DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyar View Post
    I am currently struggling to build this reference manual for a module we are working on. I understand that it is done by editing the client.xml file and defining lists and linking to objects inside the export, but somehow the details elude me (i.e. i can't manage to make it to show in the Library, when I browse the module.

I checked https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...erence_Manuals, but what is inside as code is different compared to what I see in example module I was provided.
    I am currently doing /export from the campaign and then edit the client.xml.

Any resource I can check with more detailed explanations?
    I'm guessing you don't have the initial link in the <library> section of the module.

Have a look at the 5E SRD data module as an example - open "DD5E SRD Data.mod" and look in the <library> section for the reference manual librarylink.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by SailorLovins View Post
    When you are at the drawing board for the creation or conversion of a module what are your outlining / planning methods? I use Notepad ++ XML to create my modules and am about to undertake a large project of converting an old book to current 5E rulesets.
    I'm converting a trilogy of modules and am learning best practices from a handful of the developers on this site. What they've outlined are the strategies I follow.
    However, I have three suggestions to add:

1. It may prove more efficient over time to learn a program like Autohotkey to use when working in Notepad++, especially when creating NPCs within a given ruleset. Over the past year, I've learned some Autohotkey basics. Now, all the nonmagical weapons from -10 to +10 Strength and proficiency bonus combinations are coded. Type "Longsword +2 +2," (The pluses stand for Str. and Prof.) and the complete data appear for the weapon. I've also scripted skills, many magic items, and some NPC templates, so they appear after typing a hotstring. The Autohotkey script has progressed. I created the first draft of thirty-four NPCs in FRE2 in 8.13 hours. That’s fewer than 15 minutes an NPC.

2. Study Jason Hibdon’s tutorials. Jason walks through the process of building adventures and reference manuals for FG. Even if his videos are becoming dated because Zeus’s parser is no longer available or supported, the videos still emphasize valid processes and provide clear instructions. Jason’s steps are much like the ones described in previous posts.

3. Tired of doing something? Do something else. I made over 130 NPCs and wearied of doing the second edit of them. So, I edited the magic item descriptions, read the second and third modules and made a list of all relevant NPCs, items, etc., even made some maps for the modules using a recently released mapping utility. When there’s a lot to do on a project, pick something else to do. In a big project, a new activity offers a refreshing change of pace.
    Last edited by L. R. Ballard; May 19th, 2018 at 02:15. Reason: Changed "scripter" to "script."

Hey folks, is this wiki still correct based on today's paradigms?

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...Best_Practices

Any path changes?

Also, what does it mean when it says things like ~"used in ruleset 5e but not recommended for new rulesets" - for example: reference.classdata (Classes) - Where would this be recommended to go in the database for a new ruleset?

Blog Entries
    Yes, that is still valid; I reference it all the time when building DLC for a new ruleset, or one I haven't worked on in awhile.

5E is an odd beast. You'll notice all its datapaths add *data such as reference.classdata, .featdata, .spelldata, and so forth, where pretty much every other ruleset would use reference.classes, .feats, .spells, etc.

Gracias yeah, I noticed hehe.

Thread Information