5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Ya that's the one example I was referring to with out calling out beside specifically the old counter counter spell. any others?

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    I can't think of a reaction that you take on your turn either. Pretty much always a recreation occurs on someone else's turn (even the shield spell and Couterspells - because the triggers happen on another creatures turn).
    Feather fall. You walk over a pit trap; it springs, you cast feather fall and finish your turn.
    Shield. You trigger an opportunity attack and cast shield to increase your AC.
    Absorb Elements. You spring a fire trap and cast absorb elements to gain resistance.
    Etc...
    Last edited by Nickademus; August 15th, 2018 at 05:23.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

It seem like almost all cases of using your reaction during your turn comes from Spell casting. Absorb Elements, shield, Hellish Rebuke, Etc. And maybe some magic items.

Just FYI, the PHB does say this in the section on reactions:
    A reaction is an instant response to a trigger of some kind, which can occur on your turn or on someone else's.
    The idea of a taking a reaction on your turn is stated from the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwolf View Post
    It seem like almost all cases of using your reaction during your turn comes from Spell casting. Absorb Elements, shield, Hellish Rebuke, Etc. And maybe some magic items.
    In theory, you could take almost any action as a reaction on your turn by using the Ready action and causing the trigger to happen immediately after on your turn.

I have looked at sage advice and haven't been able to find any ruling on my above questions...?
    Reading your first post, I saw no questions asked. It seemed like you were wanting a place to look for official rule clarifications.

Pole Arm Master: While you a glaive, halberd, pike. or quarterstaff other creatures provoke an opportunity attack from you when they enter the reach you have with that weapon.

Sentinel: Creatures provoke opportunity attacks from you even if they take the disengage action before leaving your reach.
    When a creature within your reach makes an attack against a target other than you(and that target doesn't have this Feat), you can use your reaction to make a melee weapon attack against the attacking creature.
    [This last one I include mostly because it specifically states you use the reaction to use the power.]

Cavalier: Hold the Line; At 10th level you become a master of locking down your enemies. Creature's provoke an opportunity attack from you when they move 5 feet or more while within your reach, and if you hit a creature with an opportunity attack , the target's speed is reduced to 0 until the end of the current turn.
    Here you state three elements of the game, though I'm still not seeing your question.

I think that going by the PHB pg.7 Specific Beats General that in all of the above case you can make multiple opportunity attacks (PHB pg.195 rule for Opportunity attacks) as long as you still have your reaction unused. I know that's Goofy. I would prefer that WOTC make a ruling like equal to x attribute or your proficiency bonus.

That's my best interpretation am I wrong?
    Again, I'm not seeing your question, but rather your answer to a question not asked. I can guess what the question is, but it would be better if you specifically asked it. As for my guess, it sounds like you are questioning how many opportunity attacks you can make in a round. The answer is one. You have to use your reaction (you only get one reaction a round) to make an opportunity attack. So unless something specific gives you the ability to make an opportunity attack without using your reaction, or something gives you more than one reaction a round, you get one reaction that can be used to make an opportunity attack.

That being said, the cavalier has a feature at 18th level that does just that.
    Starting at 18th level, you respond to danger with extraordinary vigilance. In combat, you get a special reaction that you can take once on every creature's turn, except your turn. You can use this special reaction only to make an opportunity attack, and you can't use it no the same turn that you take your normal reaction.
    This feature grants more reactions but they are limited, only being able to be used to perform opportunity attacks. They are special and don't interact with any other rules.
    Personally, I see 18th level as too late in the game to really matter (most games won't go that far), so I don't pay much attention to features at this level. But nevertheless, is this feature what is confusing you?

EDIT: Okay, reading down, I found some specific questions that I missed. (Really shouldn't start at the end of a thread...)
    Is there even a case where you can take a reaction during your normal turn other than the shield spell and counter spell most of which would not fall into this situation when discussing fighter types, So its extremely rare to have used your reaction during your normal active portion of your turn.
    As I mentioned above, you can use the ready action to take almost any action as a reaction on your turn. Furthermore, see below.
    Second Is there ever a case where you would make an opportunity attack during your turn? if not why specify not your turn.
    Yes. If an enemy uses their reaction on your turn to provoke an opportunity attack (usually with the ready action), then you can use your own reaction to perform an opportunity attack.
    Last edited by Nickademus; August 16th, 2018 at 16:08.

Thread Information