DICE PACKS BUNDLE

5E ruleset, TYPE() code question

So tonight I was messing about with TYPE() effects and noticed that it wouldn't work for me when the npc type was set to "goblin" and the TYPE(goblin) was in the effect. It seems that for some reason the getCreatureTypeHelper() code depends on some static arrays. If the "type" isn't in those then it doesn't find it so the TYPE never works.

This is the function that splits up the TYPE() and compares it to the DataCommon.* arrays.

Code:
    function getCreatureTypeHelper(sTypeCheck, bUseDefaultType)
    	local aCheckSplit = StringManager.split(sTypeCheck:lower(), ", %(%)", true);

local aTypeCheck = {};
    	local aSubTypeCheck = {};

-- Handle half races
    	local nHalfRace = 0;
    	for k = 1, #aCheckSplit do
    		if aCheckSplit[k]:sub(1, #DataCommon.creaturehalftype) == DataCommon.creaturehalftype then
    			aCheckSplit[k] = aCheckSplit[k]:sub(#DataCommon.creaturehalftype + 1);
    			nHalfRace = nHalfRace + 1;
    		end
    	end
    	if nHalfRace == 1 then
    		if not StringManager.contains (aCheckSplit, DataCommon.creaturehalftypesubrace) then
    			table.insert(aCheckSplit, DataCommon.creaturehalftypesubrace);
    		end
    	end

-- Check each word combo in the creature type string against standard creature types and subtypes
    	for k = 1, #aCheckSplit do
    		for _,sMainType in ipairs(DataCommon.creaturetype) do
    			local aMainTypeSplit = StringManager.split(sMainType, " ", true);
    			if #aMainTypeSplit > 0 then
    				local bMatch = true;
    				for i = 1, #aMainTypeSplit do
    					if aMainTypeSplit[i] ~= aCheckSplit[k - 1 + i] then
    						bMatch = false;
    						break;
    					end
    				end
    				if bMatch then
    					table.insert(aTypeCheck, sMainType);
    					k = k + (#aMainTypeSplit - 1);
    				end
    			end
    		end
    		for _,sSubType in ipairs(DataCommon.creaturesubtype) do
    			local aSubTypeSplit = StringManager.split(sSubType, " ", true);
    			if #aSubTypeSplit > 0 then
    				local bMatch = true;
    				for i = 1, #aSubTypeSplit do
    					if aSubTypeSplit[i] ~= aCheckSplit[k - 1 + i] then
    						bMatch = false;
    						break;
    					end
    				end
    				if bMatch then
    					table.insert(aSubTypeCheck, sSubType);
    					k = k + (#aSubTypeSplit - 1);
    				end
    			end
    		end
    	end

-- Make sure we have a default creature type (if requested)
    	if bUseDefaultType then
    		if #aTypeCheck == 0 then
    			table.insert(aTypeCheck, DataCommon.creaturedefaulttype);
    		end
    	end

-- Combine into a single list
    	for _,vSubType in ipairs(aSubTypeCheck) do
    		table.insert(aTypeCheck, vSubType);
    	end

return aTypeCheck;
    end
    This is the function I ended up with. BOLD I replaced, italic I commented. Basically I just didn't use the above function.

Code:
    function isCreatureType(rActor, sTypeCheck)
      -- I dont like having static list of types
      --local aTypeCheck = getCreatureTypeHelper(sTypeCheck, false);
      -- so ... just split on comma
      local aTypeCheck = StringManager.split(sTypeCheck:lower(), ",", true);
    	if #aTypeCheck == 0 then
    		return false;
    	end
    	local sType, nodeActor = ActorManager.getTypeAndNode(rActor);
    	local sField = "race";
    	if sType ~= "pc" then
    		sField = "type";
    	end
      -- I dont like having static list of types
      --local aTypeActor = getCreatureTypeHelper(DB.getValue(nodeActor, sField, ""), true);
      -- so split on comma and go.
      local sTypeString = DB.getValue(nodeActor, sField, "")
      local aTypeActor = StringManager.split(sTypeString:lower(), ",", true);

local bReturn = false;
    	for kCheck,vCheck in ipairs(aTypeCheck) do
    		if StringManager.contains(aTypeActor, vCheck) then
    			bReturn = true;
    			break;
    		end
    	end
    	return bReturn;
    end
    It by-passes those static array checks and checks for any TYPE() given with any possible creature TYPE set on an npc. To me it seems infinitely more useful to have it work for whatever the DM decides to set for a type because not using the arrays doesn't break it if it's never needed far as I can tell.

So, I know you guys did this for a reason and I'm curious, why?
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

IIRC it does this for most "types" in the data_common be they damage (fire,cold,electricity), conditions (stunned, intoxicated, cursed), etc.. It's a validity checker so it makes sense to filter out non-valid entries.

Adding additional types to the data_common isn't a huge deal, but if it's removed then anything under the sun can be considered a type, including typos.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken L View Post
    IIRC it does this for most "types" in the data_common be they damage (fire,cold,electricity), conditions (stunned, intoxicated, cursed), etc.. It's a validity checker so it makes sense to filter out non-valid entries.

Adding additional types to the data_common isn't a huge deal, but if it's removed then anything under the sun can be considered a type, including typos.
    It's not a big deal for someone like us to add/change it but if a DM just happens to make up a new races/type of creatures... it's a non-trivial thing for most people I would imagine.

I can sorta see why they would want to have arrays for weapon/power damage types but still, NPC types aren't used for anything other than... effect TYPE() that I know of. As a filter, again, I don't see the win. If it's a typo (the effect string) it won't match regardless. If the value is a typo on the NPC it won't match the effect string.

It just seems overly complex (and restrictive) for comparing with npc.type. I'm wondering if this is something that's still hanging around due to some previous ruleset requirement.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Technically, the goblin sub-type is "goblinoid", which several creatures in the MM fit into.

It's because the Type field is a freeform string field that can be stuffed with any text. By limiting, it defines clear support for the various valid NPC creature types.

Also, it is a bit of code maintenance, since it is maintained in step with Pathfinder code in which the Type field is stuffed with lots of other information (alignment, size, etc.)

Plus, I've found that third party content creators can sometimes get creative with where data is placed.

Cheers,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    Also, it is a bit of code maintenance, since it is maintained in step with Pathfinder code in which the Type field is stuffed with lots of other information (alignment, size, etc.)
    Okay, that explains it

I wish I could figure out a decent branching repository tool that allowed for variances in specific files that didn't require a lot of fiddling to work with.
    ---

Thread Information