Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

First Time DM, New to 5e, not technically proficient with FG yet

Hey guys,
    I'm just trying to gauge a level of interest here. I bought the ultimate license along with all the 5e content available not too long ago. I recently tried to play with some friends who I used to share a table with, and I chose the Lost Mines of Phandelver module to learn the ropes.

*MINOR SPOILERS FOR THE LOST MINES OF PHANDELVER TO FOLLOW* So we started using FG, used video chat, and initially, things seemed to go okay. In our 2nd session, one of my players charmed Klarg, the bugbear in the cave, and then successfully rolled a persuasion check to get him to change alignment and allegiance after the charm had worn off. We only made it through about 3 sessions, as the same player and I got frustrated with one another, as he continued to do crazy things.
    *SPOILERS END*

I'm still pretty new to DMing, FG, and to 5e as a whole, (I learned to play and did some DM sessions on house rules of 3.5) My players weren't fans of me not allowing them to deviate from the module in big ways, they weren't familiar with FG in the slightest, and I was a bad DM. I kind of lost my temper with the one who kept doing things that would break the module or derail the overall story. Another friend who was not playing but had been my confidant, approached me and asked if I would mind him taking over my time slot, (We play other sessions together, some of us live in different countries/time zones) and in my frustration, I told him to go for it. I had no interest in DMing if it was going to constantly be a stressful nightmare, because my one of my PC's was going to try to persuade everything under the sun with his 20 Charisma Sorcerer, fully knowing I'm running a "scripted" game.

This weekend, I DM'ed some oneshots on paper with some drinking buddies from work, we goofed around, no over all story, and it was great. We had a good time, we had some laughs, and nobody left mad. And it got me thinking. So, I was wondering if any players were interested in running some modules and maybe a homemade campaign at some point, people who are familiar with FG or invested in it, who wouldn't mind helping a new DM learn FG and maybe some patience/improv?

Thanks for reading - Reviled

Sorry that you haven't had a great experience in your first efforts to GM. It's good that you have reached out to get some more experience under your belt.

But...

Don't beat yourself up over it. Some players just won't be right for your GMing style. Sure, try and get a bit more experienced and consider what the players enjoy, but don't force yourself to run games that you don't enjoy. From what you've said, I don't think I'd enjoy how the players played in your game. Especially as they knew you're pretty new to GMing and still tried to derail your game.

Everyone has a different game type that they're looking for. If you players don't match yours and you're not enjoying it - then either reorganize the group (manage out the problem player/s), try to resolve issues in the group (and sometimes that just won't be possible) or look for a new group altogther. It can take you a while to find the right group mix for enjoyable, long-longing games.

The advantage is that you've come to a community that enables you to find the right group for you. You're not limited to the people you can get face-to-face around a table. You've got the whole world to search!
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I appreciate the advice. It's just frustrating trying to learn so much at once, haha. My friends aren't bad players, in fact, I usually enjoy watching my "problem player"'s approach to things when I'm just a PC, but I just don't think they understand the complexities of DMing on a VTT. Mechanically, there is a lot to learn, and I work for an IT company, so my first inclination when I get home is NOT to get on a computer and research another program,lol. In addition, trying to build a coherent narrative out of shenanigans in a module is hard

Quote Originally Posted by Reviledseraphim View Post
    My friends aren't bad players, in fact, I usually enjoy watching my "problem player"'s approach to things when I'm just a PC
    I didn't say they were bad players. Just that they don't gel well with, from what you said, the style of your GMing. What people want from RPG games can be completely different - as what we want and enjoy as a player can be completely different to what we enjoy and look for as a GM.

Anyway, hope you work through your learning curve and enjoy your gaming, whoever you play with.
    Last edited by Trenloe; April 16th, 2018 at 19:27.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I apologize, I wasn't trying to say you were insinuating they were bad, I just wanted to clarify for my own reasons that they weren't nightmare PCs

I would be interested in a "new player friendly" game. I have not yet played a game on FG, but I will be starting to DM a family group later this month. I would love to join with another group as a player and learn FG together.

Blog Entries
    Hey Reviledseraphim

Ive done a less than stellar job on many an occasion as GM.
    And my whole first year was probably pretty sub standard!
    I also had a player that I was butting heads with for quite a few sessions... driving me mad... and he is still part of the group more than 5 years later and its all good.

I think now that you have identified what the big challenges were you will probably find things a lot easier going and you will keep learning more.

Be very clear up front that you are newish to this and it would help you if for the first handful of sessions we dont get too adventurous while you ease into things might help. And the other one is - take a deep breath, relax and say "yes" when the player wants to try something. If you are not sure what should happen on the next roll maybe get some import from the player or group - they rolled high - ask them what happens - they roll low - ask them how they mess up. This will also help you see the kinda story they are looking for.

Always try to enjoy it and have fun. If you are not having fun for several sessions then try a different approach or try the other side of the table. You should be having fun too.

Ok, maybe if I find some others we can throw something together. If nothing else, we can hop on a discord channel, throw a module on, and just click through and tinker with everything

Hey, I'd be interested in playing! I have some prior experience with fantasy grounds, though it has been a while since I last gamed with it. I have a good bit of D&D experience, but the last group I was apart of fell apart some months ago, and I've been having trouble finding a new one. I'm definitely patient, and familiar enough with the 5e rule set to be able to offer help to an inexperienced DM here and there. Not a rule-lawyer, meta-gamer (on purpose anyway, though I stop when I catch myself doing it or have it pointed out to me), or deliberately ridiculous player. Definitely able to improvise and just go with the flow of a game, whether it's combat or role-play heavy. Hope to be able to be apart of your new group and get a fun game going!

-Mitchell Mueller

An excellent recommendation, Thank you

Thread Information