STAR TREK 2d20
Page 3 of 3 First 123

Thread: Rappan Athuk

Quote Originally Posted by Myrdin Potter View Post
    I did one level of RA in 5e (Mouth of Doom from the 5e Kickstarter). I am pretty experienced at it and it took me a few hours. I had all the text, created new descriptive text where it did not exist, and the NPC’s ready in those few hours. The parcels and specific items took me another few hours but then everything was loaded and ready.
    It was well done. Probably more prep than most GMs would go to when running over voice, but very well done.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Once a GM has some familiarity with FG, and the tools they use to import maps/images and NPCs, you can quickly prep for a session. I reckon it takes me less than 1 hour to prep for a 5 hour Pathfinder session on FG. As I mentioned above, you don't *need* all of the descriptive text. Is it nice to have? Sure, but you don't need it!
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    It will get the basics in - attributes, saves, skills, weapons, equipment. There have been issues with some spells for some classes. It gets you most of the way. You could do a basic HL import for your first session - to get players using the character sheet.

I still use it for bringing PF characters into FG.

One gotcha - once imported into FG you need to do everything within FG - level up, etc.. As there is no export from FG back to HL. You can use HL as a guide for leveling, but you'll then have to apply the changes manually to the PC in FG, or do a new import as a new character (probably more hassle than it's worth as you'll lose current PC data stored in FG).
    thanks - so that is where the mods come in then, as I assume if we are using other OGL not in the core, that would need to be added?

Quote Originally Posted by Fionavar View Post
    thanks - so that is where the mods come in then, as I assume if we are using other OGL not in the core, that would need to be added?
    Not necessarily - you can always enter data manually.

But, if you want drag/drop of spells or items, look at the various modules in the community modules thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Not necessarily - you can always enter data manually.

But, if you want drag/drop of spells or items, look at the various modules in the community modules thread.
    Thanks - I have downloaded everything I could find I am spoiled with the HL Community pack being all blended together.

Blog Entries
    I really do echo what Trenloe said - start off light and don't try and put everything in. I did, but I like to drop the boxed text (read aloud) into chat. I took short-cuts, for example, there is a rumors table with 65+ different ones and I did not create a table with all of them, I just rolled dice and made chat boxes with the results to share. I created all the traps as NPC and made items for everything in the treasure description but that is overkill for the average session.

It does make the experience a little better for the players if you do more work in advance, but it is not that big a difference.

If you are really new to FG, I suggest buying a module and running it to see what can be done and going from there as a base.
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

Quote Originally Posted by Myrdin Potter View Post
    I really do echo what Trenloe said - start off light and don't try and put everything in. I did, but I like to drop the boxed text (read aloud) into chat. I took short-cuts, for example, there is a rumors table with 65+ different ones and I did not create a table with all of them, I just rolled dice and made chat boxes with the results to share. I created all the traps as NPC and made items for everything in the treasure description but that is overkill for the average session.

It does make the experience a little better for the players if you do more work in advance, but it is not that big a difference.

If you are really new to FG, I suggest buying a module and running it to see what can be done and going from there as a base.

Thanks Myrdin Potter - should be finishing Tsar in May and then am going to play with FG and then hopefully start RA in September.

RA is more of a classical dungeon delve along the lines of tomb of horrors but far larger. Tsar is more of a structured campaign with a similar level of deadliness. Starting at level 7 or so gives the players a better footing as opposed to RA's level 1. Though there are many entrances to start at for parties of varying levels, but if you take them, you shorten the dungeon as it effectively short-cut large sections of the module.

Regarding RA on FG, I'm not sure there is a PF version in the works given the focus on 5e, and if there is, it won't be released any time soon. I have about 1/3 of the module prepped in terms of maps, encounters, and story entries, given that there's an official version coming out it's not shareable due to CC.

I have heard from FGG for PFRPG that they did hand data over to FG in October - FG has informed me that it implementing it is in the beginning stages.

Thread Information