DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Reccomendations for First Time DM Module for 5E but not Storm King

Hi I'm thinking about become a DM. Any recommendations for a purchased module for 5e for a newbie that is easy to run. Anything but Storm King. Thanks!

Lost Mine of Phandelver. It was designed to introduce players and GMs. It’s also pretty good - especially if you use the backgrounds from the pregens to tie the PCs into more of the storyline.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    I will second LMoP. It's a really good place to start.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

If you do a search on any of the gaming forums, Lost Mine of Phandelver will top the list for 'first time' 5e modules. It's a great introductory module. Heck, even for experienced groups it's good. Gives a variety of play-types, is sandbox enough to allow some choices, and has a variety of enemies. Plus your characters can fight a dragon. That's always good.
    Fantasy Grounds Unity Lives! Good job, Smiteworks!

Thanks I bought it!

Blog Entries
    Yup, LMoP hands down. Good call!
    rob2e - Join me on Discord!
    Become a Patron!
    Follow me on the Twitters
    Come watch the Twitches... twitch.tv/rob2e
    Also my YouTube Channel
    Available on the FORGE
    My Dungeon Master's Guild Material

I would go with lost mines of phandelver but branch off into princes of the apocalypse for the full adventure.
    I would also grab the guide to the latter
    https://thecampaign20xx.blogspot.com...rinces-of.html

Then I would make the following changes to LMoP for a smoother in transition
    • Make Gundren and his brothers Mirrabarian Dwarves (this helps to give your characters a hook when the dwarves get word of the delegation going missing).
    • Make Nezznar the Black Spider (the main villain) a mercenary working under duress of the Howling Hatred cult and put their mark on the dopplegangers.
    • Change the dragon cultists in Thundertree to Howling Hatred cultists and a Hurricane leading them.
    • Have the Orcs and Ogre at Wyvern Tor have encountered a sect of cruel and malicious druids who left horrible burns on most of them.
    • Have rumours about weird weather of late in the desarin valley east filter in via caravans or npcs the party might meet in the last two chapters in the game. Not anything too alarming, just a little forshadowing
    • Have the dragon at thundertree have been driven from it's home in the sumber hills region.

I would use milestone leveling and ending phandelver at 4 rather than 5. I would then level again after the first two haunted keeps were dealt with and then again after each of the next two. (that would be if they did them in order, so feathergale + rivergard = 1 level, sacred stone monastery & Scarlet moon hall = 1 each)

This should give you a bigger adventure to work with and while it will take a little extra work the direction the larger adventure provides you plot wise will go a long way towards stimulating creativity and not leaving you on the hook when players get to the end of LMoP and want to play with their characters some more
    Last edited by lostsanityreturned; June 13th, 2018 at 06:07.

I'll echo what the others have said, Lost Mines is a very good newbie adventure tho I would probably tone down the bugbear fight

As a 5e newbie I was able to run the adventure with it w/o any issues.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Blog Entries
    Just so this isn’t a LMoP route, the first FG, and 5e for that matter, that I ran was Harried in Hillsfar. It was short, really inexpensive, not overly complicated, and ran very smoothly. Probably any Adventurers League module for level 1-3 or so, will run similarly. Unfortunately there aren’t many (two I think) already ported to FG. And, as a first go, make sure your players know it’s not going to be run according to AL guidelines.

Thread Information