DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Blog Entries

Reroll Initiative every rounds EFFECTS expiry

When rerolling initiative every round, effects that are set to expire on a certain initiative are then not set correctly in the next round. Is it possible for an extension to be written that will affect (recalculate) all current expiry initiatives and reapply the new number? Seems complicated, but it would be REALLY cool!
    rob2e - Join me on Discord!
    Become a Patron!
    Follow me on the Twitters
    Come watch the Twitches... twitch.tv/rob2e
    Also my YouTube Channel
    Available on the FORGE
    My Dungeon Master's Guild Material

Blog Entries
    The effects should still expire on the correct initiative number, it's just that your initiative number might well be different, so the effect will last a fraction of a round longer than supposed to or less than supposed to. In the long run it should even out, but yeah as a non programmer this sounds complicated.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Not easy. But I don't think it's needed, either. If an effect is applied at initiative #6 and lasts one round, it *should* expire at initiative #6 the next round (it lasts exactly one round). If the combatants get a new initiative, that shouldn't affect when the effect expires.

Quote Originally Posted by Andraax View Post
    Not easy. But I don't think it's needed, either. If an effect is applied at initiative #6 and lasts one round, it *should* expire at initiative #6 the next round (it lasts exactly one round). If the combatants get a new initiative, that shouldn't affect when the effect expires.
    If I'm not mistaken some items expire on the casters initiative. Not "end of round".

I actually did this in AD&D Core at one point but removed it during backport of a big effects update from CoreRPG/5e and haven't added it back.

I'll try and look at this again Rob (cause I plan to put it back in AD&D Core) and see how much trouble it'd be as a 5e extension.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by celestian View Post
    If I'm not mistaken some items expire on the casters initiative. Not "end of round".

I actually did this in AD&D Core at one point but removed it during backport of a big effects update from CoreRPG/5e and haven't added it back.

I'll try and look at this again Rob (cause I plan to put it back in AD&D Core) and see how much trouble it'd be as a 5e extension.
    COOL! Can't wait to find out what the (extension) master comes up with.
    rob2e - Join me on Discord!
    Become a Patron!
    Follow me on the Twitters
    Come watch the Twitches... twitch.tv/rob2e
    Also my YouTube Channel
    Available on the FORGE
    My Dungeon Master's Guild Material

See if this 5e: Change Initiative, Update Effects works for ya.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Blog Entries
    So one round Im last actor and in the next round Im first actor so my awesome spell just fizzled?
    Or... Im first one round and last the next and my spell is now double awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    So one round Im last actor and in the next round Im first actor so my awesome spell just fizzled?
    Or... Im first one round and last the next and my spell is now double awesome!
    That's the joys of rolling initiative every round You never know when you'll be able to act.
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by celestian View Post
    That's the joys of rolling initiative every round You never know when you'll be able to act.
    I think you misunderstood what damned meant. From a logical viewpoint, effects duration shouldn't have anything to do with your next initiative. This may be how xxx game rules are made, and then that's how FG xxx ruleset should work, but that's another story.

To elaborate, we have:
    • two effects duration sets: fixed duration and variable duration
    • two effects handling types: autonomous and maintained effects
    • two ways of handling initiative: fixed or changing each round

Some game rules designers choose to keep it simple to handle and usually you end up with fixed initiative and effects ending at end of next round, whatever your initiative was.

If they want to be more realistic, initiative changes each round and effects duration becomes more tricky:
    • maintained effects should stop when PC stops managing them, which means PC's initiative rank of whatever relevant round (which has a good chance of being different from the initiative rank it was initiated at)
    • autonomous effects (spells, stunning, etc.) duration should be calculated from the moment they took place, which means the PC's initiative rank at that time. They've got nothing to do with following rounds PC's initiatives. And I think that's what damned was pointing out.

This thread is in the generic CoreRPG forum and, as has just been mentioned, this can be very much RPG specific. Do things expire at the end of the round? At the beginning or end of a actor's turn? Something else? It can vary widely - and there may even be multiple differences within the same RPG ruleset.

So, I don't think this can realistically be done for the generic CoreRPG ruleset. Maybe on a more ruleset-by-ruleset basis.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information