STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Blog Entries

Waterdeep: City Encounters

I just saw this on DMsG and was wondering if it was going to be ported for FG? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

FG Con 13 – Fantasy Grounds Online RPG Convention - October 12-14 2018
    Register at www.fg-con.com for all the latest info.
    My Blog
    Technical Administrator for Fantasy Grounds College
    Holder of the "Ultimate License" | Allower of Demo Players!
    GM of Nephilim Wars - 5E Post Apocalyptic Campaign
    DM of Destiny Calls - 5E Homebrew that includes Waterdeep: Dragon Heist

Blog Entries
    This is not a WotC product. It is put together by (mostly?) Guild Adepts. Just like all the other unofficial stuff on the Guild, it's up to the individual authors to determine if they will provide FG formats or not.
    You can ask in the comments section of the product page, but it has already been answered;
    Hi there, we have no plans at present to convert this to Fantasy Grounds.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the info LordEntrails!

FG Con 13 – Fantasy Grounds Online RPG Convention - October 12-14 2018
    Register at www.fg-con.com for all the latest info.
    My Blog
    Technical Administrator for Fantasy Grounds College
    Holder of the "Ultimate License" | Allower of Demo Players!
    GM of Nephilim Wars - 5E Post Apocalyptic Campaign
    DM of Destiny Calls - 5E Homebrew that includes Waterdeep: Dragon Heist

So the only option for someone that wants this for use in Fantasy Grounds would be to buy the product and then put it into FG yourself.

You cannot share copyrighted stuff, but are allowed to use them for your own use (obviously, you need to own the product too).
    Proud Ultimate License Holder
    Also have bought a lot of other 5E and other , incl. Savage Worlds, Mutants & Masterminds, and Pathfinder 2e
    Central Time Zone (living in the USA, although born on the eastern shores of Canada)
    Have Played All D&D Editions except for 3/3.5 (am familiar with those rules, tho)

Blog Entries
    WotC and DMs Guild ADEPTS have weird rules about FG conversions. They are not as keen on having those titles in FG for whatever reason, and if they DO, they cannot be sold separately like other titles.

Adventurers Leauge and Guild Adept titles MUST package FG modules TOGETHER with the PDF. This is (imo) a bad practice because it discourages developers like me to seek that work. Most developers are interested in commissions in perpetuity, but an AL or GA author is not going to give that up, and since the FG mod cannot be sold separately, the only thing left to do is for the author to convert it themself, or pay another developer a flat fee. Believe me, I have researched and pursued this with vifor, but I am simply not willing to spend my time to convert a PDF to FG for $1.00 a page and be done with it. Few are.

This is why we don't see more AL and GA titles in the Fantasy Grounds format. It's sad, but that's a WotC move, not a SMiteWorks/Fantasy Grounds policy.
    rob2e - Join me on Discord!
    Become a Patron!
    Follow me on the Twitters
    Come watch the Twitches... twitch.tv/rob2e
    Also my YouTube Channel
    Available on the FORGE
    My Dungeon Master's Guild Material

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyghtmare View Post
    So the only option for someone that wants this for use in Fantasy Grounds would be to buy the product and then put it into FG yourself.

You cannot share copyrighted stuff, but are allowed to use them for your own use (obviously, you need to own the product too).
    Yep Just like the other 99% of stuff on the Guild/OBS that doesn't have FG formats.

As part of the Guild Creator's Circle, this lack of FG modules is because most authors just don't know...
    - How to make an FG module
    - Don;t know they can sell it as a separate product
    - How big the market is
    - If it's worth their time

So, I suggest if you like something and want it in FG, then add a comment/discussion asking about it and encouraging them to consider it.

Rob2e does many of the FG conversions for products that are on the Guild, but, he can't do them all. So if you have the skills, do a conversion and offer to show the author how it works in FG and then that the two of you can put it on the Guild as it's own product and split the revenues. That way they don't lose out on anything from their regular/PDF version and get a whole new market.

EDIT: And I totally forgot the issue about not allowing separate products for AL stuff. Didn't know it also applied to GA stuff too.

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rob2e View Post
    ... but I am simply not willing to spend my time to convert a PDF to FG for $1.00 a page and be done with it. Few are....
    Seriously $1/page? They don't know what it takes to convert do they!

Well, hopefully the FG market on the Guild will continue to grow and then eventually WotC/OBS will see the money and change their policies. Even if it hurts in the meantime.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Seriously $1/page? They don't know what it takes to convert do they!

Well, hopefully, the FG market on the Guild will continue to grow and then eventually WotC/OBS will see the money and change their policies. Even if it hurts in the meantime.
    The saddest part about it all is that 95% of DMs Guild customers AND creators have no clue what's up with FG. And it's really sad because FG has a specific agreement with the DMs Guild to create these titles. I have almost 90 titles on the DMs Guild and fully half of those are collaborations with other creators. Unfortunately, the BIGGEST requests out there are for the AL/GA titles which no decveloper is going to take the time to do for pennies.

Those AL/GA titles that DO have FG mods were done by the authors themselves or by an excited/hungry developer who was paid $30 or something.

I've never gotten a straight answer from OBS/DMS Guild or WotC as to why this is the policy, but I'm sure they have some reason.
    rob2e - Join me on Discord!
    Become a Patron!
    Follow me on the Twitters
    Come watch the Twitches... twitch.tv/rob2e
    Also my YouTube Channel
    Available on the FORGE
    My Dungeon Master's Guild Material

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rob2e View Post
    The saddest part about it all is that 95% of DMs Guild customers AND creators have no clue what's up with FG. And it's really sad because FG has a specific agreement with the DMs Guild to create these titles. I have almost 90 titles on the DMs Guild and fully half of those are collaborations with other creators. Unfortunately, the BIGGEST requests out there are for the AL/GA titles which no decveloper is going to take the time to do for pennies.

Those AL/GA titles that DO have FG mods were done by the authors themselves or by an excited/hungry developer who was paid $30 or something.

I've never gotten a straight answer from OBS/DMS Guild or WotC as to why this is the policy, but I'm sure they have some reason.
    Without knowing the "why" of their decision, on the surface it looks like greed.
    Ultimate License Holder

Thread Information