STAR TREK 2d20
Page 8 of 33 First ... 67891018 ... Last
    Thanks for the clarification and providing an example, i feel slightly silly now lol.

Are the updates to this ruleset automatic? Just want to make sure I am not having to download something to get the latest version.

Halflings don't advance past their ancestry (still) and also when you go to click on Ancestry Feats on their Racial Tab information, it gives a blank (new racial trait) box.

Halfling.jpg
    Ultimate License Owner since 2011 and FG GM since 2008
    Game Systems: 5E, Pathfinder, Starfinder, Call of Cthulhu, RoleMaster, C&C, Pathfinder 2, Old School Essentials

Home Page: ShadeRaven Sorceries (Blog, Fantasy & Campaign Stories, Cat Tales, and more)

Quote Originally Posted by ShadeRaven View Post
    Are the updates to this ruleset automatic? Just want to make sure I am not having to download something to get the latest version.

Halflings don't advance past their ancestry (still) and also when you go to click on Ancestry Feats on their Racial Tab information, it gives a blank (new racial trait) box.

Halfling.jpg
    You need to run an update to get the latest ruleset and data modules.

There was only a change to the ruleset. No change to the data. The halfling issue is lined up for a fix in the next data release, "soon".
    Last edited by Trenloe; August 16th, 2018 at 02:30.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

My players wanted to play half-orc and half-elf. While they could add the ancesrty, they are supposed to get a choce of two things out of four. This wasn't working, in the end they both just wwnt with bog standard humans.
    Last edited by Ampersandrew; August 15th, 2018 at 22:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Ampersandrew View Post
    My players wanted to play half-orc and half-elf. While they could add the ancesrty, they are supposed to get a choce of two things out of four. This wasn't working, in the end they both just wwnt with bog standard humans.
    The selections aren't automated - you need to do that manually. Unfortunately, the prompt to do this in the tracker window didn't make it into the data released last week.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thanks for the speedy reply. I can't figure out where the choices need to be made. It doesn't seem to have anything I can drag in to choose them, or any field I can add them to.

I couldn't figure it out while we were playing and I've tried again, I still ahve no clue.

Thanks for the speedy reply. I can't figure out where the choices need to be made. It doesn't seem to have anything I can drag in to choose them, or any field I can add them to.

I couldn't figure it out while we were playing and I've tried again, I still ahve no clue.
    I'd recommend adding it into the "Rules & Abilities" section on the "Abilities" tab. Either go into edit mode (click the brown / button) and add a record, or right-click in the frame and select "Create Item". Then click on the link for the newly created (empty name) ability to fill out the name and the text. It's a little bit long-winded I know, but it only has to be done once during character generation (unless they take the Half-Elf or Half-Orc Ancestry feat again later to get the other two abilities).

I apologize if this sounds like I'm whinging, I greatly appreciate having this data set.

I've had another look. Yes, I could create a Darkvision entry in Rules and Abilities and populate it with the text about Darkvision. But, This Ability already exists, it's added by the Dwarf Ancesrty. When you drop Dwarf onto the character sheet not only does it add to the Rules and Abilities section, it fills in the Perception field on the front of the sheet. Half elves and half-orcs are adding two "Ancestry data" items from a choice of four. Presumably, some of these four already exist, the elf ones at least.

Since the system already has this data, what I really want is an interface that would let me drop it on the character sheet and have it do the correct thing. I went looking for this in the xml, but its "helpfully" encrypted. Is there any chance a way to add these pre-existing Ancestry data records will be added at some point? A way to add our own "Ancestry data" records would likely also be useful.
    Last edited by Ampersandrew; August 16th, 2018 at 00:54. Reason: spelling

You can make a temporary fix for the hafling in your own data by copying the race and updating the ability boost and ability flaw with:
    +2 to One Ability, +2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom
    -2 Strength

-Robert

I apologize if this sounds like I'm whinging, I greatly appreciate having this data set.
    No problem. But... please realize that what you are using is the first ever release of an early access ruleset and data. Whereas looking from the outside it may appear like this could be easily implemented and I can see that you’re frustrated that it isn’t. We’ve had to make many decisions on what to put in the first few releases and what not to. I made the decision to not automate this to save time to devote to other things in the ruleset for a number of reasons, the top ones being is that it occurs once at character generation (i.e. not very often) and the text records describing the abilities selected are just that - text records for the information of the Player and GM, there’s no automation whatsoever behind them; and because if you want to have them you can add them in manually during character creation.

This ruleset has a number of much higher priorities to deliver over the coming months. Who knows what the end ruleset will look like next August - that will largely depend on what Pathfinder 2.0 evolves into. Half-Elves and Half-Orcs may change to their own race entry (I doubt it, but you never know). As such I can’t commit to what will be and what won’t be developed over the next year. I would like to think that at some point creating a half-elf or half-orc will be a little more user friendly, we'll see... ;-)

The information I was giving you was how to do it *right now* - this is 99.9% likely to be different in the final product.

Is there any chance a way to add these pre-existing Ancestry data records will be added at some point? A way to add our own "Ancestry data" records would likely also be useful.
    Yes, you can create your own ancestry records. The gotcha with this particular issue is that here is no code to recognize the half-orc or half-elf ancestry feat, offer the four options, and auto create the ability record for the two selected. Sure, I could code it, but that will put spell implementation back a day or so and, sorry, baseline is that this really isn’t super important in the grand scheme of things. I’m sorry, I hope you’re not insulted by that, but these are the types of decisions I need to make to get much higher priority functionality created, into the SmiteWorks release schedule and out to the people gnashing their teeth for more mainstream functionality.

EDIT: As a temporary improvement, if you really want to not enter the details of the two features selected, you could add the options as 4 records to the Ancestry entries list (see the Dwarf Darkvision as an example). Then all 4 will be added to the PC when the Ancestry is dropped on the character sheet - the play will then have to remember to remove (delete) the two abilities that they have not selected. Not a great solution, but at least quickly deleting 2 records it is faster than adding in 2 new ones... YMMV.
    Last edited by Trenloe; August 16th, 2018 at 02:37.

Thread Information