STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: Rappan Athuk

Rappan Athuk

Hi there,

My party of adventurers will likely finish Slumbering Tsar in May - after 6 years of adventuring face-face! I am - however - relocating out of town and we are seriously looking at RA to be run on FG. I know that the maps will be coming out soon for the PF system. I am wondering if there is a community pack for the adventure? I have all of the PDFs for RA. As well, could someone explain how the OGL works with FG? How do they get added to the game? As well, I have a license for Zoom and am thinking of using that for the audio/video connexion: anyone else using Zoom? Anything else you might have time to offer would be well received. Thanks for any wisdom you might be able to offer to a newb!

Welcome to the forums!

It is planned to commercially release Rappan Athuk. Some info here: Some info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post355504

Quote Originally Posted by Fionavar View Post
    As well, could someone explain how the OGL works with FG?
    Anyone can share anything which is released under the OGL - as long as you share it with the OGL included. This does not include artwork or descriptive text, etc..

Only game mechanics are part of the OGL, and Frog God Games' copyright statement in the Pathfinder edition of Rappan Athuk is: " All characters, names, places, items, art and text herein are copyrighted by Frog God Games, Inc." So, you'd really only be able to reproduce NPC statblocks and item game mechanics, in theory you wouldn't be able to use proper names for key NPCs etc.. You couldn't include any maps, artwork, etc..

So, you can either wait for a Pathfinder FG version (maybe, or maybe not - they seem to be concentrating on 5e for the first release), or you can build it yourself in FG. The Creature Parser will help get the NPCs into FG (See the note in post #2 about FGG statblocks): https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...2-Beta-Version Other than that, you'll need to export the maps from the PDF and import them into FG - or buy the new maps from the recent kickstarter.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

You'll also find a lot of the monsters in the Tome of Horrors products available in FG format: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store...search=&sort=1
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thanks Trenloe! Is there any way to figure out possible timeframe for the PF release?
    Last edited by Fionavar; April 17th, 2018 at 00:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Fionavar View Post
    Thanks Trenloe! I was not aware the KS was also for PF. Will see if they can offer any clarity!
    To clarify - No Fantasy Grounds Rappan Athuk product has been kickstarted by FGG for this. The Kickstarter mentioned in the thread I linked is for the 5E version of Rappan Athuk in PDF/book form.

All we know is that it is being planned for a 5E FG conversion, and maybe a Pathfinder one (maybe).

Blog Entries
    Yes, Rappan Athuk is being made. @GunbunnyFuFu was the DLC Developer chosen for this project, but it's a massive undertaking so it's coming along slowly. The current plan is to do the 5E one first, then use that as the basis for the Pathfinder version. Couple things slowing it down: real life, first. Job, family, finishing his degree, etc. Then RA itself is a massive project. A big part of that massive project is eleventy bazillion NPCs; building those slow us all down.

Yes, as a person creating his own RA module, it is a beast and a half to make. I think I am about 170ish pages (was making the Demon's Gullet before I got side tracked) in and that is just with spare time between running other games and setting up for a Starfinder game. Just be patient and it might come otherwise, get cracking.

Oh and how did your players like Tsar? I have attempted a pair of groups into that desolate place and both groups died because they didn't have enough motivation to stay out there (that and the characters died.. a lot..).
    Last edited by Blahness98; April 17th, 2018 at 18:32.
    Ultimate License Holder

Running:
    Nothing at the moment.

Time Zone: Central Time (GMT -6)

How much data you enter to be able to run a game is pretty much a personal thing. At minimum you need maps and NPC stats. This will be made easier with the recent RA kickstarter for digital maps. For Pathfinder, as I mentioned above, a lot of the creatures are in the Tome of Horrors book (also a FG product). And with the couple of different Pathfinder creature parsers you can get the other creatures into FG.

How much work you then do beyond this is up to you.
    - If you're running using voice you don't need all of the descriptive text. Just have your book/PDF handy and read from that.
    - You might want to prepare the encounters ahead of time - perhaps drag the encounter links to the relevant location on the map. But, encounters can also be put together on the fly.
    - You might want to add in custom item records.
    - You might want to put together NPC equipment parcels. Or, if you have the relevant equipment modules ready, you could create these on the fly as required.
    - Prepare relevant graphics tokens, or just use the auto applied letter ones, or do quick token searches through your token modules when needed.

Yes, we all know it's nice to have the whole product in FG. But if you want to run something, and you don't have the complete FG module, it can still be done without a stupid amount of work. As long as you're a little familiar with FG and have the data available in modules or the campaign data (maps, handouts, NPCs, items, etc.). You don't need to have everything at your fingertips and available for immediate use during the game. It's perfectly fine having a couple of minutes pause here and there where you put a random encounter together or an item parcel or something else. Take it easy, don't panic, put the stuff together you require and continue the game. Get the players to talk among themselves, whatever works for your group.

Quote Originally Posted by Blahness98 View Post
    Yes, as a person creating his own RA module, it is a beast and a half to make. I think I am about 170ish pages (was making the Demon's Gullet before I got side tracked) in and that is just with spare time between running other games and setting up for a Starfinder game. Just be patient and it might come otherwise, get cracking.

Oh and how did your players like Tsar? I have attempted a pair of groups into that desolate place and both groups died because they didn't have enough motivation to stay out there (that and the characters died.. a lot..).
    We loved Tsar - used some of the mythic pieces and turned into an epic style adventure. RA totally continues that tale of ours in ways that we hopefully ensure the opt-in in using this new environment
    Last edited by Fionavar; April 18th, 2018 at 05:59.

Thread Information