DICE PACKS BUNDLE

1st Level Character Class Starting Equipment Parcel Module

This is my first attempt at a mod. I think this should be ok to post here.

This 5e module contains parcels that you can drag and drop to the equipment section on the inventory tab. Just grab one of the parcels, for example the Starting Gear for Barbarian (option 1) parcel, drag it over and 1st level barbarian equipment will drop into the equipment section. It should auto fill all the gear for that class. I have also added coin in the parcel equivalent to having all of the dice roll a one when rolling for coin during character creation. For example a fighter gets to roll 5d4*10 dice for coin. If he rolls 1 on all those dice he would get 50 gold. This allows the character some leeway if he wants to replace or buy new items on top of what the parcel contains.

My hope is that the mod saves players and game masters a bit of time during character creation. I did this straight with the tools in the ruleset. I did not use xml at all. I will be doing a backgrounds parcel set next. Let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks to all the folks at Fantasy Grounds and this form for supporting and maintaining such a great product!

Moderator: Moved the attachment back to this post.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Zacchaeus; June 4th, 2018 at 22:11.

Hi kevdog45, well done on this. Since distributing this technically breaches copywrite, I've removed the link for the moment. When you create a parcel you actually create a copy of the item in the parcel rather than just a link to the item. If it was just a link then the user would need the PHB to actually view the items. However the items are in the SRD so there is, I think a way that this module can be used and that would be if you had a copy of the SRD license included in the module. I'm still not sure if even that is enough; and it might be that you would need to distribute this via the DMsGuild. I'll try to get a ruling on this for you.
    Last edited by Zacchaeus; June 3rd, 2018 at 22:26.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

If you include SRD data only, then you just need to include the OGL statement - further info and a copy of the OGL available from here: https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/fea...e-document-srd
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    If you include SRD data only, then you just need to include the OGL - further info and a copy of the OGL available from here: https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/fea...e-document-srd
    Questions to both of you then...if I put this on DMGuild would I have to change anything? Could I upload it there without restrictions? Second, I can still use the mods for my private games correct? My players are already sharing PHB content in game so I don't see why they couldn't use my mod. I really don't want to scrap the mod and go into the SRD to do the whole thing again. It was a lot of work.

Quote Originally Posted by kevdog45 View Post
    Questions to both of you then...if I put this on DMGuild would I have to change anything? Could I upload it there without restrictions?
    You can’t upload this because it contains a lot of info from the core book/s. See the "Can I copy any information from the 5E core rulebooks in my DMs Guild title?" section here: https://support.dmsguild.com/hc/en-u...rmat-Questions

Second, I can still use the mods for my private games correct?
    Yep, you can pretty much do what you want in your own private games.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I've had a closer look at this and since the everything in the module is included in the SRD I'm happy that you can post the module here provided that you include a copy of the OGL statement that Trenloe pointed you to in post #3 above..
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    I've had a closer look at this and since the everything in the module is included in the SRD I'm happy that you can post the module here provided that you include a copy of the OGL statement that Trenloe pointed you to in post #3 above..
    Thanks for checking into this. I guess that would mean that the background mod is out. How do I present the license. Do I put it in a parcel and add it to the mod? Do I zip it up with the mod and post the zipped file? I have never done this before.

One other thing. I guess I am confused as to what would be allowed and what wouldn't I have seen many other mods, for example the newest create a character mod posted by Hecklerus Prime, contain material from the 5e books. In his module he uses all of the background information such as bonds, flaws and ideals coming straight from the text. Why can he do this? I think he did a great job with the mod and I love it so please don't take this as picking. I am just trying to get full understanding of what I can do and what I can't so that I don't go through all of the work I did and not be able to share it. This question still arises even after reading this....

Can I copy any information from the 5E core rulebooks in my DMs Guild title?

You can include things like summary stat blocks of monsters from the Monster Manual in your adventure. Similarly, you can include spell effects and the like as needed to make running your adventure easy on DMs. Often, though, it’s just as easy on the DM if you refer her to the Monster Manual or other core rulebook instead.

In short, avoid copying large sections of Wizards titles. Stick to summary information needed and not easily referenced.

It seems to me that my content which provides only background equipment in a parcel, would fall under this. It would be nice to see something that was very specific as to what was allowed and what isn't. Is their something like that posted?

This question still arises even after reading this....

Can I copy any information from the 5E core rulebooks in my DMs Guild title?

You can include things like summary stat blocks of monsters from the Monster Manual in your adventure. Similarly, you can include spell effects and the like as needed to make running your adventure easy on DMs. Often, though, it’s just as easy on the DM if you refer her to the Monster Manual or other core rulebook instead.

In short, avoid copying large sections of Wizards titles. Stick to summary information needed and not easily referenced.

It seems to me that my content which provides only background equipment in a parcel, would fall under this. It would be nice to see something that was very specific as to what was allowed and what isn't. Is their something like that posted?
    What do you mean by "background equipment in a parcel"? If it is not just a summary of the equipment, i.e. it contains all the details of the equipment, then I'd think this is more than what is allowed on the DMs Guild - unless the data is included in the SRD and you include the OGL.

Outside of the DMs Guild you can only use OGL material. Look at the 5E SRD modules in FG for an example of how the license statement is included in the module.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    What do you mean by "background equipment in a parcel"? If it is not just a summary of the equipment, i.e. it contains all the details of the equipment, then I'd think this is more than what is allowed on the DMs Guild - unless the data is included in the SRD and you include the OGL.

Outside of the DMs Guild you can only use OGL material. Look at the 5E SRD modules in FG for an example of how the license statement is included in the module.
    Thank you for your help. I appreciate this community always being there when I have questions.

Character Class Starting Module Equipment module revised

Thanks to Zaccheus and Trenloe for helping me out with this. Trenloe has seen the module now and given me the ok to post it here. Once again the mod provides the functionality to, through parcels, drag and drop all of a level one characters starting equipment to the proper spot on the character sheets inventory tab. The OGL is now attached and clearly visible when clicking on the mod in the module area of the Fantasy Grounds desktop.

The background equipment module I did has too much information not in the SRD so I have to go back and figure something else out for that module
    but there is not as much equipment there and this mod alone will still save dungeon masters and players a good deal of dragging and dropping when creating a character.

Moderator: Attachment is back in post #1
    Last edited by Zacchaeus; June 4th, 2018 at 22:12.

Thread Information