FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    Blog Entries
    I just want to say that I have had a couple of bad players over the years, and sometimes you just need to reboot. I also find it annoying when players seem to go out of their way to derail an adventure. I mean, sometimes things go off in surprising directions, but other times it feels forced and obnoxious.

Regarding the advice to say yes to your players, I agree with that most of the time, but... I once had a player ask for a fairly unconventional mount early in the adventure, and he turned out to be this super-optimizer with character builds, which, combined with his crazy mount, really unbalanced the game. I found myself playing "against" the party and ultimately ended the game feeling very frustrated.

On the other hand, I have also had some really great players, so keep trying!

Hey Reviled. As most people have said, you aren't a bad GM nor are your players bad. As someone also learning fantasy ground with aspirations of taking his DMing skills from pen and paper to fantasy ground, I understand the difficulties associated with your situation. If you want some help, or to have someone willing to run through some of the modules/homebrew stuff with you- and potentially might ask for the same favor later on- feel free to give me a yell. I'd be happy to assist someone in a similar boat to myself.

One thing I would recommend, if players attempt to do certain things against the script, is to make the DC impossible (40+). They can charm and persuade all they want but they won't ever be able to change their mind. This is a typical method used when running scripted campaigns as they don't often allow for a lot of flexibility.

In your example, he casts charm person on the bugbear, it lasts an hour and regards him as a friendly acquaintance for the duration, but not necessarily his allies. Think of it like you see your old work buddy hanging around a bunch of murderers and rapists. Even though you might know him, the situation calls for you to be MUCH more scrupulous, hence practically immune to persuasion. The charmed condition is actually nowhere near as good as you might think,

"A charmed creature can’t Attack the charmer or target the charmer with harmful Abilities or magical effects.
    The charmer has advantage on any ability check to interact socially with the creature."

This means that your bugbear can still attack his allies and generally be a ****. Since his charm person spell falls off if your allies attack him, just have him attack them and they will HAVE to retaliate or just be pin cushions.

Another good example of being immune to persuasion is if some random guy broke into your house, murdered your entire family, and then tries to persuade you that they were all in an evil cult attempting to destroy the world. You'd probably think this guy was an idiot and kill him yourself. I doubt there is anything anyone could say in that situation that would yield a non-lethal response.

Those SPECIFIC cases aside, as the DM you are completely free to tell a player that they are not allowed to do something at your table. If they don't like it, then they are free to leave and find another table. If they decide they wanna destroy the entire village because they are evil, just let them know that you aren't running an evil campaign and that they are restricted to good or neutral actions (can still be mean just not violent) to friendly NPCs. (side note, evil campaigns almost NEVER last). Don't even waste any time arguing with them, be polite, but be firm with them.

I'm very familiar with D&D 5E and pretty familiar with fantasy grounds. If you'd like, I'd be happy to run in your LMoP campaign as a player and help you out! It might be best also if you advertise the campaign for new/newer players. They tend to be a lot more agreeable and accepting of mistakes.

When you guys decide on schedule, I hope to be able to join. As stated before, I have not yet played a game in FG. I was supposed to be in a game for FGCon, but some RL happened and I wasn't able to make it. LMoP would be a great place to start and learn the system.
    Twitch profile - https://www.twitch.tv/dedlivin
    Discord - Sinster(UTC -5)#8445
    Steam - Sinster_DJ
    Battle.net - Sinster#1874

Alright, It looks like I have about 6 people who have expressed interest so far. I'm not looking for a more permanent group at the moment, just so you all are aware, though I am open to it if things go well and we all mesh. I'll be in touch with anyone who has expressed interest here soon!
    Last edited by Reviledseraphim; April 17th, 2018 at 18:01.

sounds good.
    Steam - Sinster_DJ

I too would be interested (depending on the day of the week and time). I’ve played AD&D in the 80s but am totally new to FG and discord. Having trouble getting in a “starter” group. Let me know.

Loko

I'm new to FG, and 5e, but not D&D. Been a long time since I've played but if someone doesn't work out I'm down to play.

Hey all, I've been trying to add everyone who has expressed interest to a group, but I can't figure it out. I may need to turn invite only off. I'm going to change the group permissions, and if you are interested, come join me! The group is called "Food for Fledglings"

i found the group and joined.
    Steam - Sinster_DJ

Thread Information