STAR TREK 2d20

How would I enter this attack and the defense dice

This is for an NPC but should apply to a PC just as well when adding them into the combat tracker. I have not played M&M 3E in years and I have never played it in FG. I've been reading older posts, mainly this one, about how to do it but wanted to make sure.

This is from Pack-Rat on page 5 in the Quick Start Guide from Green Ronin:
    Claws and Teeth: Close attack Damage 2 (his STR is already included in this)
    He has Close Combat: Claws 8 (+12) skill.

So his To Hit is +12 and his Damage is 2. From the other thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakosDJ
    <fluff text> [Ranged/Close]<Damage> [+/-]Rank <vs [fortitude/will/dodge/parry/toughness]> ([+/-]DC <vs [fortitude/will/dodge/parry/toughness]>);
    Range/Close - indicated the Defense used for the attach Dodge or Parry respectively
    Rank - The total attack bonus for the power (your to-hit roll modifier)
    DC - The total save DC for the attack. You must include the base value (10 or 15) in this number
    vs - By default the save goes against toughness, if a different save is required you need to list it here.
    Which I think means it should be entered like this (the +17 comes from Damage 2 plus the base DC of 15 for an attack):
    Claws And Teeth Close Damage +12 vs parry (+17 vs toughness)

When I roll this attack I would see:
    [GM] [ATTACK (M)] Claws And Teeth Close Damage [vs parry] (rolled 20)
    [GM] Attack [32] -> [at Speedster] [AUTOMATIC HIT] [CRITICAL HIT]

From the text above, the keywords Damage, vs parry and vs toughness are all optional but I wanted to make sure I was understanding everything. Even Close is optional as that appears to be default so this would also work
    Claws And Teeth +12 (+17)

And, when I roll this attack I will see something like:
    [GM] [ATTACK (M)] Claws And Teeth [vs parry] (rolled 19)
    [GM] Attack [31] -> [at Speedster] [HIT]

And then Speedster, who has a Parry of +14 was hit (DC was 24 which was beat by both rolls and that is calculated correctly), has a Toughness of +4 and we know the Damage Resistance DC is 17 (base 15 + 2 Damage ranks). Which means he has to roll a 13 or higher. Is there a way to roll this automatically and have it determine how many ranks of failure? Or do I just roll my Toughness die and determine it manually?

BTW, I had to use And instead of & or and as the parser does not pick up those words and will just highlight Teeth. Seems to happen only if the fluff has the word And in it although I have not experimented enough with it.

Apologies for all the text. I really want to figure this out so I can GM a game in FG and so there may be more posts like this if I am uncertain about what I find in the ruleset and other posts.

Thanks!

Hummm... I haven't used the ruleset in quite some time, but I seem to remember that it did automatically roll defenses. But I just tested this and it doesn't auto role defenses anymore. This is odd. I wonder if this is something that no longer works due to the updates to FG. This ruleset is not supported so it is still pre-Core. I'm not sure when this stopped working. I also checked for an option but there wasn't one.

The power definition you posted is correct for the NPC's. PC's are entered differently.

Thanks, DrakosDJ!

The power definition you posted is correct for the NPC's. PC's are entered differently.
    This is what I have on my PC right now as I test it and below that is the Powers tab. Does that look correct? I am not sure if I need to add the base DC to the Effect DC row in the Adjust box.
    Speedster-Attacks-FG.jpg
    Speedster-Powers-FG.jpg

I accidentally figured out how to do the damage. It seems if you carefully put the mouse over the damage DC it will just highlight that and you can double click and it will do the check and apply the condition. I say carefully because if you move the mouse too fast it doesn't seem to register it. I may be a bit twitchy, though.

Quote Originally Posted by TriOpticon View Post
    Thanks, DrakosDJ!

This is what I have on my PC right now as I test it and below that is the Powers tab. Does that look correct? I am not sure if I need to add the base DC to the Effect DC row in the Adjust box.
    Speedster-Attacks-FG.jpg
    Speedster-Powers-FG.jpg

I accidentally figured out how to do the damage. It seems if you carefully put the mouse over the damage DC it will just highlight that and you can double click and it will do the check and apply the condition. I say carefully because if you move the mouse too fast it doesn't seem to register it. I may be a bit twitchy, though.
    Ok, the Speedster-Powers tab looks good.

On the Speedster-Attacks, yes you need to enter the base (15 for damage, 10 for other) into the DC calculations.

Thanks for the memory jog there. You are correct you hover over the damage and click to get the resistance roll. This is actually a relief that this still works.

I would love to see the ruleset updated though. You read my initial thoughts thread, so you know some of the improvements I would like to see.
    Last edited by DrakosDJ; April 25th, 2018 at 04:34.

Thanks for checking, DrakosDJ! Once I got through creating the character and their powers, things looked better.

I do agree with your improvements. I wish all the conditions were available and not something I have to create. I also wish someone had already done them and I could import them.

Thread Information