FG Spreadshirt Swag

Thread: At Wits End

At Wits End

Okay short and sweet I spent quite a bit of money on fantasy grounds so I can play at the table top. Things worked fine and now that I am trying to play Fantasy grounds with people over the internet it DOESN'T work at all. $250 into the program I am rather frustrated and about to just look for an alternative program. I am hoping throwing myself on someone's mercy before jumping ship will help and here I am.

I have Port forwarding done but nothing works, no one can connect and I have now wasted 4 hours and have nothing but a group of frustrated friends.

PLEASE HELP!

Thank you.

Sorry you're having issues getting players to connect. I'm sure we'll be able to get you working.

Assuming you are on Windows, please do the following:
    1) From a Windows command prompt, type tracert 8.8.8.8 and post the results here. This will help us to identify your network architecture and if your ISP is doing anything like shared public IP addresses, etc..
    2) Make sure your network connection on your computer is set to Private, not public.
    3) Make sure there is an exception for FantasyGrounds.exe set in all of your security/firewall software.
    4) Post a screenshot of the port forwarding rule you setup in your router.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Hi grumsh welcome to FG.

Check that your network is set to private and that you have created rules in any Anti virus software excepting Fantasy grounds.

Have a look to see what the External IP address FG shows and take a note of it. Go to Google and type in 'what is my ip address' and write that number down too. Log into your router and locate the external/WAN/internet ip address and write that down.

1 and 2 will almost always be the same. Number one and 3 need to be the same for you to enable port forwarding. If the 3 is different then you will need to contact your ISP to see if they can help getting that to work. If the ISP can't help then you may need to consider some alternatives to port forwarding.

If everything from above looks like you can port forward then double and triple check that you have done it right. Note that FG should set up port forwarding itself via UPnP.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    grumsh I have had the same issues you are having in the past. It is usually something very simple. If you follow the steps that Trenloe and Zacchaeus put above, I am confident it will resolve the issue. The only thing I would add is to check on your router and make sure Port 1802 is open. I know it can get frustrating but I promise you FG is much better than any alternative out there. Especially, if you have already dropped $250. You can also visit support on the FG Discord Server if you need live help.

Fantasy Grounds Discord

FG Con 13 – Fantasy Grounds Online RPG Convention - October 12-14 2018
    Register at www.fg-con.com for all the latest info.
    My Blog
    Technical Administrator for Fantasy Grounds College
    Holder of the "Ultimate License" | Allower of Demo Players!
    GM of Nephilim Wars - 5E Post Apocalyptic Campaign
    DM of Destiny Calls - 5E Homebrew that includes Waterdeep: Dragon Heist

Good afternoon, thank you for the suggestions, I will try them on my next day off from work and post results, thank you.

i know this may sound stupid, but did the people trying to connect type in your table alias correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Sorry you're having issues getting players to connect. I'm sure we'll be able to get you working.

Assuming you are on Windows, please do the following:
    1) From a Windows command prompt, type tracert 8.8.8.8 and post the results here. This will help us to identify your network architecture and if your ISP is doing anything like shared public IP addresses, etc..
    2) Make sure your network connection on your computer is set to Private, not public.
    3) Make sure there is an exception for FantasyGrounds.exe set in all of your security/firewall software.
    4) Post a screenshot of the port forwarding rule you setup in your router.
    Sorry for the delay all in the real world I work 16 hours a day and don't always have time!

As for the Tracert
    1 145 ms 7 ms 20 ms 192.168.43.1
    2 * * * Request timed out.
    3 140 ms 86 ms 100 ms 172.26.96.169
    4 130 ms 86 ms 90 ms 172.16.157.188
    5 * * * Request timed out.
    6 160 ms 85 ms 108 ms 12.83.180.82
    7 185 ms 86 ms 88 ms 12.122.137.213
    8 119 ms 92 ms 98 ms 206.121.188.62
    9 175 ms 90 ms 95 ms 108.170.243.1
    10 140 ms 109 ms 96 ms 216.239.46.167
    11 179 ms 87 ms 92 ms google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]
    Network is Private

I use Mcafee and I added the exception (I hope.. Mcafee is a little squirrely at times...)

I copy and pasted the port forwarding rules from the Wiki with .. 1802.. I use a NETGEAR Nighthawk X6S AC4000 router if that helps.

Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries
    Looking at your tracert and the chances of port forwarding working look pretty slim.
    Are you on a wireless or 4g data service?

If you log onto your router - is the WAN IP address the same as what FG reports your External IP address as?

You shoudl start looking at the Port Forwarding Alternatives sticky post.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Looking at your tracert and the chances of port forwarding working look pretty slim.
    Are you on a wireless or 4g data service?

If you log onto your router - is the WAN IP address the same as what FG reports your External IP address as?

You shoudl start looking at the Port Forwarding Alternatives sticky post.
    I got snookered into another 16 hour shift, I'll check again tomorrow afternoon, thanks for the help.

I am on a wifi network running through a nighthawk router connected to a 200 mps cable modem hardwired, if that helps.

Thread Information