5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Also, FG does have poor network architecture (currently being redesigned with FGU, no estimated date), meaning if you share a 1MB image to 2 players, it takes 2MB of bandwidth, if you have 10 players it takes 10MB of bandwidth. And FG freezes while the download is happening
    Out of curiousity, why you say it is poorly architected?

I don’t know what are those freezes and lags really, I have FG freeze for 1 or 2 sec when player connects and then it continues just fine, player downloading in the background. I use maps and images of more than the recommended size (went with 5-6 MB, no problems) and none of the players experienced any issue, except the physical time to download, which I avoid by prestaging.

PS: 30 min before game? What internet connection do you have?
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

I had a similar issue due to having way too many tokens and images in the base file. I had to remove most of them and just add them as needed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyar View Post
    Out of curiousity, why you say it is poorly architected?

I don’t know what are those freezes and lags really, I have FG freeze for 1 or 2 sec when player connects and then it continues just fine, player downloading in the background. I use maps and images of more than the recommended size (went with 5-6 MB, no problems) and none of the players experienced any issue, except the physical time to download, which I avoid by prestaging.

PS: 30 min before game? What internet connection do you have?
    Because the devs have set the networking architecture is poorly done by today's standards. Because the entire application is single threaded meaning that when FG is doing one thing (uploading to a player) the host/server is non-responsive. Sure, that's not a big deal when it happens for one or two seconds, but when it takes 20-30 seconds that is annoying. Because their is no allowing uploads to be cached on an intermediary server like a WAN accelerator does (which mean that uploading a 1MB image to ten players would require 1MB of host bandwidth rather than the ~10MB it requires today).

Yes, pre-sharing, or prestaging as you call it, is the recommendation, and why I recommended it.

And sure, 30 minutes is usually excessive. But I've played with GMs that have 0.4MB/s upload. It's better to be safe (allowing more time than needed) than to not allow enough time.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I never had such issues... I guess where I go I am lucky with internet connections we have in Europe that never allowed FG's network stack to show its dirty things.

At home I have 100Mbit and so far the hotels always delivered from 15 to 30 Mbit and upload sufficient to stream voice/music and FG maps of 3-4MB without this freeze.
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

I had these issues for ages until I switched ISPs, and now I have beautiful and quick connections with almost perfect hosting. Used to take 1/2 hour to 11/2 hours for the "first download" connection to any of my campaigns. Images would share for some and not for others, always took a good 5-10 minutes even for those who did load it. Now it's under a minute to load in and images pop right up for my clients. My upload speeds usually clock at 8-10 mbps whereas my old isp clocked at around 1 or less. Use internet testers and see if you're getting what you pay for.

Blog Entries
    LordEntrails made a great point. I try to have my server up 30 minutes to an Hour before game start. That way people can log on and get any "connection lag" out of the way from modules, images, etc..

If you follow the steps everyone gave you, I think you will see a massive difference in your players performance.

One final note. I have been running my campaigns from a laptop lately.(not a very powerful one either) If I keep just FG and Discord running and do a restart of the computer prior to starting up the server for them. I can run a game 4 to 5 hours with little to no lagging for my players or myself.

Happy Gaming!

FG Con 13 – Fantasy Grounds Online RPG Convention - October 12-14 2018
    Register at www.fg-con.com for all the latest info.
    My Blog
    Technical Administrator for Fantasy Grounds College
    Holder of the "Ultimate License" | Allower of Demo Players!
    GM of Nephilim Wars - 5E Post Apocalyptic Campaign
    DM of Destiny Calls - 5E Homebrew that includes Waterdeep: Dragon Heist

Thanks a lot, the problem was that the game doesn't show anywhere, that is downloading (or uploading in my case) something... So you have only visible lags, players are complaining and you think about giving up with this game. Now its great, noone has any problems and overall the app is really amazing, but to be honest user UI is one of the stupidest and really counterintuitive I have ever seen. Thanks for this forum, so i google a lot (how to easilly turn tokens by mouse, how to move big maps with scroller and than draging etc)... :-D
    But we finished our first game few minutes ago, it was a bit mess, but we were happy... .-D

Blog Entries
    The UI is a bit unusual, but I think you will find after using it for a while you will see how powerful it is. But, always expect to learn something new as their are so many functions hidden here and there. There's a good sticky thread to check out, read one or two new things a week from it; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...antasy-Grounds

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Karpaccio View Post
    Thanks a lot, the problem was that the game doesn't show anywhere, that is downloading (or uploading in my case) something... So you have only visible lags, players are complaining and you think about giving up with this game. Now its great, noone has any problems and overall the app is really amazing, but to be honest user UI is one of the stupidest and really counterintuitive I have ever seen. Thanks for this forum, so i google a lot (how to easilly turn tokens by mouse, how to move big maps with scroller and than draging etc)... :-D
    But we finished our first game few minutes ago, it was a bit mess, but we were happy... .-D
    Yeah, it is something that will change in the future. But not quite yet.

Also the UI isn't too bad once you get used to it. Not great but not as bad as it first seems and quite flexible

Make sure to read all the "best advice" threads and such and you will have a much smoother time. It works so well I use it for in person games too -laughs-

Thread Information