FG Spreadshirt Swag
    Blog Entries

Warforged healing

A player is replacing a character with a warforged rouge. We are both new to this race and my question is if there is any difference in healing a living machine? I know that golems take things like acid and lighting and such to recharge hp. How do you heal a warforged? A mending spell?

Quote Originally Posted by mhorgunn View Post
    A player is replacing a character with a warforged rouge. We are both new to this race and my question is if there is any difference in healing a living machine? I know that golems take things like acid and lighting and such to recharge hp. How do you heal a warforged? A mending spell?
    All healing works as normal on Warforged. Unlike previous editions in Wayfarer's Guide the race was NOT given the "living construct" type. They were not given the "construct" type either. In addition the text includes this:
    "While they're fashioned from stone and steel, warforged are living humanoids. Resting, healing magic, and the Medicine skill all provide the same benefits to warforged that they do to other humanoids."

So heal away it all works.

With that out of the way, if a DM wishes to homerule them as constructs, there are a few healing options that work on constructs anyway. Vampiric Touch is one, the lowly potion of healing is another, so is life transference.

If you're going to rule them as constructs, you might have an issue with the mending cantrip. To avoid having infinite free healing, consider allowing mending to do a couple of things, like instantly applying the stable condition (like spare the dying) and removing a bleed (like a successful medicine check would.) I would not let mending restore hit points, however.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by epithet View Post
    If you're going to rule them as constructs, you might have an issue with the mending cantrip. To avoid having infinite free healing, consider allowing mending to do a couple of things, like instantly applying the stable condition (like spare the dying) and removing a bleed (like a successful medicine check would.) I would not let mending restore hit points, however.
    What we are trying out is a modified mending spell bumped up to first level that specifically only works on the repair of warforged. For significant damage we are having it integrate similar materials to their construction. This causes the player to have to scavenge materials as it goes or carry a supply like a med kit.

Blog Entries
    I will say that we are having a great time with this new to us race!
    Last edited by mhorgunn; October 16th, 2018 at 15:19.

Quote Originally Posted by mhorgunn View Post
    I will say that we are having a great time with this new to us race!
    RAF, Rules as Fun. The important third player in the RAW/RAI/RAF trio that far too many people forget.

Warforged are a very cool race with a lot of nifty roleplaying options. If you haven't checked them out the expanded ideas for using tinker kits in Xanathar's Guide to Everything might be a very fun addition to your game. And give you some expanded ideas for using your scavenger kit.

Thread Information