Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

PC Token/ Portraits - Sharing

I haven't used FG for a really long time. It was okay, but one of the things that really drove me nuts was all the crap I had to do to get players to see their own tokens. I don't remember clearly but I think it involved emailing them the images and having them put them in a certain folder on their local machine. Anytime I changed the tokens, or added new ones, I had to do this process over again. I hated it and was one of the reasons I moved on to a different VTT.

Here's our situation: I make tokens/portraits myself for the PCs. I want to assign said tokens to each PC in FG, then have the players see these tokens on their end.

How do I do that? Do I still have to email them the images and have them put the files in a certain folder?

Thanks.
    ::: Shane
    ::: It's better to have loved and lost than to never have had a good pair of speakers.

Blog Entries
    If you are assigning the tokens and portraits just do that.
    There is no easy way for them to see your tokens and portraits still.

It used to be, a few years ago, that GMs couldn’t assign a portrait to a PC. But that changed - but portraits still require whoever assigns the portrait to have those files on their local computer. So, if you want to give the players a lot of choices, from what the GM has on their computer, the best way is to take a screenshot of the files as thumbnails and share that screenshot with the players through FG - then they can tell the GM which portrait to assign to their character.
    Last edited by Trenloe; October 16th, 2018 at 05:38.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Please note, that portrait‘s shouldn‘t be of big size. Usually a 160x160 pixel picture should be sufficient, only requiring approx. 3kb space. You could create bigger portraits, but they would be scaled down for display in the upper left of the screen anyway, and will slow down game loading time and decrease the already low amount of free RAM FG is having.

To make this as clear as possible.

- You as a DM can assign any image you want to a PC and it will display for everyone in game. You do not need to share files with the players.

- Players cannot see your collection of portrait images unless you share the files with them directly or attach them to a PC/NPC.

- Tokens are separate from portraits and they can be shared with players if you put them into the "shared" folder in the fantasygrounds data directory, these however cannot be used as PC portraits.

Lostsanity explained it quite well. Players on their client‘s end could even open their Character sheet, and drag and drop any file they think has a good portrait on it. This makes my statement above more important, because some might even not know of the FG RAM limitations and could crash your whole FG campaign by dragging MB size files of portraits around. Keep file size as low as possible and ask them to send you the portrait they want to use. Some of my players are not adept in file handling and just dump a picture they like without knowing what impact it might have.
    Later on, you wonder why your campaign suddenly crashes..

https://rolladvantage.com/tokenstamp/

This webapp is highly useful when it comes to portrait or token cropping and faster than dropping a file into photoshop.

Set the output to borderless (square) and you will be good to go

K, thx, guys. I got it now.
    ::: Shane
    ::: It's better to have loved and lost than to never have had a good pair of speakers.

I also use this program for making my tokens/portraits.

https://tokentool.nerps.net/

Quote Originally Posted by garrion_sw View Post
    I also use this program for making my tokens/portraits.

https://tokentool.nerps.net/
    Nice! Thanks for the link.
    Native Texan. Tabletop Gaming since 1977. Ultimate License holder. Life-long Trekkie. Traveller fanatic. Die-hard Savage. OSR enthusiast. 1930's Pulp aficionado.
    Currently Running:
    Cypher System: Shotguns, Sorcery & Shenanigans
    Currently Playing:
    Shadowdark: ShadowRim Excursion
    Savage Worlds: Hell Divers
    Ambition & Avarice: Maelstrom Island
    Time Zone: Central Daylight Time (GMT-5)

Thread Information