FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 3 of 9 First 12345 ... Last
    Wow, that video went where I didn't expect. I was not however surprised when he said they contacted FantasyGrounds for a project and they supported them.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

I can see a point from Nolan's viewpoint. There doesn't really need to be more white guys promoting TTRPG's.

And a moderation change.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Roll20/comm..._this/e6n4bgx/

Quote Originally Posted by dulux-oz View Post
    You know, I've just spent an hour or so reading the comments on Reddit on this, and all I can say is, I wish we had this as a case-study when I was doing my MBA, because I have *never* seen anyone commit business suicide so quickly or so thoroughly.

I know they're the competition, and I know what was said by the founder was simply way past stupid, but this might actually cause Roll20 to fail, and there's staff and their families to think about.

Thank God that Doug and John would never do something so stupid - the way the comments are going and the number of people saying that they're cancelling their subs or not using the VTT at all is simply astonishing - I don't know what Roll20's *real* revenue stream is like, but damn, are they going to take a hit!

I mean I immediately thought about like, what if this happened with FG? I have like $500 invested in FG product which might not be a lot to some people but it's a hell of a lot for me. I'm not that active on the forums and stuff but I definitely get a different vibe but I cannot imagine how I would feel if I were like $500 into Roll20 and this **** went down. How can they be so careless? This hobby is really important to people. Like pretty regularly D&D is the best thing about my week. And to treat customers like that, and risk the platform imploding because of it is just incredibly irresponsible. And to do it over practically nothing, that's just reckless. I hope they manage to sort their **** out and become a better company after this.

I've never been more thankful for how good the FG community is, and how good the mods and admins are. Helpful, chill, not elitist. The software is great too. I've always heavily preferred it to Roll20.

I was really nervous about investing in a VTT and spending money on stuff that could only be used there. But FG keeps proving it was the right choice so good on y'all.

Quote Originally Posted by MysticCelt View Post
    I mean I immediately thought about like, what if this happened with FG? I have like $500 invested in FG product which might not be a lot to some people but it's a hell of a lot for me. I'm not that active on the forums and stuff but I definitely get a different vibe but I cannot imagine how I would feel if I were like $500 into Roll20 and this **** went down. How can they be so careless? This hobby is really important to people. Like pretty regularly D&D is the best thing about my week. And to treat customers like that, and risk the platform imploding because of it is just incredibly irresponsible. And to do it over practically nothing, that's just reckless. I hope they manage to sort their **** out and become a better company after this.

I've never been more thankful for how good the FG community is, and how good the mods and admins are. Helpful, chill, not elitist. The software is great too. I've always heavily preferred it to Roll20.

I was really nervous about investing in a VTT and spending money on stuff that could only be used there. But FG keeps proving it was the right choice so good on y'all.
    Thing is, if FG went belly up (heaven forbid), all the stuff you bought would still work. If roll20 sinks, every penny everyone spent on supplements etc is GONE. Good luck getting refunds!

Quote Originally Posted by Valatar View Post
    Thing is, if FG went belly up (heaven forbid), all the stuff you bought would still work. If roll20 sinks, every penny everyone spent on supplements etc is GONE. Good luck getting refunds!
    Good point. None of my FG stuff is stored in the cloud. That's a difference I didn't even consider in the past.

Blog Entries
    All I know is we have seen quite a bit of traffic to the college today. It seems people are looking for an alternative. We have been welcoming people all day. I'm not really concerned with the details of what happened but I am certainly glad to show people the benefits of Fantasy Grounds and help grow our community. So if you are one of the people who discovered us through this "event". Please feel free to ask for help in all our different mediums and I think you will find a welcoming community that wants you to succeed.

Happy Gaming!

FG Con 13 – Fantasy Grounds Online RPG Convention - October 12-14 2018
    Register at www.fg-con.com for all the latest info.
    My Blog
    Technical Administrator for Fantasy Grounds College
    Holder of the "Ultimate License" | Allower of Demo Players!
    GM of Nephilim Wars - 5E Post Apocalyptic Campaign
    DM of Destiny Calls - 5E Homebrew that includes Waterdeep: Dragon Heist

Not only that, but I recon that there are enough Community Devs around that we could possibly keep FG going *depending upon copyright issues, etc) - I mean, I not only code because I game I code because I like coding - and I'm pretty sure there are others out there who feel the same way.

But I can't see it coming to that - I mean, from the conversations I've had with Doug and John (not to mention the odd argument) I can't see them letting things get to that point, or even starting down that path - of course, you never know what the gods of fate have planned - but still, I can't see it happening and being Doug or John's fault.
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

Blog Entries
    This was one of the core drivers for me to choose FG over Roll20 a few years back.

Another was the difference in the vibe I got from teh community. Specifically that criticism was not allowed on the Roll20 forums, but it was on the FG forums. Funny how that turned out huh?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thing is, if FG went belly up (heaven forbid), all the stuff you bought would still work.
    Would it? I mean the downloaded books would still open as the reference manuals they are, but without the servers to connect to, you would never b able to save your game progress because that requires a license, which requires checking with the FG servers to grant access to in the program. this is why i have called FG cripple-ware in the past, and why i do no rent software.

also without the FG servers to convert your table alias, then nobody would b able to connect to your table if for some reason you were able to still have the license level last used without having to be check every time FG runs.

without the FG server, FG would be nothing but a big book collection and as non-functional as the "free" version allows it to be. heck would anything from the vault actually open without FG being able to connect to check the license level of the user?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shadzar View Post
    Would it? I mean the downloaded books would still open as the reference manuals they are, but without the servers to connect to, you would never b able to save your game progress because that requires a license, which requires checking with the FG servers to grant access to in the program. this is why i have called FG cripple-ware in the past, and why i do no rent software.
    Not quite, I think. My understanding the license check only happens when a demo license tries to connect to an ultimate license.

also without the FG servers to convert your table alias, then nobody would b able to connect to your table if for some reason you were able to still have the license level last used without having to be check every time FG runs.
    Except people could use the external IP instead of the alias.
    without the FG server, FG would be nothing but a big book collection and as non-functional as the "free" version allows it to be. heck would anything from the vault actually open without FG being able to connect to check the license level of the user?
    Except the license check doesn't happen like you think it does. So yea, in many cases it would still work just fine.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information