STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Map Pins with Text extension?

I've been thinking about this for a while and having map pins with "name tags" on them would be extremely useful. Before I did to deeply into this, is there an extension already in existence that does something like this already?

The simplest description for this would be whatever is "pinned" on the image would have it's "name" field used as the Pin's displayed text.

So if you pinned a room with the name "1. ENTRY" the text attached to the pin and displayed would be "1. ENTRY".

Something like this.

Last edited by celestian; October 22nd, 2018 at 17:33.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

The closest I've found is this one. but its not exactly the same as what you described.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...abel-Extension
    For support with any of my extensions, visit my #mattekure-stuff channel on Rob2e's discord https://discord.gg/rob2e

Blog Entries
    What I'd like (to be added to CoreRPG, natch) is a sort of "sticky notes" thing. Do what you've got there, but it opens up a small (not as huge as the standard Story page, but resizable) window of formatted text, which would be shareable to players. But I don't want the Story window or whatever littered with the sticky notes.

You probably know you can just type any word in the chat pane, but instead of hitting ENTER, you simply drag and drop the selected word to a token /pin? to name it...

Quote Originally Posted by mattekure View Post
    The closest I've found is this one. but its not exactly the same as what you described.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...abel-Extension
    That seems very useful but would be duplicating placement of pins. I'm hoping I can just find something that sticks it to the existing pins and I can just run the extension. If not I'll have to see if it can be done and write it myself. That said this extension might give me a few pointers on what needs to be done to make that happen.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Targas View Post
    You probably know you can just type any word in the chat pane, but instead of hitting ENTER, you simply drag and drop the selected word to a token /pin? to name it...
    No, why would I know that!

I mean, I knew you could use the chat text to name hotkeys and... well other things, but never thought about them for pins!

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I cant seem to get this to work at all for pins. dragging it onto a pin doesnt rename anything that I can tell. It does work for NPC's.
    For support with any of my extensions, visit my #mattekure-stuff channel on Rob2e's discord https://discord.gg/rob2e

It turns out there really is no way to interact with pins like this via API. I've added a wishlist item here (go vote!) for down the road/fgu+.

I might can come up with a kludgy way to do it later but for now imma wait.
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    No, why would I know that!

I mean, I knew you could use the chat text to name hotkeys and... well other things, but never thought about them for pins!
    I was assuming it would work with pins as well, therefore ‚pins?‘. It does not. It is working with tokens, where you can hoover over a token to get the description you put into the chat box. I use it for putting down e.g. tavern symbols of a town, with different names like ‘the silver rat‘, ‚whistling dwarf‘, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Targas View Post
    I was assuming it would work with pins as well, therefore ‚pins?‘. It does not. It is working with tokens, where you can hoover over a token to get the description you put into the chat box. I use it for putting down e.g. tavern symbols of a town, with different names like ‘the silver rat‘, ‚whistling dwarf‘, etc.
    when I was playing with it, it only worked for tokens that had been added from the combat tracker. Are you saying you got it working with tokens straight from the token bag? I'm curious because entities from the Combat tracker have a name record associated with it, while as far as I can tell, when you drop just a token, it doesnt, so the rename doesnt work. I suppose I could create a "Tavern" npc with just that image, then drop it several times onto the map.

Thread Information