DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 5 First 1234 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyar View Post
    When this is scheduled to be released in the wild and is there any value of getting Savage Worlds products in FG now?

As stated above, PDF is usually ready about 3 weeks after the KS, so mid-December. Physical books will take longer, of course. As for getting them now, go for it! Per Ikael in this very thread, "Backward compatibility is one of the most important design principal in SWADE including FG conversion I am working on". So there's official word from the FG-side to help ensure backwards-compatibility. Then again it shouldn't be a big issue even for stuff that isn't changed out in prior modules as you should still be able to use them largely as-is. Either using them as they are or doing minor tweaks as you play them. Most things won't need much in the way of changes beyond maybe substituting Athletics for some of the rolls it would replace or the like.
    Lenny Zimmermann
    Metairie, LA

Per the FG Fri with Shane last week, the settings will get varying levels of treatment depending in part on how impacted they are. He mentioned for example that Deadlands would be getting a new edition. Some of this is tied to current stock of titles in print and stated that rather than just reprint existing editions going forward, they might take the opportunity to update them depending on how significant the changes are. Others may just get online guidance such as " if an NPC has d6 in Swimming and d10 in Throwing, just give it the average of d8 in Athletics."

Of more interest specifically to this forum is that Doug revealed that the FG plans are to make SWADE a new ruleset, although no pricing was mentioned. Once it is ready to go, the current ruleset will be frozen and it will be removed from the store, but it will continue to get maintenance releases as necessary to keep it working with updates to Core FG functionality. As for settings, the plan is to finish out any settings that may be currently in dev (although he didn't mention which ones these were), but after than all new settings would be developed for the new version of the ruleset only. The upside of this is that GMs (such as myself) that have existing campaigns ongoing, are not forced to switch to the new version of SW mid-campaign and going forward, all existing settings will continue to work as they do today. So, theoretically, you will be able to keep using the existing ruleset and settings you may already own in perpetuity and will not have to spend another dime to do so. However, you would probably need to make the switch to SWADE if and when you were interested in running any new settings released after SWADE, but that will probably be true for those buying new settings in print or pdf post-SWADE anyway. This however, also presumes that if you upgrade to SWADE and want to use it with an existing setting, conversion will not necessary be done for you by FG devs, in the same way that you currently have to manually add Guts in as a skill in Deadlands Reloaded since it was released when Guts was still part of core (SWEX). In other words, for the example given above, GMs would need to go through the NPCs in the setting and update any that have a d6 in Swimming and a d10 in Throwing to be changed to having a d8 in Athletics using whatever guidance PEG puts out, just as you would if you own the print/pdf version of a setting and want to use it with SWADE at a real table.
    Last edited by mac40k; October 23rd, 2018 at 16:18.

It is not decided yet if SWADE needs to be own ruleset or if changes can and should be applied to current ruleset. The project is still in planning & design phase. Points that Doug mentioned in the FGF is just one possibility what the outcome might be.
    "Alright, you primitive screwheads, listen up: THIS... is my BOOMSTICK!" -- Ash Williams, Army of Darkness

Post your SavageWorlds ruleset feature requests and issue reports here!

I know it's all speculation at this point, but I sure hope that I don't have to re-buy everything I just bought a few months ago. Either way I am looking forward to the Savage Worlds changes.
    Last edited by Claybor; October 23rd, 2018 at 18:26.

I'll buy it if required. If I was running 5e I'd be expected to buy every silly update for that game that came out every few months. SW doesn't do that so I'm not upset about paying to upgrade/update FG for it.
    Ultimate license owner.
    I use FG online as well as at the tabletop. I usually stream my games; Savage Worlds - Sat at 6, Sunday at 2 and 6pm and 5e on Monday at 6:30 pm Pacific time. Look for 7thSim on Twitch!

I think having to pay again will be a bad idea. It is already difficult to find people to play Savage this will break community in two pieces, people that keep old ruleset and play only Deluxe and people with new ruleset SWADE. If possible it will be great if it could be added to old ruleset like we had in the past Savage3.pak and Savage4.pak or something like it.
    Also we have the great update to Unity someday that will make all this different and it is a big question mark.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarobl View Post
    I think having to pay again will be a bad idea. It is already difficult to find people to play Savage this will break community in two pieces, people that keep old ruleset and play only Deluxe and people with new ruleset SWADE.
    This is exactly what is going to happen anyway as Pinnacle are getting you to pay for the new version of the RPG rulebook - which is standard practice throughout the RPG industry, I'm not having a go at Pinnacle.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarobl View Post
    If possible it will be great if it could be added to old ruleset like we had in the past Savage3.pak and Savage4.pak or something like it.
    But then there's need to be two versions in the same code (causing additional work to implement and maintain). Because, as you say, some people will want to play the new version and some people will want to play the old version. And you can't take away the old version FG ruleset because people have paid for that and will want to continue to use it - for the old SW RPG rules. And the SW3 to SW4 upgrade you mention in the past was (mostly) a change in the underlying ruleset architecture for the same RPG system version - so that made sense to provide it as a FG ruleset upgrade at no additional cost.

I understand that people don't like paying more money on top of what they've already spent. But this is a new edition of the rules and will require a lot of coding in FG to get it slick and commercial quality, and ensure that you can still use the previous version adventures/modules. The FG developers who do that (who aren't salaried SmiteWorks employees) are supported by royalties on the product sales. Expecting developers to do a big upgrade, to a new RPG version, included with the original ruleset for free is a little bit of a stretch - in my opinion.

But, as Ikael (the main Savage Worlds developer) has stated, the design decisions are still ongoing... I'm sure Pinnacle themselves might be involved in that discussion too.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    This is exactly what is going to happen anyway as Pinnacle are getting you to pay for the new version of the RPG rulebook - which is standard practice throughout the RPG industry, I'm not having a go at Pinnacle.
    I just wish it could be avoided at this community. I understand how it works and why PEG is doing it. But maybe it can be spared inside FG and make things better.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    But, as Ikael (the main Savage Worlds developer) has stated, the design decisions are still ongoing... I'm sure Pinnacle themselves might be involved in that discussion too.
    If you can reach Ikael and as he will be talking with PEG maybe they can push a Kickstarter goal to allow him to update it without being an issue for current Savage Worlds players inside Fantasy Grounds... they did a goal to pay for a Streaming Gameplay... I guess this is more beneficial in the long term for the community that play via VTT.

Thanks for the clarification Ikael. My impression was based on Shane asking Doug point blank what the plans for FG were and that was what Doug said. I don't recall him qualifying that, but that could just be faulty memory on my part. I was glad to hear it as being one of those GMs with an ongoing campaign, I had been wondering what the impact to my game will be if the updates are made to the existing ruleset, which I won't have the option to opt out of.

I would be happy to pay for a SWADE ruleset. It has quite a few changes and I reckon it is worth it, particularly if it were to get a new theme I haven't backed the kickstarter as I only run games online so I plan on just buying the FG ruleset when it lands.
    Ultimate License Holder - My games are free to play
    Timezone: GMT

Thread Information