STAR TREK 2d20
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    You should look at the silver lining: You're now free to find something that will, hopefully, better suit you.

Regardless of how you felt about the game, there must of been some incompatibility that you were, apparently, unaware of.

And while you feel set upon, it is the GM's responsibility to identify such things and not let them interfere with the game they're trying to run. However much time you think you put into the game, the GM likely puts is far more.

If "they" (be it the GM or a plurality of players) didn't feel you were compatible with their game, you probably weren't.

Better that you know the truth rather than have them string you along even longer and punish you in some less honorable way (i.e. make it hard on your character, kill or punish you in game, constantly oppose or ignore your ideas and decisions, etc.)

I am currently living in China.

Well, I was initially told that I was being let go because I recently started running a campaign from the same module, however I stated that I had read the module beforehand when I signed up with them and that I planned to run it as my first campaign as a GM in the future, so it shouldn't have been a surprise. When I brought that up I was told that it was because the player I had replaced was returning, however that does not seem like a reasonable excuse, since a new player was brought on only two weeks ago. It seems more likely now that he was brought on to replace me.

Ironically, my best friend just confessed to me that he has been playing D&D behind my back, because he thought I might be jealous. I told him we are not 'exclusive' so he can play D&D with as many people as he wants, as long as he's protected (always wears armor with a good AC)! LOL

Depends I have had to "dump" a player twice, and I have one I avoid at a local convention that I generally attend. The former were a bad match, brought RL issues into game negatively, and the last personalty just grates on me.
    Ultimate License Holder
    Current Campaign: Necessary Evil
    Current Project: Dawn of Daikaiju: Converting, Deadlands: Reloaded The last Sons - Quality Assurance Checking
    Discord: Mgrancey#4994
    "Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "what's the worst thing that could happen?" -- Maxim 14 of The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries
    Adventure: Keep Living Life Like There's No Tomorrow and You'll Eventually Be Right,

Quote Originally Posted by Travellintroll View Post
    Well, I was initially told that I was being let go because I recently started running a campaign from the same module, however I stated that I had read the module beforehand when I signed up with them and that I planned to run it as my first campaign as a GM in the future, so it shouldn't have been a surprise.
    You did, conveniently, leave this bit of information out of your initial explanation of events... proving, again, that there is always more to these stories.

As a player, I would be annoyed at the fact that another player had been through the adventure we were going through. I only have so much game time and don't need someone spoiling the adventure. There is simply no way for them to not poison the well. Playing an RPG is not a passive experience like watching a movie twice. That said, if a Player divulged that they'd run an adventure before, I'd simply inform the others that I would be looking for a different game (which might cause a whole other issue in the game depending on the pre-existing relationships or roles players are playing, etc.)

And, as a GM, I would never run a player that had been through an adventure I was running. I frequently make changes to adventures that I run--introducing new elements and removing others. I'd feel even more compelled to mix things up for the benefit of one player who would, likely, end up misleading the other players with expectations that were now false.

So, in general, that seems like a legitimate reason to excuse a player from a game.

Have you considered that those that thought it would be "ok" or "gave you the benefit of the doubt" found that it wasn't after a few sessions? More likely than not, though, this was probably just one of several reasons you weren't well-suited for the game.

I hope you've moved on to greener pastures.

Thread Information