STAR TREK 2d20

Parsing a bite attack with magic damage, 5E DND

Hello again everyone. I am SO close to taking off with my newest 5th edition module I am writing. A am designing a race that has a bite attack. This attack is supposed to deal 1d4 + str modifier. In addition the bite does 1d4 necrotic damage. How do I get FG to automatically parse this info when I drag and drop it from traits tab to the actions tab? Here is what I have so far.

"You make an unarmed strike at a reach of 5 feet as a bite attack. If you hit, you deal piercing damage equal to 1d4 + your Strength modifier."

The above quote does exactly what I need it to do when I drag and drop it as an action. How do I add 1d4 necrotic damage to this?

I don't think you can. You would want to set this up anyway as a weapon attack rather than have it as a power. So use whatever wording that you think appropriate and the player can then set up their attacks for the bite.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by SailorLovins View Post
    Hello again everyone. I am SO close to taking off with my newest 5th edition module I am writing. A am designing a race that has a bite attack. This attack is supposed to deal 1d4 + str modifier. In addition the bite does 1d4 necrotic damage. How do I get FG to automatically parse this info when I drag and drop it from traits tab to the actions tab? Here is what I have so far.

"You make an unarmed strike at a reach of 5 feet as a bite attack. If you hit, you deal piercing damage equal to 1d4 + your Strength modifier."

The above quote does exactly what I need it to do when I drag and drop it as an action. How do I add 1d4 necrotic damage to this?
    Do you have screen shots of how it looks when you drag it into actions?

i think you might be able to add at the end of that sentence ", and 1d4 necrotic damage"

Quote Originally Posted by Klandare View Post
    Do you have screen shots of how it looks when you drag it into actions?

i think you might be able to add at the end of that sentence ", and 1d4 necrotic damage"
    You can, but the damage comes out in two separate damage lines. The first option in the screenshot is better because it includes the attack and the damage all on one line. This could be important for critical hits etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

This is what I was not sure on, if it was showing up as a weapon or power. I had not messed with the traits that could be weapons enough. Things like Breath Weapon for a Dragonborn populate as a Power and not as a Weapon.

Thanks guys. This is what I have so far. Following Klandare's advice I added the notation in with the coma separating the two damages. But I can't figure out the wording to tell fantasy grounds that this is a melee attack utilizing the dragon's statistics like any sword or mace. Here is a screenshot of what I have. ALSO included is the dragons immunity. Is this worded correctly? whitedragon.png
    Attached Images Attached Images

Basically you are trying to do things that can't really be done automatically. Just describe the various traits etc and get the player to create the effects. For a PC you need to create an effect IMMUNE: cold; it won't be created for you no matter what wording you chose. Also unless you create a weapon called bite and give it the weapon type etc you can't drag/drop a trait that would make a weapon line automatically. Only weapons (items in other words) will drag/drop and set up their attacks and damage in the weapons section.

Thanks for your patience and all that you guys have done especially you Zachh. You are right It doesn't seem to automatically pick that the bite is a melee attack. I could have sworn there was a way to write out a trait that defines a melee or ranged attack plus damage info but sure enough that isn't the case. I made another race a while back that has a ranged attack and it only shows the damage. So then that means the player or DM must manually make an entry in the actions based on the given information from the bite trait. And I also noted that an effect for cold immunity must be made. Im wondering if I should put a "Fantasy Grounds Corner" in the pages of the PDF version of this mod showing how this can be done. Thanks man for everything.

You may be thinking of NPCs, which do have wording for attacks which get parsed when the NPC is placed on the CT.

Yea you are right. I am satisfied that most of what I have made is parsed right and have what I need to finish the dragon as a player race. Onward ever onward to the classes now. =) Thanks man.

Thread Information