5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortar View Post
    Without knowing the "why" of their decision, on the surface it looks like greed.
    I don't think so, cause if they wanted greed they might have stayed with paying authors a flat fee rather than letting them get commissions. Plus, why would they prevent another very sellable product from being made?

I think it's simple ignorance on the realities of the VTT market. I think that though JC, MM etc have probably played on a VTT at one time or another, I doubt they understand the realities of DMing on a VTT or making products for one.

I suspect their desire is to not "split" the AL/GA market. It might also have to do with concerns about multi-platform support. Because as far as I know, Roll20 and DDB don't have a market for third party content using the DMsG content agreement like FG does.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    I will definitely be commenting much more on DMsG about wanting content for Fantasy Grounds. All my games use FG as a resource.(even home games) So, I would like to see much more content from there be available here. Especially, since SW has the agreement with them. Thanks for the info from everyone on this thread. I have learned a lot reading what you all wrote. I encourage others to place comments/discussions as well like LordEntrails instructed. Happy Gaming!

FG Con 13 – Fantasy Grounds Online RPG Convention - October 12-14 2018
    Register at www.fg-con.com for all the latest info.
    My Blog
    Technical Administrator for Fantasy Grounds College
    Holder of the "Ultimate License" | Allower of Demo Players!
    GM of Nephilim Wars - 5E Post Apocalyptic Campaign
    DM of Destiny Calls - 5E Homebrew that includes Waterdeep: Dragon Heist

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    I don't think so, cause if they wanted greed they might have stayed with paying authors a flat fee rather than letting them get commissions. Plus, why would they prevent another very sellable product from being made?

I think it's simple ignorance on the realities of the VTT market. I think that though JC, MM etc have probably played on a VTT at one time or another, I doubt they understand the realities of DMing on a VTT or making products for one.

I suspect their desire is to not "split" the AL/GA market. It might also have to do with concerns about multi-platform support. Because as far as I know, Roll20 and DDB don't have a market for third party content using the DMsG content agreement like FG does.
    I can agree with that assessment, however both DmsG and the White Wolf Vault take 20%, on top of the 30& OBS does. You technically own what you create - but can't do anything with it outside those platforms, plus other people can use your creation freely, without the requirement of attribution. With the way those two are limiting what can be used it still feels to me that "more profit for us" in their decision making chain somewhere.

I don't think the idea of DMsG or Storytellers Vault or the upcoming Savage Worlds Adventurers Guild are fantastic ideas. Great for people who are interested in getting into the industry for them to do that. All three companies are being cagey with what IP can be used. Trickier with PEG as their licenses with some IP (Flash Gordon, RIfts) doesn't allow them to open them up.
    Ultimate License Holder

Blog Entries
    I occasionally convert AL content to FG for use in my own campaign. Since I do development work for the store occasionally, I make a little extra effort and do my personal conversion and then offer the file for free to be added to DMs Guild. I do actually get a few takers (look at my thread on the 5e forums).

I personally suspect that WoTC does not want to officially offer FG files on DMs Guild when they have licensed 2 other VTT programs.

The issue the authors have is that they get absolutely zero feedback on if their offering the FG mod gives them extra sales.

If you go to this thread, you can find a few conversions I did. You want more, thank the authors in the comments and buy them if you want them:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...Guild-Offering
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

Blog Entries
    To add a bit more there have been some related discussion to the AL/FG on the DMsG Writer's group on FaceBook. Some points made there;
    - AL products on the DMsG are not allowed to have a separate products by format. So if they do an FG conversion, they have to sell it with the PDF.
    - Most AL writers do not see/think/believe their are many sales of FG products. (I suspect because so many FG DM's end up converting from the PDF, because that's what they usually have to do, so the difference between sales of PDF only and PDF/FG AL modules is not very different).
    - FG is a market most AL authors are not familiar with, and they don't see a reason to invest in paying for an FG conversion if it won't pay for itself. (And as I said, they don't think it will).

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information