Starfinder Playlist

Multiple Simultaneous Campaign Instances on Same Machine

It seems that Fantasy Grounds supports the ability for a DM two launch two instances of Fantasy Grounds on the same machine, and load up two different campaigns.

(To be clear - I'm not talking about a case where you click "Load Campaign" on one instance, and then "Join Game" w/a Host Address of "localhost" to that same campaign.)

This is great, as it would theoretically allow you to launch one instance where players can login and create characters, while simultaneously perform DM prep work for a different campaign (possibly restarting it), without the one campaign affecting the other.

(For example - the DM could restart the instance / campaign where he or she is doing game prep w/o disrupting users creating characters on the other instance).

However - it looks like both instances would share the same external connect IP address / hostname / alias.

It also looks like an external player can connect while in this mode.

So - if a player does connect while the host machine is running two campaign instances - to which loaded campaign (which FG instance) will they be directed?

Does the player always connect to the first FG instance (campaign) that was started up? Do they connect to a random instance (campaign)?

I was hoping one of the developers could explain the expected behavior in this scenario and if it is deterministic.
    Last edited by Gamerman; April 21st, 2018 at 00:36.

So, you want to open FG twice, each with different campaigns open, and only allow 1 of the campaigns for people to connect to but not the other?

I suppose it’s first come, first serve; but I’ve never tried to run a fake with players like this.

Regards,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    The way it works is like this:

any application that listens on a specific port will bind to that port and listen on it providing that port is available
    so the first instance that you launch will listen on port 1802
    if you launch a second instance (without changing the listening port via command line) it will fail to bind to that port because something else has already bound to it.
    so the second instance that you launch will not bind to and will not listen on any port

so you should launch the campaign that you want players to connect to first
    then launch your prep/dev campaign next

Thread Information