Starfinder Playlist
Page 3 of 9 First 12345 ... Last
    This is all fantastic information! Thank you all, I'll definitely pop into the college discord later when I'm exploring the app!

Blog Entries
    There are lots of things to learn. Biggest is that don't expect to learn everything at once, and when in doubt, ask If you let us know what you are trying to accomplish and why, we can generally let you know one or more ways to accomplish it.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Three of Swords View Post
    Roll20's advantages
    1. Better interface (not more powerful, just easier to use).

Couldn't disagree more on this one. I found Roll20's interface to be incredibly clunky and hard to use compared to FG.

Blog Entries
    There are definitely pros and cons to both systems. I personally feel that FG's pros outweigh the cons by such an amount that Roll20 just isn't feasible for me anymore. As for support, not only do we have great folks on the forums but the FG Discord is a great place to get help in real time. I would never disparage anyone for using another VTT but for me FG is the best out there.

FG Con 13 – Fantasy Grounds Online RPG Convention - October 12-14 2018
    Register at www.fg-con.com for all the latest info.
    My Blog
    Technical Administrator for Fantasy Grounds College
    Holder of the "Ultimate License" | Allower of Demo Players!
    GM of Nephilim Wars - 5E Post Apocalyptic Campaign
    DM of Destiny Calls - 5E Homebrew that includes Waterdeep: Dragon Heist

I use fantasygrounds for numenera, 5e and pathfinder 1e

I have used roll20 for numenera, the strange, 5e, pathfinder 1e

I paid the top subscription for roll20 for three years and was active when it came to community character sheets.

FG is a better program as a GM and when players get the hang of it better for them as well. I have no regrets in purchasing FG even though the mapping tools kinda suck and I miss a few roll20 features.

I love being able to set things up to automate, especially with 5e. And while I do miss simulated decks and the like creating tables, auto generators and such is just way more versatile in FG.

Quote Originally Posted by Yzrahad View Post
    I have a large group I've been dming in roll20 for about a year and a half now, and one of the issues I've run into at this stage of the campaign is memory usage. With eight players viewing the map, monster tokens abound, lighting and everything else inbetween it drastically slows down game performance just to do basic things like rolling dice.

I'm fielding possible solutions and I was curious how fantasy grounds handles resource usage in comparison?
    Most people didn't answer this question, seemingly preferring to focus on platform comparisons and FG superiority over Roll20.

In general, I do believe that FG is a superior product. But that wasn't what you were asking.

FG's resource management isn't great. You have to be careful how many tokens you have in your library, what size maps and assets you use, what extensions you're using, and how many books you're sharing. This is due primarily because FG is a 32 bit app that has not aged well.

FGU (the next iteration of FG with no release date) should fix most (if not all) of those problems since it will be 64 bit. But if you're taxing Roll20 you may very well tax the current version of FG without making some compromises to manage resources.

You might want to purchase a monthly ultimate subscription and set up a game in FG (using the same assets, etc.) similar to the one you're having problems with in Roll20.

Blog Entries
    I covered most of this in my reply. (Second reply to OP) You do make a good point on tokens if they are stored in the shared folder. To overcome this you can place all your tokens in a folder and export it into a DM only module so that it doesn't effect memory usage for the players. I think my point on usharing images was valid though. With a little planning you can run FG pretty resource light.

FG Con 13 – Fantasy Grounds Online RPG Convention - October 12-14 2018
    Register at www.fg-con.com for all the latest info.
    My Blog
    Technical Administrator for Fantasy Grounds College
    Holder of the "Ultimate License" | Allower of Demo Players!
    GM of Nephilim Wars - 5E Post Apocalyptic Campaign
    DM of Destiny Calls - 5E Homebrew that includes Waterdeep: Dragon Heist

Quote Originally Posted by Full Bleed View Post
    Most people didn't answer this question, seemingly preferring to focus on platform comparisons and FG superiority over Roll20.

In general, I do believe that FG is a superior product. But that wasn't what you were asking.

FG's resource management isn't great. You have to be careful how many tokens you have in your library, what size maps and assets you use, what extensions you're using, and how many books you're sharing. This is due primarily because FG is a 32 bit app that has not aged well.

FGU (the next iteration of FG with no release date) should fix most (if not all) of those problems since it will be 64 bit. But if you're taxing Roll20 you may very well tax the current version of FG without making some compromises to manage resources.

You might want to purchase a monthly ultimate subscription and set up a game in FG (using the same assets, etc.) similar to the one you're having problems with in Roll20.
    Oh I consider this to be a part of the platform superiority. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

The OP won't have the same issues they have with roll20 in FG, FG even with it's limitations can handle WAYYYYYYYYYY more than roll20 before running into issues with resources in the way they described.

Blog Entries
    Also, realize that a token in FG is different than a token in Roll20. At least as I understand it.

So, in FG one can have 10 token images and never have a problem, even if they have 100 instances of those tokens on your map. Where in Roll20, a token is an instance of an NPC and may or may not have the same image as another instance.

In FG, I've run a combat on a normal sized map (~2kx2k pixels) with 6 PCS and ~50 NPC "tokens" on the map and a mask and have no performance problems. Because those 50 NPCs were only 2 token images (a whole bunch of orcs).

Anyway, remember that when we talk about not having a lot of "tokens" in FG, we are really talking about a lot of token images in the shared token folder, not the number of NPCs used in a combat or available for reference. FG doesn't handle token images shared in the token folder well because FG opens each shared image into RAM when the client loads. A problem, but one easily worked around as how often does one use over 100 different token images on a battle map at the same time?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

And they don't have to be in the "shared" folder for the GM to use them on the map anyway. The "shared" token folder is for tokens that the players can use. I just put tokens into my modules for the NPCs within that module - this way they become available for me to use when I open the module, and silently disappear when I close the module. I never have to think about managing my token use.

Thread Information