STAR TREK 2d20
Page 11 of 12 First ... 9101112 Last
    Quote Originally Posted by Ckorik View Post
    If I 'copy' the map to my own entry would that fix the issue - (I can't test this at the moment).
    Honestly, I don't know, I don't own any locked content as I mainly home-brew or run modules that aren't on FG (I have purchased butt loads of Paizo PDFs from their website, seriously wtf wizards). I do own some 5e stuff, but its just the tokens, I don't own any adventures or reference books as I have that stuff on DND Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken L View Post
    Honestly, I don't know, I don't own any locked content as I mainly home-brew or run modules that aren't on FG (I have purchased butt loads of Paizo PDFs from their website, seriously wtf wizards). I do own some 5e stuff, but its just the tokens, I don't own any adventures or reference books as I have that stuff on DND Beyond.
    Well the easy answer is you can't copy images from within FG - you can only do so from the directory level - as paid content is wrapped up - the answer is 'no'.

In your sample images - you use a graphic for the pit spell - is there a token pack you could point me towards that contains this - I would be happy to give money to a good spell effect pack - I picked one up for 5e from DM's guild but - I'll be honest they are a bit 'busy' and I really like how that pit spell looks from your examples.

Here you go!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    "Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind."...MJK... Tool frontman

I am not that sure about that at the moment, but did KenL now allow to use his code? I know about that he licensed this under a free license but I want to make sure that it was/is still okay for him (as far as I know Styrmir asked him also to make sure if he can use his similar extension for 5e). I would like to take some of his ideas/codes like his code for the visual hints about wether someone succeeded his save, that would be suitable for my save versus tags extension
    Last edited by Kelrugem; May 24th, 2019 at 16:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelrugem View Post
    I am not that sure at the moment, but did KenL now allow to use his code? I know about that he licensed this under a free license but I want to make sure that it was/is still okay for him (as far as I know Styrmir asked him also to make sure if he can use his similar extension for 5e). I would like to take some of his ideas/codes like his code for the visual hints about wether someone succeeded his save, that would be suitable for my save versus tags extension
    It all depends on how you look at it and if you want to potentially annoy the original coder. KenL released his code under the GPL but then due to his disagreement with how SmiteWorks licensed their own code, he withdrew all of this code from the website. When it was added back in by moderators (because it was GPL released code, so the moderators were within their rights to do so) he complained - essentially he revoked the GPL, which is against the GPL itself. More details in the second part of this post: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post423650

My opinion is that the code was released under the GPL and that can't be revoked. Any code you use would also have to follow the GPL guidelines for re-using such code.

Would I re-use KenL's code? No. Because I don't want to to be constrained by the GPL, and I ultimately respect a coder to have control of their own code. Which, ironically, is what KenL was complaining about (in a nutshell - SmiteWorks owning code and deciding what they do with that code) and he then decided that he wanted to own his own code (despite releasing under the GPL) and then withdrew all the code (extensions and modules) that he'd previously very kindly shared with the FG community.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    It all depends on how you look at it and if you want to potentially annoy the original coder. KenL released his code under the GPL but then due to his disagreement with how SmiteWorks licensed their own code, he withdrew all of this code from the website. When it was added back in by moderators (because it was GPL released code, so the moderators were within their rights to do so) he complained - essentially he revoked the GPL, which is against the GPL itself. More details in the second part of this post: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post423650

My opinion is that the code was released under the GPL and that can't be revoked. Any code you use would also have to follow the GPL guidelines for re-using such code.

Would I re-use KenL's code? No. Because I don't want to to be constrained by the GPL, and I ultimately respect a coder to have control of their own code. Which, ironically, is what KenL was complaining about (in a nutshell - SmiteWorks owning code and deciding what they do with that code) and he then decided that he wanted to own his own code (despite releasing under the GPL) and then withdrew all the code (extensions and modules) that he'd previously very kindly shared with the FG community.
    Thank you very much for your answer

Hm, okay, I understand. I am not really an expert about the license stuff, so I rather also do not use his code then (since you also wouldn't). Thanks And I do not want to annoy KenL

Thread Information