DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
    ok so ...

Session = GM started table of Game X with at least 1 player connected through alias for at least 1 hour?

so the only "reconnects" would be if the GM has to restart the table mid session?

hopefully that link has a glossary of what the terms mean :rofl:

I'm honestly a little sad to see 5E dominating that much when so many vastly better systems are doing a tiny percentage of its share. The fanmade rulesets are obviously at a marked disadvantage given that they take some work to install, but I would've at least expected Pathfinder to be a much larger chunk of the pie. On the other hand, it is nice to see Savage Worlds doing as well as it is, so there's that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Valatar View Post
    I'm honestly a little sad to see 5E dominating that much when so many vastly better systems are doing a tiny percentage of its share. The fanmade rulesets are obviously at a marked disadvantage given that they take some work to install, but I would've at least expected Pathfinder to be a much larger chunk of the pie. On the other hand, it is nice to see Savage Worlds doing as well as it is, so there's that.
    System preferences are just that - preferences.
    5E on all platforms and face to face and online and in sales shows similar stats.
    People vote with their wallets and their time.

True, but I wonder how much of it is because of the perception that DnD *IS* Role-Playing, and Role-Playing is DnD.

In other words, everybody's heard of Dungeons and Dragons, while only some (most?) of those actually in the hobby have heard of the others - so new people naturally gravitate to what they know ie DnD, and its only those who have been around for a while play the other systems.

(And before anyone takes offense, I'm talking in general terms - yes, there will be exceptions, but I think the points I make are valid for a lot / a majority / most people, no?)
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

Quote Originally Posted by dulux-oz View Post
    True, but I wonder how much of it is because of the perception that DnD *IS* Role-Playing, and Role-Playing is DnD.

In other words, everybody's heard of Dungeons and Dragons, while only some (most?) of those actually in the hobby have heard of the others - so new people naturally gravitate to what they know ie DnD, and its only those who have been around for a while play the other systems.
    Maybe in some respects - probably for a lot of new people. For longer term role-players I know a lot who've played many different RPGs over the years and their go-to fantasy system is now D&D 5e, and it's what they mostly play (some exclusively).
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by dulux-oz View Post
    Wise words, of someone experiencing it in the past. Although I started in the 1970 where there were not much choice on ADnD, I would say the same. We started afterwards playing Midgard, Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Traveller, Powers&Perils, Runequest, Das Schwarze Auge, Harnmaster, ADnD2e, etc.
    Only later we started playing DnD5E, Castles & Crusades, Pathfinder, and finally 13th Age. :P

I might be an exception, though.

Blog Entries
    My daughter is 20yo and when she or any of her friends recruit for players they always ask, "You wanna play D&D?" They find when they ask that but referencing other systems or even "You wanna play an RPG?", people act like they have no idea what they are being asked. As soon as they mention D&D, people are like, oh yeah I know what that is. To alot of them, it's all D&D but called by a different name.
    FG:Unity Ultimate License Holder: Meaning anyone can join my games, even those with just the Demo . . .
    Timezone: UTC-6/CST (My 'Current' Local Time)
    Currently Running: An Old-School Essentials campaign, set in Hârn . . . Here is the discord channel -> Hârnic OSE.
    Current Design Project: Developing a stand-alone "Hârnic 5e" setting for OSE and Fifth Edition . . .

I started playing D&D with the original basic set (the one with B1 In Search of the Unknown) and AD&D was a pretty new thing. Over the decades I've tried a number of games in a myriad of genres. I've liked some better than others and certainly liked some better than D&D (any edition). My favorites being Rolemaster (RMSS), Shadowrun (2nd, 3rd), Traveller (My own homebrew) and Rifts (I've got a love/hate with the system).

What I have found, however, is that D&D is generally a constant. People might have heard of other games, but most of them know and play some version of D&D. One of the reasons that Pathfinder did so well is that deep down people see it as D&D and they never really tried to change that. It was the closeness to D&D that brought people in and kept them there.

You can get a group together and teach them a new game, but most people will compare it to D&D (unless they are simply learning a new game without having ever played D&D).

Most editions of D&D are pretty simple and quick to learn and Wizard's has done a lot to make sure this is the case.

Finally, at least where Fantasy Grounds is concerned, the 5E ruleset is simply superior in so many ways to the others I've tried, especially in terms of support. I've looked at some of the other rulesets, but my biggest problem with them is I spend a lot of time worrying that it won't be updated (or noticing that it hasn't been updated in years). An example: I bought D20 modern and was sad how behind the times it was, I've been looking at Savage Worlds but why spend money now when I know that it'll be obsolete in a few months and I'll have to buy again, Traveller is still waiting on starship implementation after months, Shadowrun is an edition behind, etc.

In contrast bug fixes come to 5E weekly, modules come out before you can buy on Amazon, and the system is well implemented and fully automated where it counts.

Just some thoughts...

I agree with most of the sentiment here regarding the distribution of games. While I am not a 5e player or GM and won't ever be, it does seem to dominate the game market across the board from my perspective. As disappointing as this is for me personally, RPG growth across the board seems to be increasing because of it, which is good for the community as a whole. When I go to my FLGS to run games I always get the question, "Are you running 5e?" My answer is an emphatic, "No, but I am running [list of a multitude of other game systems and settings]. Would you like to try a demo of those, no knowledge needed with pre-gens ready for you - just like if you were at GenCon?" I get a shrug or if on forums I just get no other response.

So based on my experience, the numbers generated here seem to be right on par with what I experience away from FG - and the experience of other GMs I talk to. I believe it is simple brand recognition as others have pointed out. D&D is a household name (and for some generations/individuals a source of misunderstood stereotyping). Perhaps if there were an immensely popular streaming broadcast with professional actors playing Savage Worlds, Call of Cthulhu, Traveller, etc., then we would see the popularity of those particular systems skyrocketing. I think that there are many GMs and players of a certain age and experience who would rather do another game system they like better but are simply settling for what they can find an audience for. I'm just a hard-headed peon though. So I'll live in my happy isolation, content to gather together whatever players I can who are willing to separate themselves from 5e.

Thanks for bearing with me through my rant.

Thread Information