Starfinder Playlist
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andraax View Post
    I understand that. I was responding to the statement "So from a extension user's perspective, this would be a great feature so that they continued to work when there is an update."

It does no such thing. It doesn't do much more than subscribing to the forum post does - notify you when an update has been made...
    My bad. I misunderstood the intent of the extension.
    See through the skies, far beyond our world tonight,
    Hear the sounds of freedom ring, in a silent dream,
    and a million miles away.
    Reach for the stars, and live our lives forever free,
    In our hearts for a thousand years, and a thousand lifetimes before.

And the dawn of a new day will rise, a light for us all. -Dragonforce

Blog Entries
    No problem. It would take significantly more work to attempt programmatically editing other extensions' contents to maintain compatibility.

As I said before, I'd be happy to take a look at fixing any extensions for you if you PM me.
    Window Saver X - Create and edit multiple presets of your often-used windows, then deploy them quickly and easily at need.

Blog Entries
    PM'd you the details.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Niles; May 12th, 2018 at 00:00.

Blog Entries
    Dulux_Oz was looking at something similar.
    I think there is benefit to it even though it wont get universal support from all extension authors.

Blog Entries
    replied to wrong person, sorry.
    Last edited by Niles; May 12th, 2018 at 02:37.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Dulux_Oz was looking at something similar.
    I think there is benefit to it even though it wont get universal support from all extension authors.
    I'll ping him about it and maybe he and I could work together on getting it started. It wouldn't need support from a developer if we either A) let anyone update the GitHub repo when new extension versions are released or B) allow people who are not the extension developer to sign up to maintain specific extensions' version info.
    Window Saver X - Create and edit multiple presets of your often-used windows, then deploy them quickly and easily at need.

I think as a user what would be more useful to me is a check to see what extensions I have that have not been updated or verified as working with the latest FG update.

I think in general this is a good idea. The main issues I see are the developers buying in - and keeping their extension info updated, what versions it supports, etc.. And the general process of keeping the extensions database this would use updated. These are big tasks that require many hours of monitoring and work every time FG is updated, and every time an extension is updated. I know - I've attempted to do this with the extension summary threads, but I no longer have the time (or inclination, if truth be told), to do this in any detail.

And, if it does go ahead, extension developers should be encouraged to opt-in, but it should not be insisted upon. (It's easy to be a little too insistent sometimes with things we're passionate about). We love extension developers and getting new functionality, but these developers should be allowed to provide the results of their hard work in whatever way they wish. Some people won't like the extra work that opting in to such an extension checking process will bring. We don't want to discourage extension developers in any way.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    And, if it does go ahead, extension developers should be encouraged to opt-in, but it should not be insisted upon. (It's easy to be a little too insistent sometimes with things we're passionate about).
    A very fair caution against over-eagerness Trenloe.

Quote Originally Posted by Gkjsdll View Post
    The public github repository would have a main branch housing the companion program's code, and a separate branch for each extension developer who would support this extension. I'm not sure what format would make the most sense for this data, but I could run a script from my PC that would automatically merge pull requests from each dev to their own branch.
    I was thinking that this could be changed to a separate branch for each extension, and each branch could be set up with restrictions for only specific people to be able to push changes to each extension. Each extension would need its infomation maintained by either its original developer, or a volunteer maintainer (which would be distinguished in-game somewhere). It might not be a perfectly smooth approach, but it stops the update work from relying on a few specific individuals.

It would clearly be the least amount of work overall for any developer who would know exactly when one of their extensions is updated, but I know that there are some people who are really active on the forums and might be interested in maintaining a certain list of extensions for others.

Oh, yeah - and I forgot to say it will also require the GMs to load the checker and run the external extension checker application. I know this is, in theory, not too much extra work - but it still requires the GM to do some steps to keep the data being checked up-to-date etc..

I'm not sure who the end user being targeted is? The everyday GM, or people who do tinkering/development themselves? If it was the everyday GM, I'm wondering how many of them would follow the process closely and get good results. We see multiple times of these forums users not reading stuff, not following directions/guides, using things that are very out of date and not updating properly. If this process still requires the latest companion application to be installed, and running this to get the latest information - and running it pretty regularly, as the GITHUB repository could be updated at any point, then I'm thinking it would be more helpful as a debugging tool, rather than an automatic way for everyone to regularly check their extensions - that is, a user has a problem and they're pointed towards checking their extensions with this tool.

@Gkjsdll - I don't want to come across too negative about this. I love the ambition and the thought process. Similar things to this have been discussed before and, essentially, without it being a pretty seamless process for all involved (developers and especially users), and people willing to do the hard work of keeping things regularly updated way into the future, this is going to be pretty much a nice-to-have niche project.

If the people involved with this are passionate about it and willing to put in the hard work, then I hope I'm wrong and I wish you the best in getting it off the ground and running successfully long into the future.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information