Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Blog Entries

LFP: Into the New World (D&D 5e, Sundays, sandbox campaign)

Into the New World (Status: Applications closed.)

FG License: Ultimate
    Game System: D&D 5e with some house rules

Time Zone: US Eastern (UTC -4)
    Day of week and time: Sundays 2-6 PM (1800-2200 UTC)
    Campaign ACTIVE
    Planned Duration & Frequency: Weekly
    Term: Long-term, open-ended

Text or Voice: Mix. I prefer to do as much RP as possible via voice, but text will be used where convenient (GM text blocks, speech in other languages, etc.)
    Voice software used: Discord (PtT only).

Roleplay & Combat mix: 33% Combat, 67% Roleplay
    Number of Players in game & needed: Need 4-6 players
    Character starting level & equipment: 1st level and either standard equipment or purchase, your choice.
    Character restrictions: Many (but not all) options from PHB and Xanathar's (and likely more sources as I find ones that'll fit). See Chargen PDF for details. All characters must be (and act) good-aligned.
    Game calendar link: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=3041

Details of your scenario: Sandbox game; the characters will be part of a colonization mission to a new continent. Exploration, intrigue, mystery...it's up to you to decide. Will your names be spoken in awe, or in hushed whispers meant to frighten misbehaving children?

Do you like having options and making big decisions rather than being led down a single "adventure path"? Are you happy to talk your way through situations, but willing to pick up the dice and roll init when the circumstances demand? Do you value party cooperation and everyone having fun over "what's in it for me"? Is getting loot secondary to creating an interesting character and a fun story?Are you allergic to rules lawyers and murder hoboes?

Do you want to MAKE some history, instead of just listening to the whooshing sound it makes as it rushes by?

Then drop me a DM. Tell me about your gaming experience. Tell me about the most fun you've ever had in a game. Tell me about the least fun time. Read through the docs I've attached, and tell me about a character concept you've got and why they'd be a better choice for a slot in the expedition than the knuckle-dragging mouth-breather who the Governor's envoy just got done interviewing...

...because just like the expedition itself, places will not be first-come, first-served. New players are welcome...attitude and enthusiasm for the concept can trump experience.

About the GM: I've been running games in various systems (including most versions of D&D) for over 38 years, though this is my first shot at running a campaign via FG (so please be willing to accept that I'll get better at it as we go). I've done sandbox games before, and had great fun with them. I'm not afraid to let you jump into the deep end of the pool, but you'll have to fish yourself out. And I love defying expectations.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Stormhound; June 20th, 2018 at 03:32. Reason: Update 6/14
    I'm not stupid, I'm not expendable, and I'm not going!

(But I'll happily be GM...)

Blog Entries

Questions are good!

Some good questions (and my answers) from one prospective player, provided for everyone's further consideration. (I'm glad to see my docs getting looked at, btw, and hoping to hear from more of those doing so.)

Q: How guided will the sandbox be? I ask as I often find initially or later on it can be hard to play in these (depending on the player and GM) due to goals being less apparent.
    A: As little as I can manage. I know that startup takes some guidance (to plant the seeds of all those decisions), and in fact I have a first "adventure" lined out to help do that, though it's still as free-form as I can manage. I know that groups can get stuck, and I'll help unstick as needed, since the idea is to have fun. One thing I've learned is to have someone...preferably a player, so that it's all from your perspective...keep track of any interesting items I may have floated out there, so that the group can go back later and investigate things they either forgot about or were too busy for. If that well ever runs dry...well, then I haven't been doing my job, have I?

Q: How much influence will our characters backstory have on the hooks and aspects of the game?
    A: I hope a fair bit. For instance, one of the questions I ask is "what is your character leaving behind?". Well, what gets left behind just might decide to come looking for you later. That's really the purpose in many of those questions, and I hope to fold measured doses of that stuff in to keep the characters busy. In fact, one of the things I rather enjoy doing when I can is making players choose among options that all seem pressing, and let the resultant juggling form its own set of consequences for future events.

Q: Can we take more flaws than normal? I personally find that it is the weakness that make a character stand out as well as their quirks rather than their strengths.
    A: Take whatever...and how many ever...flaws and quirks seem appropriate. I figure no one is going to hopelessly gimp their character...but I'll tell you if I'm concerned that you might. I don't expect anyone's character to be born on the first draft, and in fact the things that you start out with will prompt me to give you more tidbits of information about the world that can inform further choices. The whole thing is an organic process, well beyond just rolling some dice and assigning modifiers. It's a lot more fun that way, and it'll get people into a mindset to roleplay before we even officially start the game.

Q: Are you looking for a balanced party?
    A: Two answers, really:
    1: Not necessarily. To borrow some MMO terminology, I'm not all that worried about making sure we have the right amount of tanks, heals, and DPS. I will encourage people to start with something they want to play, because I do want to emphasize the roleplay. Figuring out tactics with an "imperfect" party can be fun, if people don't get hung up on what they don't have.
    2: Balanced how? A wide variety of skills may be the most helpful thing the group can have, even moreso than covering the stereotypical roles, since I hope to make the emphasis more on surviving by your wits.

If anyone has any more, feel free to ask them either here or privately.

Late reply, but I think I might be interested. I have a concept for maybe a pregnant character, non-human (native alien, perhaps?), maybe someone looking to colonize in a more literal sense? I think that would be fun to play.

If this becomes an every other week game, I would be able to play. I currently have a commitment every other Sunday, so this would have to be on the opposite side of the every other week cycle. Good FG knowledge. Experienced player. I can play any class but usually play some kind of support class such as cleric or bard.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DragynBait View Post
    If this becomes an every other week game, I would be able to play. I currently have a commitment every other Sunday, so this would have to be on the opposite side of the every other week cycle. Good FG knowledge. Experienced player. I can play any class but usually play some kind of support class such as cleric or bard.
    Perhaps online is a little different, but my past experience with "every other week" is that it quickly becomes "every once in a while" and then "whatever happened to", since a certain number of scheduling conflicts and family emergencies are par for the course in life. I figure if I aim for weekly and the group can manage 3x/month, we're faring pretty well. You're welcome to keep tabs and get in touch at a later date, though, if you like. Thanks for writing me!

Blog Entries
    Pre-weekend update: I've gotten some really great responses, but the expedition isn't full yet, so there's still time to get in on the fun if you're thinking about it.

I'm going to have some time available on Sunday during the game's time slot for people who want to do some of the mechanical part of chargen. Contact me for connection info.

I am a complete NEWB ... an I'm old .. like grey hair old. I have been trying to get into DND for years. I am free on Sundays (most of the time) and would really like to dive in an start my DND adventures.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TrulliS View Post
    I am a complete NEWB ... an I'm old .. like grey hair old. I have been trying to get into DND for years. I am free on Sundays (most of the time) and would really like to dive in an start my DND adventures.
    I look forward to seeing your character concept!

Blog Entries
    Applications closing soon

My thanks to everyone who's contacted me so far. I've gotten good interest in this game...makes me wish I'd come here sooner. At any rate, if you want in, I'm only accepting applications for player slots for a few more days...after that, I want to finalize my list and anyone new will be added as a potential alternate.

Please, please, please, if you want in, read the first message in this thread and the files I've uploaded and do as I've asked therein. Simply adding your name to the Game Calendar isn't enough; I want at least a short description/background of a character who you think would be ideally suited for this campaign, and a willingness to work to flesh that out into a much fuller background prior to play.

I sent a reply... i think i might've gone overboard but wanted to give a good Idea of myself and the character style i'd like to play.
    -Role-Player of 15 years +
    - Savage worlds, 3.5e / 5e DnD, Pathfinder, ShadowRunner
    End of the World

Thread Information