeting information and use that in one or more ways.

CoreRPG has no understanding of what you want those dice you picked up to do other than to roll them. It has no attack rolls or saving throws or damage rolls. It cant - it has no concept of what stats you are using or how your roll interacts with the targets stats. There is no HP or AC or pretty much any stat.

CoreRPG knows your name and for NPCs it also knows size and reach - and thats all that it really knows.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    CoreRPG has no understanding of what you want those dice you picked up to do other than to roll them. It has no attack rolls or saving throws or damage rolls. It cant - it has no concept of what stats you are using or how your roll interacts with the targets stats. There is no HP or AC or pretty much any stat.

CoreRPG knows your name and for NPCs it also knows size and reach - and thats all that it really knows.
    That is what I suspected. Thank you for clarifying.

Do you think it is possible to create an extension that links the CT and the rolls from character sheets?

Specifically, as a start: call the name of the target from the CT and append the chat message about the roll with the target's name.

So, this roll would show the target's name from the CT:

weapon attack.png

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Szabtom View Post
    That is what I suspected. Thank you for clarifying.

Do you think it is possible to create an extension that links the CT and the rolls from character sheets?

Specifically, as a start: call the name of the target from the CT and append the chat message about the roll with the target's name.

So, this roll would show the target's name from the CT:

weapon attack.png
    Absolutely.
    This is what all CoreRPG rulesets do.
    Have a look at a post by Trenloe where he describes how to create a roll.
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...(dice-rolling)

Or you can look at MoreCore it quite possibly has a roll similar to one you want.

Thank you, I will see if I can muster the courage to dive into the code.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Szabtom View Post
    Thank you, I will see if I can muster the courage to dive into the code.
    You should try it.
    And dont be put off if the first 5 attempts are unsuccessful.
    Good luck.

Blog Entries
    +100 for using MoreCore and skipping the coding!

Thread Information