5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

New Way To Create Sound Triggers in Fantasy Grounds

Ok, so first things first. I love Dulux-Oz's extensions and I absolutely plan to keep using them as they do tons of things that I want/need! Also, props to ProNobis who got me really thinking about alternatives to creating and triggering sounds withing Fantasy Grounds. Most of us know the standard method of using the wonderful DOE: Sound extension to create sound links. That still works of course and it is glorious. I'm going to keep using it for chatsound triggers among other things.

This post is about an alternative now that might help folks that either don't want to use any extensions or just want an alternative. ProNobis posted something regarding a change Moon Wizard made in one of the recent FG updates that allows for url recognition within the chat window in FG. Basically, if you copy and paste a url into the FG chat window it automagically creates a link with that can be clicked on/dragged dropped to a story entry, etc.. Great stuff. After seeing what ProNobis did within xml to create a way to trigger Syrinscape sounds directly from a link I wanted to figure out a way to do the same thing without cracking open xml.

So, after some googling I figured out a couple things. 1) there is a way to get windows to recognize uri links on your hard drive and 2) you can create shortcuts for syrinscape sounds to trigger them from a windows shortcut. Putting those two concepts together, you can create links within the FG chat window to trigger sounds on your hard drive and/or syrinscape sounds as follows:

Hard Drive Sounds:

1) Open the location of the sound you want to trigger on your hard drive and right click on it and select properties
    2) Go to the security tab
    3) Copy and paste the "object name" that appears in the window into FG chat
    4) note that the string will look something like this: ‪?C:\Users\Allen\Downloads\Alchemists_Lab.mp3
    5) change the wording in the FG chat window to the following structure exactly as I type it: file:///C:Users/Allen/Download/Alchemists_Lab.mp3
    6) Hit "enter"
    7) You should see a link now in chat and the word (LINK)

You can now drag/drop that link into a story entry and change the name to whatever you want it called. Note that I added the "file///" in front of the "C" AND I changed all of the backslashes to forward slashes. I think you need to make sure there are no spaces in the file name but I'm not sure. You definitely can't have spaces in the syrinscape structure that I will explain next.

Syrinscape Sounds:

1) Open Syrinscape, enable 3rd party sounds and click on the + sign for the sound mood or one-shot that you want to create a trigger for.
    2) Right click somewhere on your windows desktop and click on "new", then "shortctut"
    3) Paste the syrinscape url that you copied and click "next"
    4) Name the shortcut whatever you want but make sure there are no spaces (e.g. ForceMissile and not Force Missile)
    5) Save the shortcut to whatever location you want
    6) Open the shortcut you just created and right click on it and select properties
    7) Go to the security tab
    8) Copy and paste the "object name" that appears in the window into FG chat
    9) This time you only need to change the backslashes to forward slashes
    10) Hit "enter"
    11) You should see a link now in chat and the word (LINK)

Now you can drag/drop the link into a story entry, etc..

I attached a file image from within FG that shows the basics of what I describe above. The reason I find this interesting is I think in some of the free modules I have created, I could now go back and include sound boards or sound entries right within Fantasy Grounds so that they appear where relevant in the story and DM's could click on them to trigger than during an encounter, as a trap is triggered, etc.. And, I think I should be able to distribute that without violating anyone's copyright as the link will only work if you own the appropriate Syrinscape sound. There are other applications I'm thinking about as well.

Anyway, when I have time, maybe this weekend, I'll create a video on this. Huge thanks again to ProNobis who inspired me to think about how to do this (and who did this in xml for one of his modules) and Moon Wizard for making this possible. And again, this doesn't change my use of Dulux-Oz extensions which I can't live without!

Hope this helps a few of you...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gwydion; May 22nd, 2018 at 03:30.
    Live stream: https://www.twitch.tv/gwydione
    Youtube replays of fg sessions and tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQr...bIpAauZB41z8gA

Free stuff:
    D&D5e FAQ module for fg: https://www.dmsguild.com/product/196704/FAQs
    FG 5e Module Conversions: https://tinyurl.com/y6awo2la
    Map Maker Conversion: https://tinyurl.com/y3awlo4b
    Roll Player Conversion: https://tinyurl.com/y399kffz
    Rangers of Shadow Deep Conversion: https://tinyurl.com/rnyrgwg

Hi Everybody,

Just me sticking my $0.02 worth in - yes, this will work, although I find it rather more complicated than simply using the DOE:Sound - but each to their own. There is also some concern around whether the resulting links will be exportable (and then re-importable) into a Module correctly 100% of the time - originally, with version 1 of the DOE:Sound the approach listed in the first post here was the one we took to getting sounds working, but there were a lot of problems in getting the links working properly (especially around exporting the links in modules and then re-importing them). However, I know Moon Wizard has changed some of the URL-sub-engine in the FG-engine, so those issues may have since been reduced, or even removed; I don't know, as I haven't done the extensive testing (again) that we did when we came up with our original solution to the problems (which was released in version 2 of the DOE:Sound).

So yes, if you want use the above technique it'll work, and thanks to Gwy for laying it out - I, personally, will continue to use the DOE:Sound with the Miniboards (as described in the DOE:Sound Manual) because I know it works and its easier to set up - not only for Syrinscape Sounds but for mp3 files (and others) as well.

Well done Gwy

Cheers
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

I found easier to use Dulux-Oz extension for Syrinscape sounds and i will cotinue also using it, its great.
    For the hard drive sounds i use another method that i found easier:
    1.First i copy the file adress where my sounds are for example: C:\Users\Salvador\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds\Sounds
    2.Then i paste it on a browser like fire fox and press enter and i will have the list of the content (sounds or any other type of file i will want to trigger like help material in word etc) in the firefox result.
    3.Just right click on the sound or file you want and choose "Copy link location" and thats all.
    You will have the url needed for FG.
    Hope this help.
    Thanks!!
    Last edited by Salva; May 22nd, 2018 at 20:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Salva View Post
    I found easier to use Dulux-Oz extension for Syrinscape sounds and i will cotinue also using it, its great.
    For the hard drive sounds i use another method that i found easier:
    1.First i copy the file adress where my sounds are for example: C:\Users\Salvador\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds\Sounds
    2.Then i paste it on a browser like fire fox and press enter and i will have the list of the content (sounds or any other type of file i will want to trigger like help material in word etc) in the firefox result.
    3.Just right click on the sound or file you want and choose "Copy link location" and thats all.
    You will have the url needed for FG.
    Hope this help.
    Thanks!!
    Actually, you can do this for a DOE:Sound as well (if you wanted to control the sound off of your hard drive / youtube /whatever from inside FG ie as a chatsound, etc),
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

Quote Originally Posted by dulux-oz View Post
    Actually, you can do this for a DOE:Sound as well (if you wanted to control the sound off of your hard drive / youtube /whatever from inside FG ie as a chatsound, etc),
    Of course, thats the way i have been doing since i see the light with your extension. Thanks!

The timing of this thread couldn't be better. I'm making use of the techniques listed here for a community ruleset that has not been recently updated so isn't compatible with DOE:Sound. This is working well (including exported links as part of a .mod file), thank you!

Having alternatives is good though because (unless the situation has changed?) you can't use DOE extensions for anything commercial . . .

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The High Druid View Post
    Having alternatives is good though because (unless the situation has changed?) you can't use DOE extensions for anything commercial . . .
    Unless you reach out to Dulux and get a license from him. I don't think it's hard. I know others have done it.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Unless you reach out to Dulux and get a license from him. I don't think it's hard. I know others have done it.
    That's good to know. Having read one of his posts a while back about not being able to use them for streamed games, I was left with the impression this wasn't an option.

Wasn't that more about having a license for the music or sounds played?

Thread Information