Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Ruleset error when loading or creating campaigns after update

Just updated, launcher says I'm on V3.3.5 Ultimate. On a Mac using the Steam version. When I tried to load my long-running 5E campaign (which worked fine yesterday), I received the following error message:

"Ruleset:
    Error: Unable to load ruleset file (base.xml). Do you want to try reloading the data?"

Selecting Yes simply repeats the error message. Selecting No brings up the console with a list of Ruleset error messages before saying "Runtime Notice: Returning to Launcher. (If there is a way to copy/paste from wineskin to OSX, I don't know it, otherwise I would include the full text.)

If I try to create a new campaign, 5E is not even listed in the rulesets.

Attempting to open or create campaigns using 4E, 3.5, or PFRPG return a similar error message

"Ruleset: 4E/3.5E
    Error: References Missing child ruleset (CoreRPG). Do you want to try reloading the data?"

Choosing yes simply repeats the error. Choosing No brings up the console with the same list of ruleset errors as 5E before returning me to launcher.

Checking the rulesets folder shows all rulesets as being present.

HELP?

Welcome to the forums. Sorry you're having issues.

This sounds like your update has not completed.

Try the following:
    - Go to your <FG app data>\rulesets directory
    - Delete CoreRPG.pak and 5E.pak.
    - Run an update.
    - Check that CoreRPG.pak (9,890 KB) and 5E.pak (6,497 KB) have been fully downloaded. If not, try updating again...
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I did as you said, deleting both.pak files, and ran the updater again, which replaced them. However the same error message appears. I will note that the .pak files are both slightly larger than you indicated. I also noticed that although the launcher is version 3.3.5, the updater shows "Fantasy Grounds Updater v 3.3.4."

Quote Originally Posted by ggoesch View Post
    I also noticed that although the launcher is version 3.3.5, the updater shows "Fantasy Grounds Updater v 3.3.4."
    Don't worry about the updater, it's the App version that matters.

Check in your <FG app data>\rulesets directory. Do you have any directories called CoreRPG or 5E?

Do you get the error if you create a new campaign for the CoreRPG ruleset?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Yes, I deleted them, ran the update, and now they are back. However, neither of them appear in the list of rulesets on the create new campaign page. I have 3.5, 4e, Basic roleplaying (greyed out), call of cthulu (greyed out), castles and crusades (greyed out), Fate Core, Numenera, PFRPG, Rolemaster classic (greyed out), and Savage Worlds (greyed out). No sign of CoreRPG or 5E.

Quote Originally Posted by ggoesch View Post
    Yes, I deleted them, ran the update, and now they are back. However, neither of them appear in the list of rulesets on the create new campaign page. I have 3.5, 4e, Basic roleplaying (greyed out), call of cthulu (greyed out), castles and crusades (greyed out), Fate Core, Numenera, PFRPG, Rolemaster classic (greyed out), and Savage Worlds (greyed out). No sign of CoreRPG or 5E.
    This sounds like the application is using a different data directory to the one the updater is using.

Do you have two installs of FG?

Click the folder icon in the top right of the FG startup screen - this will open the data directory the app is looking at, are the rulesets in the /ruleset directory the ones you've downloaded today?

Unless steam is doing something screwy, I just have the one install. I haven't done any major file copying or moving, most things are where they started. Anyway, yes, I accessed the ruleset directory by clicking on the folder icon on the launcher, and the 5E.pak and CoreRPG.pak in there were downloaded just today.

Hhhhmmm, very strange.

Especially as the "New Campaign" screen doesn't show CoreRPG or 5E!

Can you search all of your hard drives for 4E.pak - as this was shown in the New Campaign screen? See if it finds a location different to the one where 5E.pak and CoreRPG.pak are.

The only one I could find is in the same location as the new 5e and coreRPG. It shows that it was modified today at the time I ran the initial update. The directory path is SUPER Weird. It goes through [MyUsername]>Library>Application support>steam>steamapps>common>Fantasy Grounds>FantasyGrounds(the actual application, not a folder)>contents>resources>drive_c>users>wineskin> application data>Fantasy Grounds>rulesets. If I try searching my hard drive without going through the folder icon on the launcher, I cannot locate these files at all.

Double check your forum account login info on the settings.

Thread Information