5E Character Create Playlist
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread: FG Theme

On trust that those are where I am going to start. Hard to beat a template!

A little preview of the desktop.

Untitled-2.jpg

This is a very large file designed to cover 2x2560x1440 monitors.

I plan to export this in a variety of resolutions for 1 and 2 monitors with the corresponding xml. Dual monitor resolutions will have the summoning stone centered for both monitors.

Now on to the hard stuff.

Blog Entries
    Unfortunately CarlPalmer thats not really how it works.
    The GM loads the extension and everyone gets the same thing.
    So your graphical layout needs to be dynamic enough to support what ever resolution is thrown at it.
    Hence 9 slices.

Oh crap, that is right. See, getting enough sleep IS actually important, or you start making stuff up in your head.

Will that change with the new Unity version?

Why don't players get to load the desktop/theme that makes them happy?

As a programmer, I get it, that sometimes it is easier to say screw that then try to implement a feature with everything else going on in development, but shouldn't players be able to customize their desktop to make them happy? Besides, loading local assets has to be less intensive and faster then reloading the assets every time you connect.

Just thinking out loud.

The problem is that the GM can load all sorts of extensions to customize gameplay and the environment; and themes are just one type. They all interact with each other, and can modify behavior. Plus, not all extensions work with each other.

It would be a support nightmare to allow player extensions. Not to mention, that players could then load extensions to see information they shouldn’t or cheat in other ways.

In this way, the GM gameplay environment is verified to work,l and to be limited to he features that the GM wants to allow.

Regards,
    JPG

Valid point, but why do themes have to be extensions? Could they not be a separate class of obect, say themes that only modify appearance.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlPalmer View Post
    Valid point, but why do themes have to be extensions? Could they not be a separate class of obect, say themes that only modify appearance.
    Because that is how they were designed many years ago *G* An extension is anything that modifiers or overwrites the xml and lua files of a ruleset. The graphics and windows defined in a ruleset that we think of as a Theme are no more than entities defined in a ruleset.

Since the elements that make up a theme are not segregated from those that change die roles, attributes, mechanics, etc, there is not a way (currently) to segregate a functional extension from a theme extension.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    The GUI and the DATA are very closely tied together.
    There may well be better ways to do it - if you were starting from scratch today with all the knowledge accumulated over the last dozen years or so - but unpicking it today would be so difficult timewise as to be called impossible...

Fair enough, I can see that. I get how that works.

Thread Information