DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Creating modules for different campaign parts

understood, but then would you have a suggestion to "share" formatted tables in multiple modules?

Let's say i am creating a reference table in a campaign, i then packaged the whole campagin as a module
    If i want to "copy and modify" that "packaged table" into a new soon to be module, is there a way i can achieve that from the loaded module or do i have then have to create (and export) all my modules in the same campaign unit ?

Not really sure this is clear enough, still pretty new to this, even though i documented myself

MODERATOR: Moved from the Star Wars thread as this is a generic FG discussion.
    Last edited by Trenloe; April 25th, 2018 at 18:43.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjip View Post
    If i want to "copy and modify" that "packaged table" into a new soon to be module, is there a way i can achieve that from the loaded module or do i have then have to create (and export) all my modules in the same campaign unit ?
    You can only ever export data from a campaign into a module. You can't export data from a module into a module.

You can either use your original "module making" campaign and export from there. Or create a new "module making" campaign and copy (drag/drop) the story entries and other records you require from the module into the campaign, modify the campaign data and then export into a module.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Ok so please let me rephrase this to make sure I understand correctly

1.Create stories items and everything else required for first "episode" in a campaign building unit
    2. Export the module

3. Run the module with players

4. Create a second campaign building unit
    5. Add temporarily the exported module and copy story items required (I guess drag and drop would work)
    6. Remove the module
    7. Export second module from second building campaign

Rinse and repeat for other episodes

Does this sound correct ?
    Last edited by bigjip; April 25th, 2018 at 18:07.

Ok so please let me rephrase this to make sure I understand correctly

1.Create stories items and everything else required for first "episode" in a campaign building unit
    2. Export the module

3. Run the module with players

4. Create a second campaign building unit
    5. Add temporarily the exported module and copy story items required (I guess drag and drop would work)
    6. Remove the module
    7. Export second module from second building campaign

Rinse and repeat for other episodes

Does this sound correct ?
    Yes.

You could also replace steps 4-6 with copying the campaign in step #1 (copy the campaign directory) and then editing the copied campaign and exporting module #2 from that. The deciding factor might be how much data you're keeping, and if there are a lot of links you want to keep.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

ok, sound great

if i reuse the inital campaign, wouldn't that be more work to manage the items to export for each subsequent modules ?
    I saw a videos explaining with drag and drop into the export window but select all seems "safer" to avoid errors...

any feedback or suggestions based on your experience?

if i reuse the inital campaign, wouldn't that be more work to manage the items to export for each subsequent modules ?
    That's why I suggested making a copy of the initial campaign, you're re-using the data but not changing the original (so you can always use the original if you need to at some point) - then you can remove the data you don't want and edit the stuff you need. So you'll be copying "Module Maker Part 1" and renaming it "Module Maker Part 2" - this is done by copying the "Module Maker PArt 1" directory in the <FG app data>\campaigns directory using Windows file explorer outside of FG (close FG down first).

As I said, the deciding factor between copying the original module making campaign or creating a new module making campaign and copying in individual records from the module, is going to be how much data you want to keep from that original campaign/module. If it's only a few records, then it is easier to copy from a module than delete all the unwanted records, if you want to keep most of the original records then go with making a copy of the original campaign.

Ok thank you for the detailed explanation

I guess I'll see what fit my needs best after a couple of modules

Also, the common/reference tables and shared items should be in a library module
    Inspection of the "player library" will be useful for these nice tables for equipment and the likes

Thread Information