DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Testing fresh modules from notepad++

I am at over 12k lines if xml coding using notepad++. Most of it in either the reference section or the list section. I have a couple of objects in the table section and absolutley nothing in the library section. My definition.xml and my client.xml files are savwd in a folder I named as the module name. I am pretty certain I dont have any syntax issues but cant know for sure yet with what limited knowledge I have on XML coding. How do I convert these files into a working object that fantasy grounds will use? Otherwise how can I test my work?

If you already have the module loaded in a campaign, just close and reopen the module (after saving all your buffers in notepad). Should pick up the changes.

I do not have it losded in game yet. I created these two particular files feom scratch using notepad++.

Well, then, create a test campaign and open your module in it. That's the only way to see what it looks like in play...

Select the definition and client.xml files and then zip them up. Then rename the files to be whatever name you gave it and change the .zip to .mod. Place the .mod file in your modules folder, load a new campaign and open the module in that campaign. I would suggest that you do this kind of thing rather more frequently than waiting until you have 12,000 lines of code since if there is an error somewhere you'll likely never find it.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

You don't need to zip up the module until you're done. It loads fine from the original, unpacked directory. Matter of fact, if you have both a packed and unpacked module, FG will use the unpacked one by preference...

To clarify - you can load module data into FG while working on the files. This info has kinda been mentioned above, but I think it still needs clarifying.

1) Create a directory with the name of your module in the <FG app data>\modules directory.
    2) Copy the definition.xml and client.xml flies into this directory.
    3) Load up FG with a campaign for the appropriate ruleset defined in definition.xml
    4) Activate your module.
    5) Debug.

As Andraax mentions - if you make any changes to your data, save client.xml and close/reopen the module in FG - this will load the new data.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    To clarify - you can load module data into FG while working on the files. This info has kinda been mentioned above, but I think it still needs clarifying.

1) Create a directory with the name of your module in the <FG app data>\modules directory.
    2) Copy the definition.xml and client.xml flies into this directory.
    3) Load up FG with a campaign for the appropriate ruleset defined in definition.xml
    4) Activate your module.
    5) Debug.

As Andraax mentions - if you make any changes to your data, save client.xml and close/reopen the module in FG - this will load the new data.
    ALL SET. Thanks!
    Last edited by romelwell; October 1st, 2018 at 01:53.
    I am a Slow Processor, who soaks in the data, thinks, stares, tries to make sense of what I am seeing, hoping for a breakthrough. All around are snappier brains, busy being dazzling, but not mine, which just plods on until it finally sees something special, hiding in plain view.

Thread Information