FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    I'm new to programming FG extensions, rulesets and modules, but I'm a professional software engineer with over 20 years experience. When I used to program Valve server plugins using SourceMod, I extended visual studio to do various things to make plugin development easier. Because I'm new here, I'm not sure if any of these things will help, but the following link will show you how to do a lot of custom stuff in VS:

https://wiki.alliedmods.net/Building..._Visual_Studio

My only (work) experience with VS dates back to 1.52 and brief use of 4.0. Even with so little current info. I keep installing all the versions since I’ve always had full MSDN with all but my time in Goldman - but I have only played a little with it and C#. Otherwise, it is GCC for my development and anything from KDE in old to Eclipse/Netbeans more currently. (I’ve worked in Solaris/Unix or Linux exclusively since ‘98 as much as I like VS it’s not too applicable)

Extensions are Lua and XML. The Lua is not “run” per se but embedded (with some restrictions and couple added features) in what I will call (no knowledge of it) the FG “engine”.

The only time I’ve ever used an IDE to do any work with FG “directly” was Par5e and my midway abandoned SWParse (no point eventually I’m updating parse when Turin game module creation matured to point of no longer needing it)

Since then, with my work on a ruleset, I’ve found it convenient for me to use Eclipse with Lua plug in. That doesn’t do anything for me test/run it’s just so it colors it and some other minor things. I know many use awesome text editors on Windows which worked great for me when was using parse (I have it but forgot) but I just am used to Eclipse from using it so much for years I my fingers can do stuff even when si am asleep which is usually late nights when work on it so it’s a good thing.

I’d advise you to use VS if it’s your editor of choice, but it will just be that - glorified Vi

Quote Originally Posted by Varsuuk View Post
    I’d advise you to use VS if it’s your editor of choice, but it will just be that - glorified Vi
    Nothing is glorified about VI I've been a unix systems engineer for 20+ years and I still only use it long enough to install something else ... which tends to be almost never.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Indeed

I used vi as the “simplest” (yes there are more basic pick, nano, etc but I meant it to be more generally recognizable) ... I used to work with long haired hippies ;p and ponytailed Canadians who would use vi and things like ctags ... why ... for me, vi is for simple script edits, configuration edits, fast mod on some simple couple file source project maybe and I am ssh’ed over and not worth (or allowed) to x over etc.

I swear this seniors dev would do entire Solaris/C++ projects in Vi. I would also smh at the Emacs folks but at least they had something more resembling an actual “hi” but the commands? Fahgeddibouddit

Quote Originally Posted by celestian View Post
    Nothing is glorified about VI I've been a unix systems engineer for 20+ years and I still only use it long enough to install something else ... which tends to be almost never.
    I know - that's why I switched to VIM
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

Right...
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

Well, ViM, of course...why didn’t you say so - that’s different - completely different - I withdraw my rant

Quote Originally Posted by dulux-oz View Post

Quote Originally Posted by dulux-oz View Post
    I use "joe" in nix. It was one of the first ones to allow multiple files at once in window/views. There are probably some others now.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Thread Information