DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Recommendations for TV monitors in a face to face game

Hello,

I am considering using Fantasygrounds in a face to face game with a tv/monitor flat on the table as the map for miniatures. Do you have any recommendations for what size or resolution to use or even a tip for a tv/monitor with a good price-performance ratio for this purpose. I am aware that you can always buy a bigger, better monitor, but I look for a reasonable priced device which you can use even for some bigger fights.

Thank you in advance
    Dal

Welcome to the forums.

There are a few things to consider here - overall size of the TV screen (to determine how large the maps you can display), overall size of the TV (how much space it will take up on your table) and TV resolution (how many pixels you'll get per inch).

This TV size calculator will help: https://screen-size.info/ to give the width and height, so you know what size of map you can display.

Then consider the resolution. A "Full HD" TV (1080P) has 1080 pixels vertically, whereas a 4K TV has double this, 2160.

You probably don't want to go much below 50 pixels per inch. This means a 44 inch TV (21.6 inches vertically) for 1080P. Larger than this and the image will begin to look a bit blurry - as you'll be sitting quite close to the TV screen.

I've used 2 different TVs - some screenshots here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-To-Face-games :

1) 44 inch 1080P - gives 50 pixels per inch and 38.4 x 21.6 inch TV screen size.
    2) 48 inch 4K - give 92 pixels per inch and 41.8 x 23.5 screen size.

I use the 4K TV mostly now - as a lot of the maps I display are 24 inches high, which just about fit on the 48" screen. And I make sure I have maps that are around 100 pixels per square. If you have a 4K TV and your maps are 50 pixels per square, then you might see some blur as they are upscaled to display at the right size.

Another thing to consider is if you're carry the TV around. I regularly take my TV to the local gaming store for games. The 48" TV I can just fit under my arm to carry to/from the car to the store. Any larger than this and I'd struggle to carry the TV on my own.
    Last edited by Trenloe; June 20th, 2018 at 13:38.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information