5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Using Visual Studio for Extension creation

Does anyone here use Visual Studio for Extension creation? I use it personally to occasionally write c# windows apps. I'm finding the translation to pure xml and lua a little less than desirable and looking for pointers.

Visual Studio (Community) does some stuff really well, like formatting xml quickly understanding line breaks and indentation. However, it doesn't understand object names, classes, etc. from the FG xmls or lua. I've downloaded the "official" microsoft lua extension, and I'm not seeing a lot here. This is especially compounded when trying to add lua to an xml's script tag, it just throws in the towel on trying to understand anything including indentation.

On the flip side, Notepad++ is great at at least recognizing previously written strings in the file. This makes mistyping mistakes less frequent and find this very valuable. However, Notepad++ seems to struggle more with xml auto completions, understanding indentations, and my goodness, makes me shift+home all the time to remove full lines (as opposed to shift + delete).

It's like I'm trying to find a magical in-between. So beyond commiserating my experiences in these two products, has anyone found a way to get to a happy state of zen between the two?

I'm in the same boat as you. Neither tool seems to be ideal, but I tend to use VS the most, mostly for the GIT integration so I can source-control my extensions.

Blog Entries
    Nab the "XML Tools" addon for Notepad++ and that addresses everything you just mentioned, except possibly shift+delete, which I don't think I've ever used anyway, so don't miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by Talyn View Post
    Nab the "XML Tools" addon for Notepad++ and that addresses everything you just mentioned, except possibly shift+delete, which I don't think I've ever used anyway, so don't miss it.
    This was really helpful, thanks for the tip! Any ideas on how to get the auto indent to work? I have the option enabled in the Notepad settings, but doesn't seem to do anything here (or for lua for that matter). I'll keep poking around looking for clues, but the auto closing tags was a big help already!

I’ve been working with the Eclipse IDE. I loaded in the lua environ and use the git integration as well. I don’t do much fancy stuff but I usually softlink the ruleset from the clips workspace to the FG rulesets directory. Same for any module I am working on. The other rulesets/modules I scan for answers/ideas I simply import folder/filesystem where I select make link.

It definitely isn’t as good as when used as a Java or C++ ide.But for me, the left panel organization plus the context sensitive outlining makes navigation easier..

I am using Visual Studio Code and/or Notepad++. Both have XML plugins for syntax color coding, XML tree view and tools to manipulate it. VSCode I also use for PowerShell and Python.
    Still, don't know how good both are for LUA - I haven't yet started working with it (FG is the only use-case for LUA for me, so priorities in RL :O )

Visual Studio (I run Enterprise) is a bit of a overkill for me without proper SDK for FG that provides all nice features I am used to in C#.
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

I've written all the DOEs, the DORCore, and the 13th Age Ruleset, CoreRules Module and Bestiary (plus ongoing projects) all in Notepad++
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

Quote Originally Posted by dulux-oz View Post
    I've written all the DOEs, the DORCore, and the 13th Age Ruleset, CoreRules Module and Bestiary (plus ongoing projects) all in Notepad++
    What plug-ins are you using in Notepad++? Do you use an extension for have a tree-like folder structure or you deal with tabs, for example. I find having the project view of VS indispensable when working on projects with more than few files and folders (and FG's rulesets are quite big)
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

I have a "tab list" down the right-hand side of my screen and flip from file to file as needed.

The global "find & replace" is really useful as well (baring the odd "oh sh!t" moment)
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

I've tried several different editors, like Atom, Notepad++, VS and a couple more I can't recall. I tend to always fall back to Notepad++ after a bit. Most of them have similar functionality (searchin, file content searches/directory search, context highlight, auto-complete, plugins/addons) but I've just found myself liking the simple view and interface of notepad++ a little more. I might go back and give Visual Studio a try again mainly because I've been teaching myself Unity and it's bundled with that... so no need to use 2 different ones if I can avoid it.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Thread Information