STAR TREK 2d20

I've been wondering what they (Paizo) were going to do with their failure to keep their own Pathfinder RD up-to-date in the wake of Starfinder development and (now) 2.0.

I guess they had to cry uncle.

Seems like it will be better over all... more timely updates and more artwork.

I would love to see what the licensing deal looks like. That would give clues as to the sustainability of the model. The AON says that they "aim" to keep the site free with "minimal ads", but you don't take on a license unless you think it's going to generate revenue to offset additional costs. I suspect that the bulk of their new revenue will come from what they expect will be significant increases in direct Paizo product referrals...

I wonder how they will separate Strictly SRD and OGC info, with setting info (allowable under the Community Policy like both AoN and PCGen uses) and what material is allowed by the Compatibility License.

Quote Originally Posted by Full Bleed View Post
    but you don't take on a license unless you think it's going to generate revenue to offset additional costs.
    Not always true - that is a big consideration if you are paying for the license - however to protect IP (real names and such they created) the only legal way they can allow someone to use them is with a license. You can use a license (that they give you free) to print your PDF from Paizo at a actual print shop - so if you were really interested in it (and had the cash) you could make your own hardcover bound path compilations - you just couldn't sell them - that's one example of a license that isn't about making profit - that license is on the web and you can print it or point to it when asked by your local print shop if you have the rights to print your product.

In this case I doubt there is an official capacity without at least some money changing hands - doing something as a volunteer is vastly different than as the 'official source' - and the demands you put on yourself to work through sick/vacation/whatever (as well as the actual requirement to bring the site back in the event of a catastrophic failure) are much different once you become 'official' - so I can't imagine that it's being done with 0 compensation.

Thread Information