5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Fantasy Grounds crashes regularly

Hello,

A few days ago, i decided with a few fiends to give Fantasy Grounds a try since we were no longer able to meet in person.
    At first everthing seemed to be going well, but after about 2 Hours the program crashed. I was Hosting our Campaign and saw a window pop up,
    before the crash. It said something about the program not working properly, which would be why it was closed. It also said, if any data was getting corrupted,
    i should replace the current db.xml with a backup. After the crash i was able to start the campaign again with seemingly no loss or corruption of data.
    Just about 1 to 2 Hours later, the same problem occured again. This time we had lost all character sheets and all modules had to be loaded again.
    We were able to handle the problem more or less, using the backups, but after another half hour the game crashed again, with the same window popping up, stating the program was not
    running correctly. Again we kind of got most of our data back, but we would like to prevent future program crashes.
    To me, the problem seems not to be connected to virtual memory use. Fantasy Grounds was only using 460.000 KB.
    We are all using the Standard subscription. Additionally, after the program crashed, my Players were still able to stay in the campaign and use the program. Only after about 1 Minute did the program also crash on their Computers.
    Changing to the 64 bit Version also did not help.
    Has anyone ever had similar problems? Is there anything we can do about it?

I wouldn't recommend using the experimental 64 bit version for anything other than testing - it will crash when masking/unmasking images (a known issue).

Are you running through Steam or straight from the Windows menu?

It sounds like you may be running out of memory, but the 460MB you mention shouldn't cause a problem.

In order to track down the problem, please try to capture the error messages that appear. If the message is something like "Fantasy Grounds has stopped responding" - do not end task. Sometimes Fantasy Grounds has to do some intensive tasks and can go into not responding for a while. So give it a bit of time to come back.

If this is not what is happening - please provide more info, screenshots while it's happening if possible, details of error messages, what is being done at the time, etc..
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Oh, and welcome to the forums!

Sorry for forgetting that... and also sorry you're having issues. We should be able to help, so please provide a bit more info and we should get you playing smoothly pretty quickly!
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Another thing to check would be where you have your data directory stored. We have had some reports of issues when the data folder is placed on a network synced folder such as OneDrive, Dropbox, etc. and a sync operation occurs while Fantasy Grounds is using the files.

Thanks for the quick Responses

I am running FG straight from Windows.
    Also i will try to get ahold of a screenshot as soon as possible.
    Could the problem be caused by another player using the 64 bit Version? we were not Aware that this Version was only
    supposed to be used for Tests. I was inclined to believe that in such a case that Players program should crash, while the other Players, including me as the host, should be unaffected.

Is this true, or could it actually be the root of the problem?

How many tokens do you have in your shared folder also?

Blog Entries
    Don't know if mixing 32 and 64 bit versions would cause problems. Certainly possible as it is only an experimental version. Typically these types of crashes are due to process size, but sounds like you already checked that. On the player side what is their memory usage?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Over the last week i often ran Fantasy grounds in the background when using my computer. Since the crashes seemed to occur randomly, i hoped to get a screenshot of the error this way, but there was never another problem.
    When we met again last sunday Fantasy Grounds crashed again after a player had the insane idea of rolling 10000 d10000. Without being able to diyplay a result the program froze and the error message i was searching for popped up again.
    As suggested above, i did not close Fantasy Grounds, but let it be for about 3 minutes. After that it worked properly again and since i have requested not to role insanly many dice anymore, there also were no more freezes. So i believe i found our problem,
    apologize for making all of you think about a problem as stupid as this and thank you for your time and all the suggestions!

You should take that dice roll and apply it as damage to the offending player's character.

Blog Entries
    Players will be all "ooohhh shiny" when presented with something new like a VTT. They will be clicking all sorts of things and spinning their (and maybe other players) tokens on the map, maybe drawing moustaches on shared npc images and rolling all sorts of dice combinations.
    They will settle down after a session or two and if they dont... a gentle prod from you will help.

Thread Information