STAR TREK 2d20

Help Hiding Effects Code

I've finally learned most of what I need to know to code effects in Fantasy Grounds for running my Rise of the Runelords game, however the code for all these effects really starts making the combat tracker a right mess.

With this stuff cluttering the combat tracker everywhere.
    Big Game Hunter; IFT: SIZE (>=L); ATK: 1; DMG: 2
    Sneak Attack; IFT: CA; DMG: 1d6

First, I'm looking for a good way to have these effects applied without all the code showing. Something like Smite Evil is going to be a long piece of code. I can code this if I need to, but there's an awful lot of information to learn to wrap my head around coding cold. All I really want is to just hit these conditions in a simple format.

Second is for the abilities that are suppoed to be "Always on" in the first place. Heaping these as individual effects is just nuts. Any help being able to code just one "effect" entry that applies all the relevant permenant effects into one simple entry for the Combat Tracker would be wonderful.
    Racial and favored enemy bonuses on combat rolls and such would really start exapnding the combat tracker.

Hopefully this won't be too daunting a task for a newbie GM, but having to keep track of so many effects in a combat tracker would make it harder to see what is and isn't supposed to be up at the time.
    The longsword is 15 gold and the short bow is 30? Wait, that means it costs 5 gold for the materials for a longsword and 10 gold for the materials for a short bow?

The kinds of features you are looking for are not available in the current rulesets, and is fairly complex to add. They would need to be added by creating extensions to modify the ruleset code.

If you are going to take it on as a community developer, I would look into creating "shortened" versions of effect text first as a proof of concept. (Note: You'll still need to be able to view/edit the full effect codes, so you'll only want to shorten the collapsed effect text.)

Regards,
    JPG

I run a high-level game where each PC has many always-on effects, but it doesn't really create a significant problem for me. I can see that it might be nice to have an option where the effects are visually reduced to just the the first text element - but there is already a condensed and expanded view of the effects available. What is the issue, from your point of view?
    Last edited by Callum; November 4th, 2018 at 11:31. Reason: Typos

It's not like it's going to stop the game or anything. I just don't like having to look at code like that in an otherwise clean interface. I don't think it'll be hard funcitonality. Although I did get a look into the scripts and realize that it's not set up to work the way I would hope.
    The longsword is 15 gold and the short bow is 30? Wait, that means it costs 5 gold for the materials for a longsword and 10 gold for the materials for a short bow?

Thread Information