Starfinder Playlist
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    Yeah, we dropped the ball with advertising this time around. Just not enough free time at the point when we needed to get that organized.

It's also a bit of a quandary - we actually don't want the convention to get to be something huge that saps all of the admin/organizers time. We want to keep it as a free to participate, non-profit, community convention. If it gets too big, we probably couldn't do that as we'd have to invest a lot of time, and some money, in infrastructure, software, etc.. We've kinda seen 100 events as the upper-level of the number of events sweet-spot. We were a little lower this time around, and will definitely try to be better organized for FG Con 13.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Discord and booking went smoothly for me. I put my voice channel in early so I could email a direct link to my players and had them locate it a day or so before the game. This may have been a 2 edged sword as you mentioned that some channels were up to early. I did delete it 5 minutes after the game. DM's could have created a link right from their channel to make it easy for players to find instead of using the generic FG server link. Seemed to work well as everyone was in a mic'ed up at least 30 minutes early. I want to thank the organizers for all their efforts, I have a lot going on and struggled to prep for one game, much less coordinate FG CON and run sessions. You guys are the best! Huzzah to the organizers!
    Greg
    Ultimate license
    Current Timezone : EDT (GMT -4)
    Running: Various Adventurers League modules
    Playing: Curse of Strahd (Friday nights- OTG), Storm Kings Thunder (Thursday Nights- OTG)
    STEAM: (OTG) Teufelhunde87
    AL DCI: 4115443776

Quote Originally Posted by Teufelhunde87 View Post
    I put my voice channel in early so I could email a direct link to my players and had them locate it a day or so before the game.
    This is a good idea. There was some reports of invitations expiring (to the main Discord server itself), so we'd need to investigate further and think of a good way to handle all of the channels, links and access.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I played in 1 game and GM'd another at the last minute because the GM was not able to run their game during the given time slot. I had no issues with Discord. I think the sound quality is better than Teamspeak, but there is a bit of a learning curve when you're using it for the first time. The game I played in was fun. Good GM that I wouldn't mind playing at his table again.

I stepped up to run a game last minute. I sent out an email days in advance with everything I thought the players would need to connect to discord and my FG instance. They were provided date/time when the server would be up and the other typical game details one would expect. I had 5 confirmations. The disappointing thing was only 2 people showed up on time. 2 people were an hour late because one was having issues with Discord and the other miscalculated when to show up. I also had 1 no show.

We only got in 2 hours of gaming, but it was still a fun 2 hours and better than nothing at all.
    Ultimate License Holder
    Timezone: UTC -6

DM: 1e Ruins of Adventure, Curse of the Azure Bonds
    DM: 5e Descent into Avernus
    D&D 1e to 5e adventures converted: Keep on the Borderlands, White Plume Mountain, Tomb of Horrors, Against the Giants, Descent into the Depths of the Earth, Shrine of the Kuo-Toa, Vault of the Drow, Queen of the Demon Web Pits
    Transitioning from D&D to DCC

May your dice rolls be ever in your favor.

Blog Entries
    Ive got a big thank you for Baron28. We had five players booked for a session that I couldnt make contact with the GM for.
    I had just emailed all the players letting them know and asking if anyone would be interested in GMing.
    Baron28 signed up a few hours later and when I explained the situation he jumped right in and took over as GM!
    Thanks mate.

Blog Entries
    Ive usually been the one doing the bulk of the advertising on other forums.
    I stepped right back on FG commitments after FG Con 10. We had less than 50 events at FG Con 11.
    FG Con 12 almost hit 90 sessions again. I still didnt get out and pimp it like 10 and earlier was - but thanks in a large part to the guys and girls from Expedition to Sleeper Island, Pronobis, Savage Mojo and Fantasy Grounds College we had twice as many sessions as FG Con 11. A very big thank you to those teams and to the other fine GMs who give up so much time to run sessions.

The SmiteWorks team have a bunch of social media ambassadors(?) who I will be engaging with far better before FG Con 13.
    Discord I think was a good move - feature wise there isnt much difference however a lot of people seem to lurk in Discord and so it was much easier to make up numbers on sessions that were short.

Hi all! This was my first Con. Me and another guy from my weekly group created a cool one shot that went really well. We had a full house both nights and even pulled in a last second guy who was looking for a game. We'll see you in October!
    Hawk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    This is a good idea. There was some reports of invitations expiring (to the main Discord server itself), so we'd need to investigate further and think of a good way to handle all of the channels, links and access.
    When you create/request the link rheir is a switch that you can toggle to make rhe link permanent.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    The lurking factor is definitely more noticeable on Discord, which is good if you are scrambling for players (or a GM, apparently ).

In my previous post, I neglected to say thank you to Trenloe and damned for all of their hard work. I seem to always be working on FG Con weekends so I haven't attempted to host a game for awhile, but I have managed to play in a few of them. It's such a great opportunity to try a new system or just game with a new group of people for the night. The community is fortunate to have you guys around!

Where the north begins and pure water flows, eastern time zone USA
    Blog Entries
    First I want to thank you guys who organize FG-Con every six months on your own time. You are appreciated and I am sure we don't say it enough given the amount of effort you put in each and every FG-Con.
    Since I was working with the Savage Mojo team there were a few things we had extra support in.
    As soon as we knew that this FG-Con would be on Discord Savage Mojo went forward with a previously discussed plan to set up their own Discord server, and it greatly amplified our ability to work with the new GM's individually or in groups, for GM's to get their questions answered, and start connecting our various groups on Discord. Because this is the major thing I DO like about Discord, members of multiple servers have a very easy time moving between servers on Discord, something Teamspeak doesn't do at all. So by the time FG-Con arrived our GM's were all familiar with the system (some of us had run or played on Discord before with other groups and we had all of those connections as well). Now Savage Mojo has their own server with most of us linked to both FG and Savage Mojo and quite a few others, and there we offer games, our bi-weekly sessions of the Legends of the Round Table one shots and sometimes just discussion with the Savage Mojo team, new players, anyone who wants to join the server and participate is welcome.
    As for promotions, well Savage Mojo is a company, so for weeks they have been promoting FG-Con and the games we ran specifically on all of their social media sites, I spammed all of my personal ones a few times a week, and shared out information anywhere and everywhere we could. The moderators put a LOT of work into FG-Con, and each and everyone of us can do more to help them by promoting on our own behalf. It is everyone's efforts in the end that determine a good FG-Con or bad one, so in addition to running games, we all need to own that and take some responsibiulity for promotion as well. Just my 2 cents.
    And thanks again to all of you who put so much effort and passion into making these events a great place to meet new players, GM's and try new things.

Thread Information