Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Starship Combat

Starship Combat

Just wondering how everyone is handling starship combat. Last time I GM a game I used a jpg combat sheet I made with tokens I moved around and used the internal PC starship to keep any pertinent info .. for PC and NPC ships.

Also wondering if any news when the starship portion of FG will be functional ?

*************** The only constant in the universe is change. *****************

=) I came here on the same day to ask the same question. Glad I'm not the only one. =)
    A.J.

“It isn't Narnia, you know," sobbed Lucy. "It's you. We shan't meet you there. And how can we live, never meeting you?"
    "But you shall meet me, dear one," said Aslan.
    "Are -are you there too, Sir?" said Edmund.
    "I am," said Aslan. "But there I have another name. You must learn to know me by that name. This was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

The last game I had Starship combat in I gave my local players paper sheets if their ship and emailed the pdf to my remote players when they acquired the ship in game. We used a generic starmap with tokens for the field in FG and rolled dice through it but hit and damage calculations were all done manually. My next session has them starting on a new ship that I have built out in players ships in FG. My plan is to let them use that sheet to track damage but non of the auto calculations and automation work yet so it will still be manual rolls and targets, I don't find that part too hard, make sure you use the values in the official FAQ for targets because they are more balanced than what is in the book.

thanks for the response guys.. just curious how others are doing this..seeing if there may be an easier way right now..

Is there any update as to when StarShip Combat will finally be resolved?

Hey teyduoncaar, As far as I know we were told most likely at present time and near future the combat tracker is most likely dead and wont be resolved anytime soon if at all. Smiteworks spent a lot of money on developers who did some work on it but got sick and vanished into the drift. Luckily the PC and NPC starship forms were pretty well finished and can be used as ship sheet for combat. A lot of things don't work on the PC ship sheet but you can fill in what you want and use it.

Im not sure what does not work in the PC ship sheet as I have eliminated this problem with a utility that builds PC ships and NPC ships using the PC ship sheet format. then export as a "Starship Module" ready to run .. with all the correct DC,s and every countermeasures you can think of.. can build a ship in about 5 minutes , export and your ready to fight. I am in the process of finding a place for the utility for offer to public for free.. I did offer it to Smiteworks for free for a add-on utility but was never answered back on the offer.

I am going to give it to any players who join any of my future starfinder games . here is a few links to building a PC starship and building a NPC PC style ship tutorial.. they are about 1/2 hr each..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCu-0IPqMeI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaxgdGwCMy8

For the most part, it feels like Starfinder as a whole is one the back burner. I keep seeing all this new Paizo content coming out for Pathfinder, and the Starfinder APs and general content have been at a standstill since AA2 was released in November 2018

Quote Originally Posted by shartahl View Post
    For the most part, it feels like Starfinder as a whole is one the back burner. I keep seeing all this new Paizo content coming out for Pathfinder, and the Starfinder APs and general content have been at a standstill since AA2 was released in November 2018
    Release of Starfinder products is completely reliant on community developers converting the products. If you want to see more Starfinder products, then there needs to be more Starfinder community developers. Maybe try it yourself, or convince someone else to try it?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Release of Starfinder products is completely reliant on community developers converting the products. If you want to see more Starfinder products, then there needs to be more Starfinder community developers. Maybe try it yourself, or convince someone else to try it?
    Hi Trenloe ,,

So if I wanted to convert an adventure content from a pdf to FG Module, I could do that and smiteworks would accept what I did? or were you talking about extensions and such?

Quote Originally Posted by Octavious View Post
    Hi Trenloe ,,

So if I wanted to convert an adventure content from a pdf to FG Module, I could do that and smiteworks would accept what I did?
    Exactly! They'll QA it and make sure it's up the scratch, etc.. But yes - this is exactly what I was referring to. Don't just start without reaching out to them first though - drop them an email at [email protected] first, to see what products they have need converting and to get involved!
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information