STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last

The Dark Eye Theme

Here's a theme for the Dark Eye for use with More Core.

"The Dark Eye" and The Dark Eye logo are registered trademarks of Ulisses North America, used with permission

*13/04/2020 Updated with Damned's invaluable assistance to fix graphical bug*
    *16/04/1010 Updated with additional modifications from Raddu*

Thanks folks
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Skellan; April 16th, 2020 at 05:27. Reason: Graphical bug fix
    Ultimate License Holder - My games are free to play
    Timezone: GMT

Quote Originally Posted by Skellan View Post
    Here's a Dark Eye theme for the More Core I have been playing about with.
    This looks great.

I hate to be the copyright police - we have a strict policy on these forums. But... is that background image covered by copyright? Or is it valid public domain or do you have permission to use it?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

No worries - copyright stuff is confusing. I put a copyright notice on it - if this is not sufficient then I'll take it down

No worries - copyright stuff is confusing. I put a copyright notice on it - if this is not sufficient then I'll take it down
    I'm afraid that's not sufficient, sorry. Publishers put copyright on their products which restricts others from re-using their material without permission. Re-using this material and including the original copyright notice is actually a contradiction - breaking the exact copyright that you're including.

EDIT: It's really just the background image that's the main issue here.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Fair enough, I have removed it. To help me understand better - why is the background image a problem and the other art is not? It is all from the same place.

To help me understand better - why is the background image a problem and the other art is not? It is all from the same place.
    That's the only art that I, personally, know is under copyright protection. But, yes, it is best to assume any artwork is copyright protected unless there is a community commons, public domain statement or permission to use from the copyright holder.

Blog Entries
    Not to derail this thread, if more discussion is wanted on Copyright, I suggest a new thread be started.

A very quick non-legal summary of copyright basics as I understand it;
    - Copyright is automatically granted to every piece/type of intellectual property as soon as it is created. No copyright notice needs to be put on the piece, nor does the copyright need to be registered.
    - Copyright generally lasts for the life of the creator plus 70 years. But this varies widely depending upon the jurisdiction (country).
    - Copyright means you can not use the protected object without permission (a license). Exceptions to this include Fair Use (see below). Commercial vs Non-Commercial use is generally irrelevant to infringement.
    - Fair Use is generally only for Educational, Journalistic, and Research purposes and is generally very narrow when it applies. It also only applies in certain jurisdictions (countries).

In general, on this forum it is generally considered that any text or images that are distributed need to be;
    - owned/created by the person posting it
    - posted with permission from the copyright owner (a statement that you have an email from the owner is usually sufficient, or similar)
    - The item belongs to the Public Domain (a legal definition of the work) or has been released under a license such as Creative Commons(CC). Though even a CC license may require the author be credited. (Again, a statement to the license is usually sufficient).

A quick summary if you want to know more;
    https://www.smashingmagazine.com/201...-and-licenses/

The US Copyright Office's FAQ;
    https://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Fair enough. I removed it as soon as I was aware.

Ulisses allows some of the illustrations to be used by fans under specific circumstances. The actual terms seem to be fairly confusing though.

Thread Information