DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

How to not use average for HP on level up?

Hi, I have a question regarding the added XP on level up.

Every time I level up a character by dragging its class entry on it again, the automated level up process adds HP to the characters max, but it is always (just) the average.
    Average hit points for additional Barbarian level added to 'Test Char'. (8)
    Can I change this behavior to roll for added HP? With the Barbarian it would be 1d12 (or 7) + const modifier. It always takes the 7.

It automatically adds the average; but does not do anything to automate manual rolling.

If you want to roll instead, just roll the dice in the interface, consult your CON modifier, and apply the difference to your hit points.

Regards,
    JPG

So there is no option to change the behavior, or deactivate it?

I will then undo the added average, roll dice myself and modify the max HP accordingly.

Thanks for the answer.

No there are no options. As Moon Wizard says roll a dice into chat and adjust the hp accordingly.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Speculi View Post
    So there is no option to change the behavior, or deactivate it?

I will then undo the added average, roll dice myself and modify the max HP accordingly.

Thanks for the answer.
    No, with 5e rolling for health isn't even listed as an variant option to the best of my memory.
    But, it isn't too hard to modify in program

If you really want to you could dig into the LUA code and make an extension to handle it. I might take a cursory glance at it myself tomorrow when I get a chance.
    I still need to write an extension for the proficiency dice mechanic.

Rolling for health looked to me like it would be the default, or at least on the same level as taking just the average of the dice.

From the Barbarian class description as an example:
    Hit Points
    Hit Dice: 1d12 per Barbarian level
    Hit Points at 1st Level: 12 + your Constitution modifier
    Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d12 (or 7) + your Constitution modifier per barbarian level after 1st.
    I'm new to 5e and FG, but we want to start our first campaign next week. I'm honestly not sure if we will actually go for rolling or just take the average rule anyway. I just thought there might be an option I missed to use this rule. I like to be prepared, before I ask my players.

To be honest, currently I don't have the time to look into learning the LUA API for FG. And it wouldn't be a big deal to adjust the values afterwards, if we decide to go for rolling.

It's optional (p15 of the PHB - Beyond 1st Level). Its just not an option that FG has.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Speculi View Post
    Rolling for health looked to me like it would be the default, or at least on the same level as taking just the average of the dice.

To be honest, currently I don't have the time to look into learning the LUA API for FG. And it wouldn't be a big deal to adjust the values afterwards, if we decide to go for rolling.
    You are correct (I just looked in my book), my memory was off. It is listed as an equal option right along side of the average. You choose one method and go with it, accepting the results.

I would suggest having a bit of a fiddle around when you do get time, it is a mess but you can do some fun things with it

Had a problem with players forgetting to subtract the average first...so I created an extension to provide a GM set houserule option to turn this default behavior off.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...924#post424924
    aka Laendra

(Discord: Laendra#9660)
    Ultimate license (FGC/FGU)
    Current Timezone : Central (CDT) (GMT -5)
    OP: 3317036507 / 2369539

My opinions are my own and represent no entity other than myself

Extension Support Discord: https://discord.gg/gKgC7nGpZK

Extensions = risk to your gaming experience. If you haven't tested out the extensions in your campaign before your gaming session, turn them off. If you don't backup your campaigns regularly, you're doing it wrong.

Why do you have to subtract the average first, just apply the difference. If the average is 7 but you roll 5, just subtract 2.

Thread Information