STAR TREK 2d20
Page 3 of 3 First 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
    The bandwidth challenges for real-time 3d are also currently essentially technologically impossible unless you can afford the highest speed uplinks. The reason it works for games is because they have central servers. SW could do that, but it wouldn't be free (or at least I don't see how it could be).
    Where are you getting this from?

Quote Originally Posted by ddavison View Post
    The biggest problem with any 3D-only option is going to be the inability to release new modules and content regularly. Costs for new models of monsters are going to be prohibitive for pretty much every adventure out there in both money and time.
    This ignores the sales form those 3d models, as well that if you use a complaint file type, you can allow people to 3d-print their own minis "for personal use".

Here is one we had from a while back.
    These would be easy if using a decent base, to allow people to 3d print on their own since they would be able to print multiple on a single plane.

for actual 3d models, the files could be sold for true 3d printing.

even the 2d/3d you can find plenty of places that could make then and people just print out sticker to put on the minis for real world use. so you could sell the standees art for people to put on clear acrylic flat forms that go into the bases and can be broken down after play to conserve space.

Litko makes the bases, SW would just need to design the paper-craft minis to go inside of them and sell a PDF that people could print their own minis of the 2d style shown in that post.

there is all kinds of options without trying to recreate every creture from every RPG from the past 40+ years in 3d form. even pog shaped tokens with an image to view form top down for an RPG where you don't need the z-axis for LOS since most RPGs are still 2d and dont really support the z-axis in the game mechanics.. ergo, how many parties can fight a dragon in flight? only the ones with ranged attacks.

most RPGs don't have a gravity factor since arrows fly ridiculous distances without having a drop factor to consider.

so those 2d minis would work just fine in a 3d environment and have other opportunities for revenue streams.

if it had dynamic lighting or such with that image, you wouldnt even really need everything a 3d model either. since the "table" would look like most real world tables: a flat map, and some minis to move around on it. the lighting would jsut be for ease of DM to not have to unmask everything in digital since the computer is built for doing those things and everyone wnts their "automation" fo everything anyway. thus why lighting is one of the few new things people have seen about FGU.

Blog Entries
    There is not likely to be any sort of 3d printing option. 3D objects for printing and 3D objects optimized for video game uses are two completely different things.

The example 2D extruded models would not be new models at all but would be a process of automatically converting available 2D graphic assets into a stand-up style object for use in the program.

3D objects for printing and 3D objects optimized for video game uses are two completely different things.
    I am not sure where you got this information form, but it is entirely not true.

the 3D models shown in AO for example come straight out of Blender, and the same files used to load can also be used in a program made to slice those files and then 3D print them. the depth and detail of the 3d model is only limited by the ability to create it in Blender, or Maya, or whatever other 3D rendering software you choose to use that can load into both VTT and a splice program.

then it is only a matter of the thickness of filament you use for 3D printing, and the limitations of your printer size as to how big they can be, that will make the printed 3d vary from what you see in pixels.

you can watch Kale show in his video where he took the diamond in Blender and opened it in AO.

here is how to get Blender 3d objects into Unity

and anyone can Google how to 3d print things form Blender.

the key is don't design stupidly like that Wayne person form 4e art with silly spikes all over everything for no reason.

and unlike AO, you don't need video game like animations in a 3d VTT, so the cookie-cutter 2d standees will 3d print rather nicely. but if they are jsut masked out flat images to an extruded plane, then again the Litko solution works, and just needing 2d art works for both 3d VTT and real life. people still print the paper "minis" and shove them into the bases.

one thing i want to mention that you said and i bolded.. a VTT is NOT a video game, and if anyone designs one to be that way, then they have missed the point of a VTT. static models are all a VTT requires, otherwise with the shear lack of 3d or even 2d animations in the current version of FG, there would be nobody using it. "tokens" are fine with most people wanting to use a VTT. people wanting to play RPG video games have WoW; and i would hope SW and AO doesn't think either stands a chance against Blizzard?

Talespire is cute, but too video-gamey for most things.

at a point and time where a "VTT" removes the need for a DM, then it is no longer a VTT. It might as well be a board game video game engine... if it can handle board games.

I think on-the-fly conversions of 2d assets to 3d standees should be the baseline option for initial 3d support. I was extremely happy to see TabletopConnect take that path back in the day. It was the most obvious solution to the problem of 3d asset rarity and production for VTT gaming and Carl pretty much nailed the implementation. There were even some videos posted once upon a time that showed how you could view the map from the token's perspective. It was impressive.

That said, TableTop Simulator has shown that if you build it they will come. There is a mind-boggling number of 3d assets available for use with it. If FGU could support asset conversions (TTS *is* a unity app) then there is a massive library already in place for people to mine... Not to mention that I have no doubt that if FGU supported an open 3d format the assets would come.

As for Talespire... it is video gamey (visually) but that doesn't have to be a bad thing so long as they come around to producing integrated game management tools. If they go down the TTS path and fail to provide the game and data management tools that leading VTT's offer then they will only appeal to a particular subset of rpg gamers. And I can't imagine that both will remain blind to the market they're currently not tapping. They just have different focuses right now.

Personally, I think the apps that survive all end up having far more in common than they do now. TTS and Talespire will probably (eventually) have better game management... and FGU will probably (eventually) catch up to the graphical capabilities of TabletopConnect/Talespire.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shadzar View Post
    then it is only a matter of the thickness of filament you use for 3D printing, and the limitations of your printer size as to how big they can be, that will make the printed 3d vary from what you see in pixels.
    Actually, many/most 3D printers don't use a filament. It's only the majority of cheap low end ones that do.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I get the desire for VTTs not to try to be too "video gamey" but I think some of that is nice for immersion and ambiance, and can also be informative. I'm thinking of relatively simple effects like the rain and water effects that were in a previous FGU teaser, flickering light from a campfire against nearby walls, shadows, etc. I think those can add something in a similar way as appropriate background music can.

Quote Originally Posted by notrealdan View Post
    I get the desire for VTTs not to try to be too "video gamey" but I think some of that is nice for immersion and ambiance, and can also be informative. I'm thinking of relatively simple effects like the rain and water effects that were in a previous FGU teaser, flickering light from a campfire against nearby walls, shadows, etc. I think those can add something in a similar way as appropriate background music can.
    I definitely like the immersion features as well. Right now I use a combination of the moodlighting extension and background music/sound to help immerse the players. Even changing the lighting has an impact on their experience. Love it!
    Live stream: https://www.twitch.tv/gwydione
    Youtube replays of fg sessions and tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQr...bIpAauZB41z8gA

Free stuff:
    D&D5e FAQ module for fg: https://www.dmsguild.com/product/196704/FAQs
    FG 5e Module Conversions: https://tinyurl.com/y6awo2la
    Map Maker Conversion: https://tinyurl.com/y3awlo4b
    Roll Player Conversion: https://tinyurl.com/y399kffz
    Rangers of Shadow Deep Conversion: https://tinyurl.com/rnyrgwg

Thread Information