5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Problem with updating

Hi,

for some reason my Fantasy Grounds won't update properly anymore. I had to completely re-install Fantasy Grounds after the last update because it wouldn't work otherwise. Now I get an error message when trying to update ("ERROR - GetPackageFiles: Network: time out") when getting to the Core Ruleset. I tried to once again reinstall the program but I keep getting the same error (version 3.3.2). My internet connection is working and I have never had this problem before. I even tried activating my Fantasy Grounds license on Steam because I hoped it would work there but I get the same error. Does anyone have an idea what I could do to fix this? I'm on Windows 10. Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries
    Most likely your anti-virus is blocking it. It might also be your firewall detecting a network flood and blocking it. If you have MalwareBytes, then search the forums, it has a known issue where it blocks FG.

So, make sure you white list the various FG executable in your anti-virus and in your firewall(s).

EDIT: Oh, and welcome to the forums!

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thanks for the fast answer and the welcome
    Unfortunately this is not the solution. I tried to update with deactivated anti-virus and deactivated firewall and have the same error.

Any other ideas?

Blog Entries
    "Network: time out" means that something (other than FG) is blocking the you from the FG server. The only things I know of (and I'm not an expert) that can do this are;
    - Anti-virus software
    - hardware firewall (such as your modem or router)
    - software firewall (such as in Windows)
    - SmiteWorks DNS protection

The last one is that do to repeated attacks from certain IP ranges, SmiteWorks does block some connections to their server. Very unlikely this is the cause, (unless you live in China or a few African nations). But, you can email support with your IP address and they can confirm and resolve that particular issue with them. ([email protected])

I'm sure someone else will jump in with other ideas to help too.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

You say in your initial post version 3.3.2, but FG is currently on v3.3.6.

A couple of things to try. Go into your FG install directory (usually ProgramFiles (x86)/Fantasy Grounds and delete the file fantasygrounds.exe and then do an update directly from the FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe in the same location.

If that doesn't work navigate to your FGData folder (usually Users/Username/Appdat/Roaming/Fantasy Grounds) and find the rulesets folder. In that folder delete the CoreRPG.pak file. If there are any folders or temporary files in that folder delete those as well. Once you have done so do another update.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Meanwhile, it tries to update to 3.3.6, yes. before, on installation, it was on 3.3.2

I tried to use the FantasyGroundsUpdater directly -> no positive result.

I deleted all .pak-file in rulesets. So, it updated 3.5E.pak and then it has the same error as before while updating the 4E.pak. So i guess, my connection cannot be the problem.

fgUpdaterProblem.JPG

Then i tried to update in a complete new AppData-Folder... same result

fgUpdaterProblem2.JPG

I use FG for many years in multiple groups... such problems are new for me...

Ok, here's something else to try. Go to that same install folder and delete the FantasyGrounds Updater and then go to the Smiteworks store and click the downloads button and select the windows user from there; download the file and then run it. That will get you the latest updater.

Another think is to make sure that if you bought from Steam that you have linked your Steam and FG accounts via the manage button in settings.

Also double, double check that you have a proper exception in your anti virus (especially if you use Windows Defender). If there is already a rule (and especially if there are multiple rules) delete them and create new ones.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

If you have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware or another anti-malware program running, close/exit it prior to running the updater. This is a known issue until the company white-lists fantasy grounds updater executable.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post398977

- Ok, i downloaded the latest updater directly from the fg-site.
    - I deactivate my anti-virus (avast) completly for the installation.
    - I have no firewall (windows firewall is deactivated).
    - I didn't bought FG from steam (i have my licence since may 2010)
    - I deleted the files from the AppData and the installation-directory
    - i try to install new on the empty directory with an empty appData-folder

-> same result as in my last picture. I guess, it cannot come from firewalls oder anti-virus, because some files are updated, so, generally, a connection seems to be possible.

Oh and i changed my IP...

Also, if only some files are being blocked but not all files, that can be caused by internet filtering or parental control software and/or router settings.

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information