5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Saving a POWER as a Spell?

So I have a little orb which has 4 weak charges of healing ... 1d4 HP per charge.

I want to be able to have the magic item contain the effect so that at worst the player can drag a spell off the description and into their powers.

This works (ish) but here are a few problems:

1. The spell shows up as a cantrip, not a power.
    2. I have to manually change the group to a power.
    3. I have to then manually add a number of charges to it.

Questions:
    1. Is there a way to flag an effect as a power?
    2. Is there a way to save a number of charges into an effect?

1. No because you are creating the item as a spell so when you drag it into the actions tab FG thinks it is a spell. And since it won't have a level it creates it as a cantrip.
    2. No, charges can only be set up via preparation mode or in the power group.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    1. No because you are creating the item as a spell so when you drag it into the actions tab FG thinks it is a spell. And since it won't have a level it creates it as a cantrip.
    2. No, charges can only be set up via preparation mode or in the power group.
    Thank you. To clarify, I'm creating an actual item, and also a spell, the spell link just sits within the item.

Is there a way to create an effect for items that doesn't involve the spell? ie, I add it to my inventory and it pops up on abilities as a use once thing... like a potion or something?

No, apart from weapons items do not create actions in the actions tab when you drag and drop them into the character sheet. This is logical when you think about it since the actions tab would quickly fill up with all sorts of unneeded items.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    No, apart from weapons items do not create actions in the actions tab when you drag and drop them into the character sheet. This is logical when you think about it since the actions tab would quickly fill up with all sorts of unneeded items.
    Well, I wish one could optionally attach a power or spell to an item. Not ALL items... but a potion which could heal and then have a new property which deletes 1 count from the inventory.

For things like potions of healing and such like I create a power group called consumables and add in effects for each different thing that the player might want to use or which it is worth keeping a count of. Each item is set to a number of uses/Once and the player can then tick off each use as they consume the item. Once they are all done the item will disappear from the power tab and no longer be available. Also they won't reappear on a short or long rest. If, however, the character gains another item of the same nature they can go into preparation mode and untick one use. I don't bother putting things like potions in the inventory since it matters not a jot that they are in there. All such things are controlled via the power group.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gix View Post
    Well, I wish one could optionally attach a power or spell to an item. Not ALL items... but a potion which could heal and then have a new property which deletes 1 count from the inventory.
    There is a community extension that does something.like this. Advanced Item Effects or some such. Never used it so not sure.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    There is a community extension that does something.like this. Advanced Item Effects or some such. Never used it so not sure.
    The Advanced Item Effects extension doesn't do heals. At least not this kind of healing.

Thread Information